making booze

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, One for the Frog

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: making booze

Post by mistah willies »

Just thought this link would be good here. Carry on.

Beer is made from porridge?

Rule Of Thumb.

Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

yes, using the literal definition of porridge. The mash often doesn't taste great though. It is also different as it uses malted grains, which means sugars are broken down, making it sweeter. Also, oats, usually used for porridge, do not have as much available sugar, so make low alcohol beer. For this reason, oatmeal stouts were a traditional medicinal brew, as they provided a lot of nutrition but didn't make you drunk. I am aware that oatmeal stout is now quite often made with a lot more malted barley though, and often is rather strong
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Only just ogt round to watching that TDC, pretty well explained.

Just an update that I have barreled my latest brew, a kit that I'm hoping will be similar to Bass. Also filled a couple of bottles to see if they come out much differently
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

zimne_piwo
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by zimne_piwo »

Took a while off from making booze due to getting fired for showing up to work drunk. They should have known when they hired me, fuckasses. Now that the industry disciplinary panel has cleared me, I'm back! More sugar shine!

Nice flute there, bud. That's nice. If I get $2500 burning a hole in my pocket I might pick one up. Probably not any time soon, my current reflux/pot clamped on a beer keg is doing the job just fine.

I upgraded my fermentors a little and have a couple stages going right now. I have five gallons of hard dark cider going in one plastic 5-gallon carboy, five gallons of sweet apple wine going in a fermentor bucket, and about 15 gallons of sugar wash with barley and wheat germ going in two plastic fermentor buckets. For my next trick, I'll get another 15 gallons of sugar wash with barley and wheat germ going in a large white food grade trash can with a loose fitting lid. That totals to about 40 gallons of fermenting liquid going in my cold basement room.

It takes a medium-sized HEPA air filter running on high to knock down the yeasty smell to a whiff.

40 gallons of fermenting liquid at an average of about 9% makes 3.6 gallons of pure ethanol, theoretically. I won't collect that, I'll be happy to collect 2.5 and have some to recycle into the next round. 2.5 gallons ethanol is about the equivalent of 31.25 fifths of 80 proof whatever, distributed among hard cider, wine, and lightnin.

It fucking SMELLS.

The shine recipe I'm working with right now I should be producing about 20 fifths of 80 proof lightnin every three weeks plus five gallons of hard cider or sweet apple wine at about the same time. Not quite a fifth a day, but the 25 bottles of cider or wine should bridge the gap. My new buckets should double the output of shine very handily, so that would be 40 fifths in three weeks.

Now we're making a little headway. I might get ahead of myself a little and not have to supplement with store-bought.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

zimne_piwo wrote:Took a while off from making booze due to getting fired for showing up to work drunk. They should have known when they hired me, fuckasses. Now that the industry disciplinary panel has cleared me, I'm back! More sugar shine!

Nice flute there, bud. That's nice. If I get $2500 burning a hole in my pocket I might pick one up. Probably not any time soon, my current reflux/pot clamped on a beer keg is doing the job just fine.

I upgraded my fermentors a little and have a couple stages going right now. I have five gallons of hard dark cider going in one plastic 5-gallon carboy, five gallons of sweet apple wine going in a fermentor bucket, and about 15 gallons of sugar wash with barley and wheat germ going in two plastic fermentor buckets. For my next trick, I'll get another 15 gallons of sugar wash with barley and wheat germ going in a large white food grade trash can with a loose fitting lid. That totals to about 40 gallons of fermenting liquid going in my cold basement room.

It takes a medium-sized HEPA air filter running on high to knock down the yeasty smell to a whiff.

40 gallons of fermenting liquid at an average of about 9% makes 3.6 gallons of pure ethanol, theoretically. I won't collect that, I'll be happy to collect 2.5 and have some to recycle into the next round. 2.5 gallons ethanol is about the equivalent of 31.25 fifths of 80 proof whatever, distributed among hard cider, wine, and lightnin.

It fucking SMELLS.

The shine recipe I'm working with right now I should be producing about 20 fifths of 80 proof lightnin every three weeks plus five gallons of hard cider or sweet apple wine at about the same time. Not quite a fifth a day, but the 25 bottles of cider or wine should bridge the gap. My new buckets should double the output of shine very handily, so that would be 40 fifths in three weeks.

