Finnish booze

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

Nil
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Finnish booze

Post by Nil »

I was just talking with Sophie, the Finnish girl from upstairs, and we got to chatting about our plans from the October break, when she said this - "I know how much you love booze, and I'm going home that week, so I'll bring you back some little bottles of Finnish booze. Some of it's kinda strange, but if you like it, next time I go I can bring you back some proper bottles". I think she's bringing back some Pipra (some sort of pepper drink) and something anise-y. Apparently it's black, and she described the taste as "like salty liquorice". Any ideas on that one?

Just looked up some info on Pipra:
Pipra Naps is produced from a natural raw material; it has a distinguishable taste and aroma, characteristic of a hot pepper mixture. In order to achieve a perfect flavor and aroma bouquet, different peppers have been used: black pepper, paprika, cubeb pepper and chili.
No preservatives have been used in producing Pipra Naps.

Strength 35% vol.
Also she's looking to bring back some sort of 80% ABV Finnish stuff for her own personal consumption. Sophie is cool.
Warren Ellis wrote:Only perverts put ice in single malt Scotch.

maltlicker11
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by maltlicker11 »

dude, you have it made!
It's Immaterial - Life's hard and then you die
Licker is quicker

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Pipra. Sounds like a fantastic foundation for a freaky bloody mary. Part of a complete, well-balanced breakfast.

Cheers Nil. You must thank this girl in kind for expanding your horizons.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Nil
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Nil »

Vladfellow the Impailer wrote:Pipra. Sounds like a fantastic foundation for a freaky bloody mary. Part of a complete, well-balanced breakfast.

I fully intend to. While I can't think of anything I can procure she hasn't tried, if nothing else she's certainly getting her drinks bought next Rock Night. That or I share my next bottle of absinthe with her.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Nil wrote:
Vladfellow the Impailer wrote:Pipra. Sounds like a fantastic foundation for a freaky bloody mary. Part of a complete, well-balanced breakfast.

I fully intend to. While I can't think of anything I can procure she hasn't tried, if nothing else she's certainly getting her drinks bought next Rock Night. That or I share my next bottle of absinthe with her.
The greater of the two courtesies.

ech0s
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by ech0s »

Vladfellow the Impailer wrote:
Nil wrote:

The greater of the two courtesies.
Nods, but the postal service held my last shipment...depends on local if they check or not.
"I always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of a snakebite. Further more, I always carry a small snake" F. Scott Fitzgerald
"Moderation is a fatal thing - nothing succeeds like excess" Oscar Wilde
http://www.myspace.com/2echos

billybill
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by billybill »

sounds like salmiakki, which my old roomate brought me a bottle of when he came back from finland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmiakki_Koskenkorva

it tastes kinda like good'n'plentys, but saltier?
i liked it, but there's not much i don't like
Silly Rabbit, tripping is for teenagers, murder is for murderers and hard drugs are for bartenders.

Gwynn
Self-Imposed Exile
Self-Imposed Exile

Post by Gwynn »

salmiakki was,as legend has it inspired by "The flaming Homer" from the Simpsons, i kid you not.
Can't keep a good Bunnie down!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Gwynn wrote:salmiakki was,as legend has it inspired by "The flaming Homer" from the Simpsons, i kid you not.
They sell Crusty's Cough Syrup in Finland?

Gwynn
Self-Imposed Exile
Self-Imposed Exile

Post by Gwynn »

Nah, it's more an inspiration thing me thinks.
Can't keep a good Bunnie down!

cloud8
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Finnish booze

Post by cloud8 »

Nil wrote:I was just talking with Sophie, the Finnish girl from upstairs, and we got to chatting about our plans from the October break, when she said this - "I know how much you love booze, and I'm going home that week, so I'll bring you back some little bottles of Finnish booze. Some of it's kinda strange, but if you like it, next time I go I can bring you back some proper bottles". I think she's bringing back some Pipra (some sort of pepper drink) and something anise-y. Apparently it's black, and she described the taste as "like salty liquorice". Any ideas on that one?
Koskenkorva is the barley spirit, Kossu for short, and the licorice stuff it's infused with is salmiakki. That concoction is called Salmiakkikossu, or Salmari for short.

When you hoist a Salmari with Sophie, say Kippis! / Cheers!
"Never apologise for being in the Bourbon aisle."
--Smatter Noguts

Shonus Andronicus

Post by Shonus Andronicus »

So...is she hot?

:)

You better report back on that shit, man.

Got the Some Girls, BTW. It is good. Thanks.
An ambulance can only go so fast.

-Neil Young

Nil
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Nil »

Shonus Andronicus wrote:So...is she hot?

:)

You better report back on that shit, man.

Got the Some Girls, BTW. It is good. Thanks.
She is pretty hot, but she is definitely unavailable. Her boyfriend is a rather imposing guy by the name of JOHNNY. All we could get out of him first time we met him was "JOHNNY", followed by a bone-crushing handshake. Plus, her drink of choice at the moment is Malibu and Irn-Bru, and that's just not right.

Oh, and the other Some Girls stuff may arrive at some point soon.

Oh, and to all the people who revealed the black liquorice dealy to be Salmiakki, thankyou. That sounds right, and it looks like the sort of stuff I'd enjoy.
ech0s wrote:Nods, but the postal service held my last shipment...depends on local if they check or not.
I can buy it from Tesco. Sort of lessens the mystical allure somewhat, but it's still pretty expensive.

Grace O'Malley
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Grace O'Malley »

I may be Suomalainen, but that Salmiakki sounds like EW.
I'll stick with Finlandia vodka.

Barca

Post by Barca »

PoisonedGingerMartini wrote:I may be Suomalainen, but that Salmiakki sounds like EW.
I'll stick with Finlandia vodka.
Finlandia is a Brown-Forman product and should be boycotted until they stop holding the Drunkard hostage with their evil.
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. - Henry Lawson