Your Top 5 Cocktails for 2012-2014

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluto, Smatter Noguts, Patchez

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Your Top 5 Cocktails for 2012-2014

Post by Badfellow »

What are your Top 5 cocktails? In no particular order?
And more importantly, WHY?

It's a query I propose to the board every year or so, as the answers tend to remain in flux and tastes are known to change. The question never gets old. New ingredients become available daily while venerable classics are constantly rediscovered. The world is a shaker and you are the maker. Please, mix yourself a drink, and take some time to reflect.

Here are my Five...

The Manhattan is perfect, unpretentious sophistication. Even in surly blue collar establishments and your better dives, it's preparation is almost always treated with respect by the bartender. The selections of whiskeys, bitters and sweet vermouths with which to formulate just keep getting better where I feel like we're in this cocktail's golden age. Simply said, if the Manhattan had tits and a pulse, I'd marry it.

Gin & Tonic- Balmy summer days are not complete without G&T in the shade, really more of a quenching, precious jewel than it is a cocktail. Again, there are so many bloody fucking gins from which to choose it makes me happy, but my leaning is toward a London Dry to balance the sweetness of the tonic. Something like two or three parts gin with one part tonic water and a quarter lime over liberal ice, as cool as a linen suit.

A Sidecar is the perfect spot of bright and boozy citrus after a heavy meal. I've had it many ways, and my favorite thus far is one which substituted Maker's Mark for a portion of the cognac made by MJM, a fellow Drunkard and bartender in my locale.

Pimm's Cup- Well, I would have normally written the idea off as overly sweetened crap. But it was one summer night that Oggar, Barca and myself engaged in repeat pitchers of this cocktail at a mock-up English pub in Minneapolis. The pitcher came served with a muddler for pounding hell out of the citrus, mint, cucumber and various other botanicals lurking in the bottom. For our taste, a healthy dose of Wild Turkey 101 over the top would have met with favor. But the concept perceivers and I look to fill a punch bowl as summertime begins to roll.

The Martini still remains for me the paragon of a savory cocktail, the only place where dry vermouth and I can be friends. As I've gotten older, I like them a little bit dirty too. Just a drizzle of brine with the vermouth. Oh, and then you realize that olives can be stuffed with blue cheese or minced cottage bacon and pickled South African Peppers, or that the olive can be skipped altogether, replaced by a fillet of lox rolled with capers.

Certainly there are a billion more. But I've committed to these. For now.
Let's see how you manage.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Re: Your Top 5 Cocktails for 2012-2014

Post by Bluto »

Sangria Missus Bluto and I hosted a number of Sangria Saturday parties for our friends and neighbors in the last two years. Sangria isn't my #1 choice but it has proven to be a good stepping off point for getting g a part started. We usually make 2 or 3 batches and includes seasonal fruit with different wines and mixers. One standard, though, is 2 bottles Cabernet, 1 bottle Noir, 1 Cup brandy, 1/4 amaretto, 4 sliced oranges,1 sliced lemmon, and 4 sliced apples.

Too drunk to finish more drinks now, but look for something wonderful with tequila to be posted soo .
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

Gin und Tonic
Bur's Splash
Whisky Sour
Whisky Seven Up smash thingie
Chilivodka Cacao.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Manhattan, yeah. With my latest fave, Woodford Reserve cherry bitters. Unfortunately, I can't find the little bottle right now, so I'm breakfasting on straight bourbon over ice. I'm going to have some Tony the Tiger, but with milk, not booze, because, that would be just so many kinds of wrong. Another favorite cocktail, one I dreamed up, involves all kinds of girly sweet stuff, such as amaretto and pineapple juice, but I don't have the recipe right now. I know the base was bourbon.
like tears in rain

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Pretty much bloody mary, just because the vodka is the cheapest stuff to buy here other than nauseating korn and it`s not sweet.

Though yesterday it got really warm outside for the first time this year and the sun was shining brightly, I suddenly craved some daiquiri / caipirinha. Maybee the hormones kickin in for spring/summer-time or wanderlust, don`t know.