Now we're making a little headway. I might get ahead of myself a little and not have to supplement with store-bought.
I bow down to you, I only ever have about 10 gallons or so of anything brewing at once. Hopefully get that ramped up a bit when I'm settled down

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

I am just about to get started on making a batch of Alcoholic Ginger Beer. It should provide me with around 5 gallons (to start with) at somewhere 7-8% ABV. I am using a new recipe that allows an ongoing process. If the end product is successful, I will post the recipe, with any modifications that I use to tweak the product.
Wish me luck...
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

how did the ginger turn out?

Just moved my christmas cider (5.4% and rising) and stout (from a kit, 6% and possibly rising) from the buckets they are fermented in to my pressure barrels.

I would recommend pressure barrels to any homebrewer, in spite of the £30-60 initial outlay. They are 40 pint plastic barrels that are pressure sealed, with a tap. They have a valve on the top to add CO2 for fizz. They make draft beer very simple at home, as any liquid added to them can be carbonated and dispensed. I put all my homebrew in them because I couldn't be arsed with bottling

Wolfcoat
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Wolfcoat »

Just put together a batch of Cyser (a melomel mead with apple cider.) on Nov 25.

4.5 gallons unpasteurized cider
12 lbs raw honey (just had the combs spun, not worried about extra flavor like bug parts and a bit o wax)
one packet yeast for brewing (D-429 I think...cant recall now) warmed up in 8 oz of water.

Sanitize, then mix contents until honey is supersaturated into cider.

Let sit in the carboy for 15-18 months.

If I can find a place to post the pix up to the web, I'll post them here.
Here's to us, and those like us.
Damn few of us left.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Wolfcoat wrote:...If I can find a place to post the pix up to the web, I'll post them here.
Most of us find Photobucket works well.
Looking forward to seeing the pics...
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

A nice little instructive installment German cartoon but pretty self-explanatory.
!For those at work, there`s some harmless comic-nudity in the end, just that you know!
It`s from the "Werner comic" series. To my knowledge their movies sadly haven`t been released in any other language as of yet. They`re all extremly funny and cotain heavy loads of drinking, especially the fourth installment "To throw up later!".
In this one Master Röhrich wants to distill blackberry-schnapps to get the guests of his afternoon coffey party soused and well... havoc ensues
If you don`t mind not understanding a word do yourselfs a favor and check more of their stuff out

Palinka, if offtopic, be kindfull please and move this post in the what do you find hilarious thread or somewhere else
Drink!

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Having gone home for christmas my cider has been left for longer than usual, so it has started malolactic fermentation. This is where the sharper tasting compounds are broken down by bacteria to make a much smoother drink, causing it to turn cloudy and rendering it much more delicious. Now lets hope I won't get botulism from it.

Also, got a handpump at auction so I now have proper draught beer in the kitchen

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Mr. Viking wrote:I now have proper draught beer in the kitchen
Will you ever leave that place now?
Drink!

Jollyroger1210
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Location: Halfway between Yuengling and the Whiskey Rebellion

Post by Jollyroger1210 »

mistah willies wrote:Just thought this link would be good here. Carry on.

Beer is made from porridge?

Rule Of Thumb.

Every time I help my sister and her hubby brew, I take a tiny taste of the wort, mash, or a nugget of hops.
PRO TIP: do not eat a nugget of hops. Jesus they are bitter.

EDIT TO ADD: also, attempted a 4-gallon cider making session. Wound up with earths driest,moldiest-smelling flat cider. My roommate refuses to understand my scientific endeavors.
"I only drink on days that start with a T; Tuesday, Thursday, today, and tomorrow."

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Mr. Viking wrote:my mum threw out all of my dad's brewing stuff because it was "dirty", so I had to buy new stuff. Worse than that, she threw out his fucking beer crown
this turns out to have been unsubstantiated. I found the beer crown along with two ancient sets of monopoly and a "computer controlled race car", which operates using punch cards and runs of mains electricity, in the attic above their garage. Sadly there was no reprieve for the homebrew kit

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Mr. Viking wrote: "computer controlled race car", which operates using punch cards and runs of mains electricity,
You need to get this running. I would love to see it. Barring that send it to me and I'll get it running.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice