Single-malt scotch suggestions

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

maltlicker11
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by maltlicker11 »

Oh what a yummy thread! And a reminder to try some new malts.

Laphroaig is my fave - so far.

Here's a webpage with a bunch of Scotch pnonunciation sound clips.

http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jhb/whisky/pronounc.html

Malty11
It's Immaterial - Life's hard and then you die
Licker is quicker

Plowedboy
Souse
Souse

Post by Plowedboy »

If you want to check out some extremely serious whisky talk, go here:
http://www.maltmadness.com/

Aarkwilde
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Aarkwilde »

Laphroaig 10yr is my 'go to' bottle. I always have one open, and the $30 they charge for it at Trader Joe's makes it more then reasonable. CS and QC I've tasted but can't really afford. I wish I could though.

Lagavulin is delicious, but really out of my price range. I have a bottle, but only open it for company.

Ardbeg 10. Man. Costs half again as much as the Laphroaig and it's harder for me to find, so I make it last. I love it though.

Macallan I'm not as enamoured with as I once was. It used to be my favorite pour, but either my tastes are drastically changing or the quality is going down. Coal Ila 12 is delicious.

I've never tried Talisker, but only heard good things about it. I think that my be my next purchase.
SIGbooze - Since 1967

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

Aarkwilde wrote: Coal Ila 12 is delicious.
It's too smokey for me. A friend of mine is always trying to get me to drink smokey scotch because he knows I enjoy a cigar with a good single malt. The thing is, I like the balance. If I'm smoking a good cigar I don't want my liqour to be overly smokey as well. The Caol Ila is like sticking your head inside a smoker. I prefer the yin and the yang, if you will.

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

So I stopped into a bar on the way to do some grocey shopping this eveing and decided to try a new scotch. Scapa 12 year old. Apparently it's from the islands or Orkney (or so says their website). Very light with a bit os salty aftertaste. Relatively inexpensive at $6.50 a shot. It a was a little to light for my taste, though. I like something with a little more body. That's one of thre great things about scotch: there are so many varieties that there's something for everyone!

mediakill
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by mediakill »

thanks for the comments guys. was thinking og getting some laphroag, maccullen, etc

mattgrowler
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by mattgrowler »

Aarkwilde wrote:Ardbeg 10. Man. Costs half again as much as the Laphroaig and it's harder for me to find, so I make it last. I love it though.
Got it for $30 today in NH. Thanks for the recommend, I love it! Not as smokey as I'd like, but it's got the salt. Great stuff! Well worth it, thanks!

Manos
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Manos »

Laphroaig is very good. However, the Balvenie 21 yr old is aces.
[i:d657c50c8b]I'm not fucking Snow White!"[/i:d657c50c8b]
[b:d657c50c8b]Girlie[/b:d657c50c8b]

[i:d657c50c8b]Mu uncle's Canadian. He looks like he fell out of a tree.[/i:d657c50c8b]
[b:d657c50c8b]LollyGSG[/b:d657c50c8b]

headlessparrot
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by headlessparrot »

Hate to beat a dead horse, but I was wondering if anyone could point me toward a single malt - I'm looking for something with the same peppery character as Talisker... Does it even exist, or is Talisker the only one - because that pepper kick is by far the favourite taste I've found in any single malt, ever.

philbeans
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by philbeans »

Laphroaig tastes like paint thinner.. too peaty. for cheap go Dalmore 12. You can never spend too much on Macallan