The Martini - just a classy way of ordering a glass of gin?

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluto, Smatter Noguts, Patchez

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: The Martini - just a classy way of ordering a glass of g

Post by booznik »

frankennietzsche wrote:
Dale wrote:
David94 wrote:Just wondering what peoples' thoughts are on this. I'm not a huge fan of clear spirits, don't get me wrong, I do like them but much prefer dark rum and scotch. But every time I've seen a Martini made, it seems to be a glass of cold gin with the vermouth just waved somewhere in the general direction of the drink. Am I drinking in the wrong bars or are there subleties I'm missing? Discuss :-)
David
I also like Rum a lot. And if the Martini was prepared by waving the Vermouth in the general direction of the Gin the Martini was prepared perfectly.
I beliebe that this was Churchill's preferred method.
It was, but Churchill was admirable for a great many things except his Martini preference. His choice of Martini was not one of them. The great man did not enjoy a Martini, he enjoyed a glass of gin. He enjoyed it a lot, and made a career out of it, and who can argue with that.

He took more out of alcohol than alcohol took out of him.
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Rusty_Shackleford
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Rusty_Shackleford »

booznik wrote: It was, but Churchill was admirable for a great many things except his Martini preference. His choice of Martini was not one of them. The great man did not enjoy a Martini, he enjoyed a glass of gin. He enjoyed it a lot, and made a career out of it, and who can argue with that.

My understanding is that vermouth was almost impossible to get during the war, so he'd take his loaded shaker, point it towards France, take a nod (in acknowledgement of the lack and brilliance brought forth by the vermouth) and continue in making his drink.

Rusty_Shackleford
Booze Head
Booze Head

David94 wrote:Just wondering what peoples' thoughts are on this. I'm not a huge fan of clear spirits, don't get me wrong, I do like them but much prefer dark rum and scotch. But every time I've seen a Martini made, it seems to be a glass of cold gin with the vermouth just waved somewhere in the general direction of the drink. Am I drinking in the wrong bars or are there subleties I'm missing? Discuss :-)
David
A proper Martini is a thing of beauty and something you will not find in any modern drinking establishment (unfortunately). I think that ship left about 2 generations ago. It's one of my favourite drinks. Here's how I like mine:

-4:1 ratio of gin to dry vermouth. Use a quality gin (Beefeater is always a great choice) and quality dry vermouth. We can no longer get Noilly Prat here - I definitely recommend it if it is available in your area. Martini Rossi is good if NP isn't available. Feel free to experiment with the ratio, but dry vermouth is a part of the cocktail, adds a lot, and is fantastic - just using a fine spray is total bullshit. Be warned that it can go bad as it is a wine product, and should be kept refridgerated. Chuck it if it gets too old. It's cheap!

-load up your shaker with ice. Add the gin. Add the dry vermouth.

-add orange bitters. I cannot state how much this adds to the cocktail. This is what the original recipe called for, and this is what your grandpa would have enjoyed. It brings the two fantastic ingredients together. Angostura Orange, Regan's 6, or Fee's Orange all are completely acceptable. 2, 3 drops tops. It's powerful stuff. Buy or order some if you don't have any. Even a small bottle will last you a lifetime.

-stir, NEVER SHAKE. James Bond is a fictional character, like Jesus or Bill Clinton. If you want a brilliant clear drink, you will stir. Stir it liberally. At a certain point, your cocktail is gonna be very cold, and no more ice will melt. Don't be afraid of stirring for too long - an equalibrium will be reached. You can't dillute it too much. You want to add the water to the drink to take off the edge and make it smoother. It adds to the cocktail, trust me! You're not losing any alcohol content amigos.

-strain that glorius bitch into a pre-frozen cocktail glass

-add your garnish of choice. Both the lemon twist and olive are acceptable. I've personally never tried a lemon twist so I can't comment on them. I've only tried a normal olive, and jumbo almond stuffed olives. I love the latter! Some day I'll try blue cheese or anchovy stuffed. Basically, find an olive you love, or use a lemon twist if that's your preference.

-let the drink warm a bit (my preference), kick back like Bogart, and enjoy THE classic cocktail. You are the boss :).

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Rusty_Shackleford wrote:
booznik wrote: It was, but Churchill was admirable for a great many things except his Martini preference. His choice of Martini was not one of them. The great man did not enjoy a Martini, he enjoyed a glass of gin. He enjoyed it a lot, and made a career out of it, and who can argue with that.

My understanding is that vermouth was almost impossible to get during the war, so he'd take his loaded shaker, point it towards France, take a nod (in acknowledgement of the lack and brilliance brought forth by the vermouth) and continue in making his drink.
A lot of quotes and behaviors have been wrongly attributed to Churchill. Make no mistake though, he was the Winston. He was the PM. If he'd wanted vermouth, he could have gotten it one way or another. That said, I haven't yet found an ironclad source that proves the "waving in the direction of France" legend.