Enjoy some white russian from time to time, because I love coffee. But last time the coffee liqueur it bought was so damning sweet it was more like chocolate mix than coffee. The mixture ended up to be almost half vodka, half cream (later milk, works fine)

Whisky sour. Again not sweet. And it looks classy and cool not to fancy

Then on hot summer days I do my own frozen daiquiri, but with cheap vodka and strawberrys. Call it the oettinger-mash if you will

To sum it up I have to say that I often drift far away from original recipes, because of availability and mostly money reasons. But it always gets the job done.
Drink!

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Oh, and nothing beats an icy cold glass of champagne (okay, sparkling wine, whatever)
like tears in rain

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Savage wrote:Oh, and nothing beats an icy cold glass of champagne (okay, sparkling wine, whatever)
True as that may be ma'am, it is technically not a cocktail. But since we're already there, how about a glass of prosecco for breakfast? Shhhhhhh... don't tell the French. It's just as good as champagne but waaaaay cheaper.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

Badfellow wrote:
Savage wrote:Oh, and nothing beats an icy cold glass of champagne (okay, sparkling wine, whatever)
True as that may be ma'am, it is technically not a cocktail. But since we're already there, how about a glass of prosecco for breakfast? Shhhhhhh... don't tell the French. It's just as good as champagne but waaaaay cheaper.
There's a difference between coktails and highballs as well, but let's not get technical and drink:

The local store has been selling fresh orange juice/guava by the half gallon, I'm partial to adding a little pinapple juice and dark + 151 rum and throwing it in a blender with ice, which, I guess, is neither a cocktail or highball but whatever foofy fuck tropical description works.

Poverty has also led me to the appreciation of my recently deceased cousin's favorite, the Dexter. Concocted decades before the TV show, it's as simple as cola and vodka, being careful to use only the cheapest varieties of both, purchased in 2 liter sizes. You can get good and buzzed 3 nights in a row for $4 per night.

Finally, with the season approaching, teh Brutal Hammer with the above Crystal Palace
Bum Vodka mixed in generous proportion with two-buck chuck or any red wine with a screw off cap. I think someone here might call this Christ on a Crutch but that may be a different thing altogether. I pulled this one out at my wife's sister's evangelical Easter event to the disaprobation of the little ministers and fascination of nieces and nephews, and have not been invited back, much to my relief.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Smatter Noguts wrote:3 nights in a row for $4 per night.
I once knew a brothel... buf they asked for 8 bucks the beer
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Bur wrote:Gin und Tonic,
I think I am back into gin.

But wiht the Quinine

Amen

Now back to the previous channel

Fuck i need to stopt tyoing on this

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

mistah willies wrote:
Bur wrote:Gin und Tonic,
I think I am back into gin.

But wiht the Quinine

Amen

Now back to the previous channel

Fuck i need to stopt tyoing on this
Go on!

Cubra libre, cool name, easy to mix
Drink!

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

What's that drink, with vodka and red wine? The Fuck You Up? No, that's not it. But Tiny Bulcher, in the Donald Westlake Dortmunder series, always drank it. Okay, Padraig (remember him?) called it something something. Damn. Can't remember. It's kind of learly (late and early)

Brutal Hammer? Is that it?

Yeah, I think that is it. And my summer version is the Brutal Blonde: champs and vodka. Tasty way to chill out on a hot day
like tears in rain

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Savage wrote:What's that drink, with vodka and red wine? The Fuck You Up? No, that's not it...Brutal Hammer? Is that it?...
Yes but with a definite article.
Savage wrote:...And my summer version is the Brutal Blonde: champs and vodka...
Actually, it already has a name. It is called a "White Bear."
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

White bear? That's dumb. I'll go with the blonde.
like tears in rain

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Savage wrote:White bear? That's dumb. I'll go with the blonde.
A rose by any other name...is still a bloody rose!
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage