Manhattans

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluto, Smatter Noguts, Patchez

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: My, it's fine weather for a Manhattan.

Post by Wingman »

Mr Boozificator wrote:I've never had a real manhattan in my life. That's the first drink I'll order next time I'm in USA.
you back in gaul, then, boozy?
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Wingman wrote:
Mr Boozificator wrote:I've never had a real manhattan in my life. That's the first drink I'll order next time I'm in USA.
you back in gaul, then, boozy?
Yep, I'm back Ben Grimm, and fucking drunk, and proud.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

Mr Boozificator wrote: Ben Grimm.
more of a flash or green lantern these days....
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

Fabricsoftner wrote: Make sure you order one from somewhere that knows how to make them. Finding a properly made manhattan is almost as hard as finding a properly made martini.
I would say more difficult. Unlike the Martini (which is really all about the Gin) the properly made Manhattan is about the interplay of the ingredients. The tolerances have to be managed properly or you end up drinking something that tastes like a dessert topping, not enough Vermouth will just make it taste like you dropped a cherry in your Whiskey (and changing Whiskeys changes the formula). Then there is the shaker adding ice/water to the equation get that step wrong and your left with a watery mess. Even making your own is an experimental enterprise finding a bartender that makes a good one takes determination or luck.
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

Mayhems
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Mayhems »

Oggar wrote:
Fabricsoftner wrote: Make sure you order one from somewhere that knows how to make them. Finding a properly made manhattan is almost as hard as finding a properly made martini.
I would say more difficult. Unlike the Martini (which is really all about the Gin) the properly made Manhattan is about the interplay of the ingredients. The tolerances have to be managed properly or you end up drinking something that tastes like a dessert topping, not enough Vermouth will just make it taste like you dropped a cherry in your Whiskey (and changing Whiskeys changes the formula). Then there is the shaker adding ice/water to the equation get that step wrong and your left with a watery mess. Even making your own is an experimental enterprise finding a bartender that makes a good one takes determination or luck.
I learned how to make Manhattans from the father of a good friend of mine while we were on a cruise. Best thing that ever happened to me on water.

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Oggar wrote:
Exactly. If you ever write a drinks recipe book, I'll buy.
like tears in rain

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

The Glory That Is The Manhattan

Post by Savage »

Just a little bit tart, and a whole lot sweet, with my dear, delicious bourbon. From 3,000 miles away, I loves me some Manhattan cocktail. Listening to Halloween music. Doesn't get much better than this, not without a living, breathing man. (He's snoring in the next room, so I'm outta luck.) You couldn't rouse him with a stick of dynamite up his ass.
like tears in rain

NYDingbat
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: The Glory That Is The Manhattan

Post by NYDingbat »

I could make both for you. Though you'd have to deal with the placement of the latter.
"I don't start the day. I continue the night."
- mistah willies

"What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch?"
- W.C. Fields

BBoozer
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by BBoozer »

Savage wrote: Listening to Halloween music. .
What, exactly, is Halloween music, Savage? Please share.

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

The glory that is bowhunting season begins tonight up in the woods with the ritual Michigan Manhatten, ie, cheap Canadian whiskey from Windsor and Stock or Martini&Rossi sweet vermouth.

Bitters, bourbon and cherry juice and other fine distinctions may be there to start out, but it usually ends with those two ingredients, after everybody gets hammered to the point of saying "oh fuck it" and just makes 'em the easy way.

I've gotten to where a 4 to 1 ratio tastes the best; using bourbon or more vermouth seems to make it too sweet.

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

The glory that is bowhunting season begins tonight up in the woods with the ritual Michigan Manhatten, ie, cheap Canadian whiskey from Windsor and Stock or Martini&Rossi sweet vermouth.

Bitters, bourbon and cherry juice and other fine distinctions may be there to start out, but it usually ends with those two ingredients, after everybody gets hammered to the point of saying "oh fuck it" and just makes 'em the easy way.

I've gotten to where a 4 to 1 ratio tastes the best; using bourbon or more vermouth seems to make it too sweet.

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

Went to dinner at a place called J. Alexander's, I think it's a chain. Waiting for a table I asked the barman for a Manhattan with Sazerac rye. He shakes it up and pours it into a coupe glass. And, to my surprise, he pours even more into a little carafe, and then puts the carafe in a brandy snifter full of icewater. I ask him what the deal is and he says all their cocktails come with sidecar "refills." I brace myself for the check, as such a deal must surely be about $20, right? Nope, $10 even for a double manhattan with top-shelf whiskey.

Life ain't so bad sometimes.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Jiggers McCoy wrote:Went to dinner at a place called J. Alexander's, I think it's a chain. Waiting for a table I asked the barman for a Manhattan with Sazerac rye. He shakes it up and pours it into a coupe glass. And, to my surprise, he pours even more into a little carafe, and then puts the carafe in a brandy snifter full of icewater. I ask him what the deal is and he says all their cocktails come with sidecar "refills." I brace myself for the check, as such a deal must surely be about $20, right? Nope, $10 even for a double manhattan with top-shelf whiskey.

Life ain't so bad sometimes.
I want to eat there.
And btw, Sazerac is a historical French name (sorry, could not help myself).
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

So is Bourbon, isn't it?
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Jiggers McCoy wrote:So is Bourbon, isn't it?
Indeed, but you made it a completely american thing. I want to conquer the western lands now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cNeIW2zyPM