Finnish booze

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

Wow, you guys are cunts. You really are. But getting back to the topic at hand...

I tried Finlandia at the insistence of a Finnish guy a week or so back. Now I'm not going to pretend to know too much about vodka. Usually as far as I can tell they all taste pretty similar. What I will say is this one was on the reasonable side of similar and left me with only a mild hangover in the morning. I obviously wont be buying it myself as it's a Brown-Foreman product but in my defense, I didn't know that at the time. To expand my booze horizons even further into the Arctic Circle I have ordered some bottles of Lapin Kulta. I hope it doesn't disappoint. I'll let you know in due time.

And Malibu and Irn-Bru? Has she no tastebuds?
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

cloud8
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by cloud8 »

LollyGSG wrote:... To expand my booze horizons even further into the Arctic Circle I have ordered some bottles of Lapin Kulta. I hope it doesn't disappoint. I'll let you know in due time.

And Malibu and Irn-Bru? Has she no tastebuds?
Excellent choice. Lapin Kulta = Lappland Gold. Some people swear it's the world's greatest, others complain that it's too watery. Go for another popular Finnish beer next...Koff's, which is more hoppy (me like). Kippis / Cheers!
"Never apologise for being in the Bourbon aisle."
--Smatter Noguts

Alekam
Tippler
Tippler

Post by Alekam »

In my opinion Lapin Kulta is kinda watery and Koff is...well I don't know, lacks that "uumph". But it's not as if I cared, at least not after a few. But for starting up the engine, I'd go for Urho, Karjala or better yet Sandels. I'm not sure about the availability of those brands abroad. Another brand I really like is the Estonian Saku. Good stuff.

A common pun on Lapin Kulta is Lapin Kusta which translates into Laplandian piss. A further alternative i Poron Kusta, deer's piss, due to the label art. But to each his own, some people really like it, most people I know, do not.

maltlicker11
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by maltlicker11 »

Hi Alekam,

Thanks for an inside look at Finnish beer culture.
Lots of word play in this thread. (perhaps juvenile/silly/ironic but not intended to be mean/nasty)

For instance, I had heard that lapin was French for rabbit.
But, according to the almighty wikipedia and Meriam Webster dictionary,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapin
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/lapin

lapin (in american) also refers to "a castrated male rabbit."
<cough cough trying to be funny not mean cough cough>

"I poron kusta" => I pour on piss.
Urho => U r ho => You are a whore.
Your name Alekam => Ale Cam => Ale Camera
and of course Ale is a type of beer.

Tangentially and in closing, German for Germany, Alemania, always amuses me because they are a great beer drinking nation and the word can be parsed as Ale - Mania. (mania = extreme excitement)

bye
It's Immaterial - Life's hard and then you die
Licker is quicker

cloud8
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by cloud8 »

Alekam wrote:In my opinion Lapin Kulta is kinda watery and Koff is...well I don't know, lacks that "uumph". But it's not as if I cared, at least not after a few. But for starting up the engine, I'd go for Urho, Karjala or better yet Sandels. I'm not sure about the availability of those brands abroad. Another brand I really like is the Estonian Saku. Good stuff.

A common pun on Lapin Kulta is Lapin Kusta which translates into Laplandian piss. A further alternative i Poron Kusta, deer's piss, due to the label art. But to each his own, some people really like it, most people I know, do not.
Lots of American beer is hevosen kusta / horse piss, but the puns are lacking.

You left our Karhu (Bear). Bear Beer! MNÄ (minä nauran ääneen) / LOL

I've heard that eestiläinen Saku is pretty damn good. I've never seen it here, though. I've also heard that you can get anything you want (and anything you don't want) in Estonia.

quoting malty:
> "I poron kusta" => I pour on piss.
> Urho => U r ho => You are a whore.

Paskan marjat! / Shit berries!
Last edited by cloud8 on Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never apologise for being in the Bourbon aisle."
--Smatter Noguts

Grace O'Malley
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Grace O'Malley »

I have relatives in Finland. Mebbe I should have them send me some real vodka.

LeAnn Kaattari