Zubrowka

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

Rowdydrunk79
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Zubrowka

Post by Rowdydrunk79 »

I've introduced this Polish Vodka to many folks here but I don't believe I've ever posted about it. Anyhow, I was reading an article about it and came across this:
Żubrówka plays a key role in Somerset Maugham's novel The Razor's Edge, where it is used to lure a young woman back into alcoholism. According to Isabella, a character in the book, "it smells of freshly mown hay and spring flowers, of thyme and lavender, and it's soft on the palate and so comfortable, it's like listening to music by moonlight."
"Preacher! Go on down and get me some bourbon. J. T. S. Brown. No ice, no glass."
- Paul Newman, The Hustler
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/141203 ... F8&s=books

Gin McGuinness
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Gin McGuinness »

HOLY SHIT Rowdy! I've been hanging on to this empty bottle for a wee bit wondering if it was good or not by vodie standards!! I found it lovely, refreshing even... got given half a bottle by a moving Expat. TOTALLY lovely! Of course can't find it here.... wow!
"Personally I prefer the buzz between 'all is good and well in the universe with this glass' drunk and 'IM A FUCKING VIKING!' drunk." Impish Boozehound

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

A fine call, Rowdy. This is the one, if memory serves, with the blades of buffalo grass in the bottle. The "meadow" notes go well with certain types of cheeses such as Gruyere or Manchego. Mmmmm, shots n' cheese.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

mediakill
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by mediakill »

Heard of it? of course i have! ;) Studying med here in poland. cheap as hell and good Tatanka=apple juice + it) Also belvedere is cheap here since its made here and some upscale vodkas. Have you tried Debowa? nice looking elegant bottle and vodka looks classy next to other brands in your collection. plan to bring back some bottles but that damn 2 liter limit is a pain in the ass

mediakill
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by mediakill »

Heard of it? of course i have! ;) Studying med here in poland. cheap as hell and good Tatanka=apple juice + it) Also belvedere is cheap here since its made here and some upscale vodkas. Have you tried Debowa? nice looking elegant bottle and vodka looks classy next to other brands in your collection. plan to bring back some bottles but that damn 2 liter limit is a pain in the ass. Poland also has some nice Miod, Krupnik (Honey liquer) =vodka. Also sliwoca- plum vodkas. have some in my collection. Also not bad rum and gin( my classmates love lubelski!) If you want to talk polish vodkas i'm game 8)

vtjim
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by vtjim »

It's good stuff. We buy it in Canada when we're up there. Got what's left of a bottle downstairs, actually. Time to stock up!

The other day my wife said something like, "What the hell happened to the Zubrowka?" Ha! Oops.
Beer near!

Rowdydrunk79
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Rowdydrunk79 »

Thought I'd bump this up since I had a fun weekend drinking Zubrowka in the mountains with Prick.
"Preacher! Go on down and get me some bourbon. J. T. S. Brown. No ice, no glass."
- Paul Newman, The Hustler
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/141203 ... F8&s=books

Tyerod
Souse
Souse

Post by Tyerod »

Been digging on Luksusowa lately. Stick it in the freezer and watch it disappear. 100% Polish tator whiskey.

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

Tyerod wrote:Been digging on Luksusowa lately. Stick it in the freezer and watch it disappear. 100% Polish tator whiskey.
i had a lovely affair with that particular potator about two years ago. it was a wonderful time that i miss...*sniff*
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

I wish i could find me a woman who drinks!~ruiner..on lack of women drinkers.

WildDamnTurkey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by WildDamnTurkey »

Hell yes, I only have a little of this stuff left, but I like it a lot.

mediakill
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by mediakill »

Yeah stuck here in poland for the last 5 years or so. Got medical school here only 1 and a half yr(6 yr program) left thank god! arrogant norweigan assholes ;)
Luksusowa? Polish people here tend to prefer Zubrowka. Love that blade of grass they stick in as a aphrodisiac. Yeah you can get the pricey premium brands like Chopin and Belvedere since they are made here about 100-120z but most polish drinkers get the lower end stuff instead of overpriced crap They also got polish honeymead, polish absinthe(6 bottles myself) and cherry liquers. Now i need a way to bring them all back! ;)
Theres a tradition here that when a baby is born they take a barrel of pure vodka seal it with wax in some sandy earth and they dig it up when the child is going to get married. You can buy those aged vodkas like starka that has ages of 20+ years. Haven't tried it

slipperyyoke
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by slipperyyoke »

mediakill wrote:Yeah stuck here in poland for the last 5 years or so. Got medical school here only 1 and a half yr(6 yr program) left thank god! arrogant norweigan assholes ;)
Luksusowa? Polish people here tend to prefer Zubrowka. Love that blade of grass they stick in as a aphrodisiac. Yeah you can get the pricey premium brands like Chopin and Belvedere since they are made here about 100-120z but most polish drinkers get the lower end stuff instead of overpriced crap They also got polish honeymead, polish absinthe(6 bottles myself) and cherry liquers. Now i need a way to bring them all back! ;)
Theres a tradition here that when a baby is born they take a barrel of pure vodka seal it with wax in some sandy earth and they dig it up when the child is going to get married. You can buy those aged vodkas like starka that has ages of 20+ years. Haven't tried it
Now that's something I'd love to try.
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

MEAT!
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by MEAT! »

Remember this weekend asking whistfully if we eat the grass like a tequila worm when we are done. Sure enough, Saturday night, I find myself chewing on a blade of grass after Rowdy properly introduced this fine liquor to me. Good stuff.
“Always carry a large flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.” -W.C.Fields

Tyerod
Souse
Souse

Post by Tyerod »

My curiosity is peaked. Is it available un-doctored in the US or is it still the US-export version. If is the latter I will have nothing to do with it. Information provided by Wikipedia.
These people are obviously nothing but a bunch of bible thumping hate mongers.

mediakill
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

love my zubr

Post by mediakill »

Yeah sucks that the polish version actually contains caumarin a food additive not allowed in the u.s; kinda like absinthe with banned thujone. (only seen one brand of polish commercial absinthe btw; but have seen people offering it in the smaller towns i've been)Glad i'm here in poland; that and the girls are the only reasons worth being here ;) Not bitchy and update like american girls
The bottle in the picture actually looks different that the bottle i have here with a paper stuck on for label instead of the clear bottle that it shows in the pic; haven't seen the american one. Are the bottles different perchance on the u.s version? Didn't even realize the american version tates different; so used to the stuff here. Also with polish friends and family they usually bering it back all the time and give as gifts. Staring at my huge liter bottle right now! 8) need to stuck me cabinet later.steal at 40z for 1L (little more than 10bucks) Should try the zubr beer later but stuck with zywiec