French Booze

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluto, Smatter Noguts, Patchez

gede
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Re: French Booze

Post by gede »

oettinger wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:27 am
gede wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:12 am
I’m partial to pastis on a hot day, certainly one of france’s best exports.
With ice cold water, yes it`s refreshing
Can it be found cheaply in the eu? It’s always pricey here. Pernod and Ricard are the only Available brands

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Ouzo and Rake do the trick, but french pastis for 12 bucks the bottle is available
Drink!

gede
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by gede »

Oh yeah. Ouzo is my go to come the summer months, budget pastis

Backbone Robby Bobby
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Backbone Robby Bobby »

Mr Boozificator wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:58 am
Cocktail with good Cognac or good Armagnac, shall normally get you beheaded all over france. It would be like saying: "I definitely should mix this eighteen years old Laphroaig with orange juice" in the heart Scotland.
Now, people mix bad Cognac with grapefruit juice and indian tonic. Honestly you don't need Cognac for that, you might as well buy an alcopop and pretend you're a sixteen years old girl.

As for Armagnac, the only "cocktail" I have ever had is Floc de Gascogne: you mix young Armagnac with fresh grape juice, then you let it sit in a cellar until the end of winter before filtering and embottling. Let it rest another ten month and you should be good.
Ok, it's a "cocktail" with a rather long preparation but it is certainly very good. Plus we all know you prepare all sorts of things home. This might be an idea.
I was also very shocked when I discovered that the French youth in the city of Cognac (and the whole region) youth up til 35 make cocktails on Cognac, while myself, I drink it like an old man and mostly when I wanna fall asleep like a baby.
Schweppes agrumes is the most common stuff the Frenchmen in Cognac itself mix their Cognac with.

Backbone Robby Bobby
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

gede wrote:
For the little story I can tell you that the founder of Pastis born in Marseille is Paul Ricard (1909-1997) who is highly considered and especially in southern France (please do not mix up French Riviera with Provence). A very humble and modern man who was often ahead of his time.

You ought to know that there's a funny little "Pastis-war" between Marseille- people and the other cities nearby. In Marseille you drink the brand Pastis 51 (possibly Casanis) and anywhere else Ricard, even if both brands belong to Pernod-Ricard. Myself, I was a Pastis 51 rebel for a long time but I recently been converted to Ricard.

Also, it's common and accepted since ever to mix your pastis with a little syryp:
-with mint it's called Perroquet
-with grenadine it's called Tomate
-with orgeat (the most common mix) it's called Mauresque
-with Coca Cola, it's called Mazout (means heating oil...)

If you're having a small pastis in a mini glass, it's called Momie (mummy like dead human)
If you're having a double dose, you ask for a 102 (51x2...)

ImageImageImage

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Very interesting information.

I think I wouldn`t mix anything in my pastis. Those examples you gave us there sound rather horrific to be honest
Drink!

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Backbone Robby Bobby wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:54 pm
gede wrote:
For the little story I can tell you that the founder of Pastis born in Marseille is Paul Ricard (1909-1997) who is highly considered and especially in southern France (please do not mix up French Riviera with Provence). A very humble and modern man who was often ahead of his time.

You ought to know that there's a funny little "Pastis-war" between Marseille- people and the other cities nearby. In Marseille you drink the brand Pastis 51 (possibly Casanis) and anywhere else Ricard, even if both brands belong to Pernod-Ricard. Myself, I was a Pastis 51 rebel for a long time but I recently been converted to Ricard.

Also, it's common and accepted since ever to mix your pastis with a little syryp:

If you're having a small pastis in a mini glass, it's called Momie (mummy like dead human)

ImageImageImage
Your knowledge of our drinking habits is both stupendous and perfectly accurate.
Are you currently residing in France?
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Backbone Robby Bobby
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

May I please ask you to just read again all my proper behaviour/introduction? May I please ask you to accept that I'm French living in France but happen to speak your language?

Backbone Robby Bobby
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Mr Boozificator wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:18 am
Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:54 pm
gede wrote:

ImageImageImage
Your knowledge of our drinking habits is both stupendous and perfectly accurate.
I'm FRENCH living in FRANCE. Are you?

Backbone Robby Bobby
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Mr Boozificator wrote:
Could somebody tell this person who I am?

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Mr. Boozificator is an old school board member. He was merely asking a simple question. No need to go off about "who you are".

He also speaks your language by the way. He's French you see.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Yeah PM him in your native tongue, he won`t bite
Drink!

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:40 pm
Mr Boozificator wrote:
Could somebody tell this person who I am?
As we say in French: "tu viens de passer pour un couillon".
Sinon salut et profite bien du board, on y rencontre des gens extras.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.