It just gets repeated a lot, by drunks. Like us.

As for shaking vs stirring... please stop with this prohibition. They are both valid martinis. They are. Gin doesn't bruise. A shaken martini is not invalid. The only bone I have to pick with Bond is using vodka and calling it a martini, unqualified. Martinis are made with gin, shaken or stirred. A vodka martini is made with vodka, shaken or stirred.

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

Rusty_Shackleford
Booze Head
Booze Head

booznik wrote:
Rusty_Shackleford wrote:

A lot of quotes and behaviors have been wrongly attributed to Churchill. Make no mistake though, he was the Winston. He was the PM. If he'd wanted vermouth, he could have gotten it one way or another. That said, I haven't yet found an ironclad source that proves the "waving in the direction of France" legend.

It just gets repeated a lot, by drunks. Like us.

As for shaking vs stirring... please stop with this prohibition. They are both valid martinis. They are. Gin doesn't bruise. A shaken martini is not invalid. The only bone I have to pick with Bond is using vodka and calling it a martini, unqualified. Martinis are made with gin, shaken or stirred. A vodka martini is made with vodka, shaken or stirred.
Oh yes, the "bruising" thing is bullshit, I admit that. But the drink will be clearer and sexier if stirred, and IMHO, tastes better. I actually did a blind taste test with this. It's just my preference, as outlined above, sir.

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Rusty_Shackleford wrote:Oh yes, the "bruising" thing is bullshit, I admit that. But the drink will be clearer and sexier if stirred, and IMHO, tastes better. I actually did a blind taste test with this. It's just my preference, as outlined above, sir.
This is validness. My opinion has always been, drink 'em as you like 'em. Having done the blind taste test, you have staked your claim. Fully respected.

The only problem I have is with Martini snobs who claim one form is the only form.

As for me? I unashamedly drink most of my Martinis on the rocks. Martini purist snobs burst blood vessels before me.

Rusty_Shackleford
Booze Head
Booze Head

booznik wrote:
Rusty_Shackleford wrote:Oh yes, the "bruising" thing is bullshit, I admit that. But the drink will be clearer and sexier if stirred, and IMHO, tastes better. I actually did a blind taste test with this. It's just my preference, as outlined above, sir.
This is validness. My opinion has always been, drink 'em as you like 'em. Having done the blind taste test, you have staked your claim. Fully respected.

The only problem I have is with Martini snobs who claim one form is the only form.

As for me? I unashamedly drink most of my Martinis on the rocks. Martini purist snobs burst blood vessels before me.

Drink 'em as you like 'em! Cheers sir!

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Rusty_Shackleford wrote:Drink 'em as you like 'em! Cheers sir!
In the words of the incomparably soused, the King Cockeyed, Mistah Willies...

DRINK!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Ok guys grab the boards and the nails. I'm about to crucify myself here but I like the perfect martini. 1 1/2 oz of Gin and a 1/2 oz each sweet and dry vermouth, olive.

As stated above I like it how I like it.

Have yet to try the drys with the addition of the bitters though.

Also looking back on the history, I'm kind of keen on trying it how my great grandfather would have drank them. The Martinez.

Ingredients:
(a recreation of Professor Jerry Thomas’ 1887 recipe):
1 oz. Ransom’s Old Tom gin
2 oz. Carpano Antica sweet vermouth
2 dashes of Luxardo maraschino liqueur
1 dash of Boker’s Bitters
1 quarter slice of lemon

Method:
Combine all ingredients (save the lemon) in a mixing glass. Add ice. Shake thoroughly and strain into a coupe glass. Place the lemon in the glass and serve.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Gawdayam.

Well, haven't yet found a way to make them gins taste bad at all.

So, I guess it's like throwing different clothes on a beautiful woman.

DRINK!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

In place of the olive, sometimes a person may take the extra moment to thread themselves a plastic cocktail sword, a cutlass I believe it is, strung with jumbo capers from the most sun drenched Mediterraneousness of the Mediterranean. The caper is much smaller than the olive, but it's flavor is much greater and it is destined for London dry gin.

The Colonies have been distilling some new and peculiar gin in the recent era. Eschewing your more "neutral" grain spirits, there have been remarkable experiments conducted with all manner of corn, malt and rye in an equal capacity to the fecund botanicals of the New World. Some of this "gin" has even been audaciously aged in oak, giving it an amber much akin to whiskey with the flavors likewise best appreciated free of ice or other adulterations. It is an exciting time for gin on this frontier.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Badfellow wrote:...The caper is much smaller than the olive, but it's flavor is much greater and it is destined for London dry gin...
Ah capers, the polarizing spice if there ever was one. You either love 'em or hate 'em. I don't think there's a middle ground with capers.