Your Top 5 Cocktails for 2012-2014

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluto, Smatter Noguts, Patchez

Hardcore Stig
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Re: Your Top 5 Cocktails for 2012-2014

Post by Hardcore Stig »

In no particular order:

Long Island Iced Tea: At first it was the perceived strength, but I genuinely like this drink, it has the right blend of flavours for me. It is also a great litmus test of people and bars. Do they use Cointreau/Triple sec or omit it, do they use proper sweet and sour mix? As a long drink, it is a go to choice for me.

White Russian: Simple tasty and kind of elegant in its own way., the chance to add flair like choc topping is good too.

Moscow Mule: Again keep it simple, ginger lime and vodka, easy to make hard to mess up. Has the luxury of being easy to modify with available materials too.

Margarita: Made properly though, fresh limes, Cointreau or grand mariner, gold tequila. It's another good litmus test of a places quality.

Martini: properly donw, wash the glass with bitters, 3 parts gin, 1 part vermouth. It's elegant in the glass, oozes class to even the most unknowledgable and kicks like a mule!
"That's only a problem if you stop drinking"

"Nationality? I'm a drunkard, and that makes me a man of the world"

"The word "pub" should never need to be followed by the word "why""

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Zombies are all the rage these days
Drink!

Hardcore Stig

Post by Hardcore Stig »

For me, I'm not a fan of Pineapple o any tiki cocktail is pretty much off my list. Shame as they all look amazing!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Then try the Cousin Eddie perfect for breakfast. Got eggs, cream and pepper. Ask for one at your local starbucks. Try aunt Terry also, say you lost her in that place somewhere.

P.S. Look Savage, "garnish with cinnamon", just dip your toast in it.
Drink!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Bloody Mary. Simple yet infinite in variety. The myriad combos this little number comes in makes it easy to make with whats on hand. What's on hand also inspires a large amount of the variations of this savory drink.

I'll second Stig on the White Russian. It's my go to for a crowded bar. Easy to make and 2 liquors in it. It also retains the Black Russian option for when they get really slammed as imposed by the Rules.

The Cuba Libre. Nothing says summer like rum, coke and a splash of lime. Back porch sitting and campfires at the river. Love them for that.

The Golden Sunrise. This one I like because I came up with it. Take your Tequila Sunrise recipe and swap the tequila with Goldschlagger. Damn fine anytime of the year drink.

The Mint Julep. The Kentucky Derby. Yeah.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

I think I like my cocktails mixed by those who make the bases of lovely Miss Ethyl.

Out of the bottle.

Spiced Rum.

Vodak from Cold RIver for its buttery flavor.

Whiskery for its errant char subtlelties

and now, Gin, for the intersting volatiles in her frgarant spices.

No, not a snob here. Maybe a bit of a purist?

Or I don't know whatin thee hell I know

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

I like the tropical, but minus any sort of coconut. Hate coconut. Stinks. Makes me sick. Today, the old man and I had some kind of frosty lemonady concoction--citrus rum and lemonade and some other stuff. Very good. We broke our usual rule of one sweet cocktail, and had two each. The sound of my dentist crying (not rubbing his palms together, because he is this great decent Mormon dude, who loves his patients and hates that our teeth are rotting out of our heads, even though that rot is his bread and butter and nice SUV and kid's college tuition) reverberated in my ears as we paid the check. We didn't even eat real food--more like fatty snax. If it ain't fried, it might as well have not died, am I right?
like tears in rain

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

The u-boot or submarine is some nasty stuff. Ruining two drinks in one
Drink!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Hardcore Stig wrote:...Long Island Iced Tea: At first it was the perceived strength, but I genuinely like this drink, it has the right blend of flavours for me. It is also a great litmus test of people and bars. Do they use Cointreau/Triple sec or omit it, do they use proper sweet and sour mix? As a long drink, it is a go to choice for me......
Couldn't agree more, Stig. I love a good Long Island.

This is one of the first cocktails I discovered in my proto-Drunkard days before reaching legal drinking age. There used to be a certain bar in the city that more or less refused to ID anyone (it was ran by a West Indies fellow who figured "if you were a man, you were entitled to drink" regardless of age.) The Long Island Iced Tea was a staple of that place, ordered by the glass or in pitchers, distinguished notably by their content of dark Caribbean dark rum, regular Bombay Gin and Grand Marnier. They would also sometimes be ordered with a dash of bitters or tonic water added which I found quite interesting.

Patchez wrote: ...The Mint Julep...
Why hells, I say suh, hells yes. Try it with rye and brown sugar sometime.

Usually by June, it'll be time to start an infusion of Kentucky Colonel mint into a case of bourbon for the coming days of balmy drunkenness. I seem to remember seeing a bottle of Makers Mark once with mint green wax over the top. Or have I been licking the toad again?
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Hardcore Stig

Post by Hardcore Stig »

Badfellow
Couldn't agree more, Stig. I love a good Long Island.

This is one of the first cocktails I discovered in my proto-Drunkard days before reaching legal drinking age. There used to be a certain bar in the city that more or less refused to ID anyone (it was ran by a West Indies fellow who figured "if you were a man, you were entitled to drink" regardless of age.) The Long Island Iced Tea was a staple of that place, ordered by the glass or in pitchers, distinguished notably by their content of dark Caribbean dark rum, regular Bombay Gin and Grand Marnier. They would also sometimes be ordered with a dash of bitters or tonic water added which I found quite interesting.

That sounds awesome and I agree with his sentiments, although I would amend it to if you are old enough to hold your drink you should be allowed it.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

The kamikaze always got me over the edge.
Like Lady S. I too can`t stand coconut. Also loathe everything containing mint (would try a decent tooth-paste mix though). I mentioned the white russian before, it`s really only a stituational thing. When I want one, then badly. But mostly I lke the "frutier" drinks, may it be sweet or preferably sour. They go down faster and don`t clog the stomach.
Drink!

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Sheesh! I thought that everybody knew that you put the lime in the coconut (and then add a shedload of rum).
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Palinka wrote:Sheesh! I thought that everybody knew that you put the lime in the coconut (and then add a shedload of rum).

Hehehheee!

I alsways wondered, but could never find out what the hell that fine groove form the day actually meant?

Alittle help young Dr. P?

Miklo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Miklo »

I am not a big fan of cocktails, I generally drink everything neat, maby a few dashes of bitters in my whiskey if I want something different. For those times I do mix, my top 5 are:

Manhatten
Martini
Gin Ricky
Margarita
Presedente brandy and coke
“And in my mind, this settles the issue. I would never drink cologne, and am therefore not an alcoholic.”
― Augusten Burroughs

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

1) Gin & Tonic
2) Bloody Mary
3) Gin & Tonic
4) Bloody Mary
5) Either of the above
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be