making booze

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, One for the Frog

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

making booze

Post by Mr. Viking »

anybody else tried making booze, I'm making wine out of marmalade and building a still right now, i'm tired of paying shops prices
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: making booze

Post by Wingman »

yep, lots of folks. gonna brew some beer this saturday, in fact.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

what type?
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

Mr. Viking wrote:what type?
we're doing two batches, a belgian and...i don't remember. going to my buddy's house for beer- and gingerbread house-making and drinking on saturday. he has some mystery hops from his parent's farm, "chicken coop hops," we've worked with before that do great.
Stupid should hurt.

--ThirstyDrunk

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I keep meaning to make beer, but I'm too lazy and wine is too easy

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

Mr. Viking wrote:I keep meaning to make beer, but I'm too lazy and wine is too easy
funny, i have another buddy who makes wine, and the beer-brewing buddy says he doesn't have the patience for that!
Stupid should hurt.

--ThirstyDrunk

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

you have to leave it to age or it tastes shit, but after a while you get a rolling production going, and you make more as you drink the old stuff, beer takes more effort, with all the boiling and stirring and recipes. Cider'sthe best though, the batch I'm doing works out about $4 a gallon in US money, and tastes of bugger all, but is about 7% I reckon

Freddie AppsHero
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Freddie AppsHero »

I usually distil moonshine, it's easier and quicker than beer or wine. In fact, I did some last night and I'm drinking it now.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Trying to build a still, any advice?

Freddie AppsHero
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Yes. Don't use plastics in the build, they can leech into the brew and poison you. Try teflon tape (PTFE) instead.

Metal is a must for the boiler. People say not to use aluminium, but it works fine for me. Glass is an absolute no-no.

If you've never built a still before, you can make a cooling system out of a plastic bucket. Don't try to go whole hog with a water jacket over the copper pipes on your first go.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I'm looking at attaching copper pipe as a lyne arm to the vent on an old pressure cooker, and coiling it in a bucket of water, I'm assuming because I'll only have a gallon or so of wash, a 2 gallon bucket of water would provide enough cooling. I think I''ll start of trying to seal the pipe to the pot with oatmeal paste, like on old poitin stills, to see if it's any good, then maybe braze it together if it does work

Freddie AppsHero
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

That's pretty much the exact same build I used, right down to the pressure cooker. We used washers and teflon tape to seal the copper pipe to the boiler, though.

2 gallons of coolant water should be plenty, as long as you keep it flowing. If you don't, it'll heat up fairly quickly. I just poked holes in my coolant bucket and use another bucket to catch it, and then refill the coolant bucket when it gets low.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

got a couple of gallons of mollasses fermenting ready to make my first batch of rum. All I need to do now is actually build this still I keep talking about

ADHD
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by ADHD »

A good wash is the place to start, rum may or may not be the simplest to do. A simple corn/sugar/water/yeast recipe is one of the simplest and best tasting homebrew recipes around. As for equipment, there's alot of info on the internet, some good, and lots bad, about making your own still. I've built several, and they all work to some degree, but my latest is definitely the best.

I can produce at around 10L of bourbon for less than 15$ worth of supplies with this unit in a single run!!!! ( I tend to have to drink alot so I dont run out of storage space for spirits LOL)

Here's my latest one that I built for myself a few months back. If you want to read up about it a little more, PM me, as I'm not sure of the link posting etiquette here...

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

my god, it's so... beautiful, I've just started crying