Manhattans

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluto, Smatter Noguts, Patchez

John Barleycorn
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Re: Okay, let's talk about Manhattans

Post by John Barleycorn »

Savage wrote:Well, I like Makers Mark. You see, since a classic Manhattan uses Rye, my favorite should be called a Bourbon Manhattan. Or perhaps, a Kentucky Manhattan. Half again sweet vermouth, the best you can find. And there is something good to be said about using orange bitters. And a cherry? Nah. Splash a bit of Maraschino syrup in the glass, and stir well. It's a drink that is sweet, without being cloying. You can drink more than one, and that is the measure of a good sweet cocktail.
Orange bitters, a bit of sweet Maraschino syrup, wheated bourbon rather than rye whiskey or a bourbon with rye content. It seems to me that your ideal Manhattan is a lot like an old fashioned but without chunks of orange and up instead of on the rocks. A hybrid combining some of the best features of both.

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

Savage wrote:Of course, as time marches on, the ratio of bourbon to vermouth increases slightly. Which is as God intended.
this. just made my first of the day a bit ago, and thought i'd used a little too much swt. vermouth...but it as a fine manhattan, for my first of the day. less in the next, though.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Some glorious bastard just brought over a bottle of Bas Armagnac, to which I shall now apply the "Manhattan formula" sans cherry. And, holy balls god, it is delicioso, although needing of a name.

I agree with Makers making a choice Manhattan. Beam Black is no shabby date either.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

John Barleycorn wrote:
Savage wrote:Well, I like Makers Mark. You see, since a classic Manhattan uses Rye, my favorite should be called a Bourbon Manhattan. Or perhaps, a Kentucky Manhattan. Half again sweet vermouth, the best you can find. And there is something good to be said about using orange bitters. And a cherry? Nah. Splash a bit of Maraschino syrup in the glass, and stir well. It's a drink that is sweet, without being cloying. You can drink more than one, and that is the measure of a good sweet cocktail.
Orange bitters, a bit of sweet Maraschino syrup, wheated bourbon rather than rye whiskey or a bourbon with rye content. It seems to me that your ideal Manhattan is a lot like an old fashioned but without chunks of orange and up instead of on the rocks. A hybrid combining some of the best features of both.

I believe you are right. I'm just skipping the mashing of the fruit. Which is fine, since the last time I saw my muddler, the grandboy was using it to squash bugs on the driveway.
like tears in rain

Bourbon and Blues
Souse
Souse

Post by Bourbon and Blues »

I threw down an bought Carpano Anitca Fomula and the result was magic. It's fabulous by itself but you guys need to try it. I paired it with Bullitt bourbon (not rye) and standard crap maraschino cherries.

I really think this is the greatest cocktail ever.
"Drink through it." - Myself and countless others

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

This thread is inspiring.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

Or Southern Comfort with Gallo Dry Vermouth.

Seriously, Rebel Yell with a perfect split is good shit, I don't care what you homos say.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Savage wrote:...And there is something good to be said about using orange bitters...
Orange is another highly complimentary flavor in a Manhattan recipe. Take a slice of zest from a nicely aromatic orange such as Seville and use as a garnish in lieu of the industrialized maraschino. Can't wait until the blood oranges are in season.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Announcement:Manhattan Day

Post by Savage »

February 14, is Bourbon Manhattan day. Pour yourself a few ounces of good Kentucky elixir, splash in some sweet vermouth, dribble in some bitters, and plop a fat cherry in your glass, making sure to include a bit of the juice. That right there is your sweet Manhattan, California style. Drink several, and watch a funny movie, or read a good book, until your eyes began to blur and cross. Then go and try to cook something! Much fun will be had by all! And the best thing is, that when you wake up/come to the next morning, it will be Grumpy's birthday. Yay!

And then we'll have cake! Which I will have to try and make. Ooh! He wants pineapple upside down cake. Hmm, this could be difficult.

Nah, it'll be a cruise. After all, I've been making it for several decades.
like tears in rain

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Announcement:Manhattan Day

Post by Savage »

Actually, weird thing is, Grumpy loves bourbon sours. I love Manhattans, so Manhattan day should be in August. Oh well. I'm already thinking ahead, to when champagne day is. Hah, maybe that should be August fourteenth. Hmm, Champagne and chocolate cake day. Sounds good to me.
like tears in rain

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

I'm available for both dates.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

I thought Feb 14 was date-rape day.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Smatter Noguts wrote:I thought Feb 14 was date-rape day.
If you know any girl who joyfully thinks the same, I'm available in the morning.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I was going to go for a manhattan, but I only have scotch whisky, and dry vermouth, so I gave up and had a rusty nail instead
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

ScurvyDog
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by ScurvyDog »

My favorite
The perfect combination of redneck and beach bum.