Your Booze Review: Prichards' "Fine" Rum

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Your Booze Review: Prichards' "Fine" Rum

Post by Badfellow »

Prichards' Fine Rum
80 proof/ 40% alcohol by volume
Mfg. by Prichards' Distillery, Kelso, Tennessee
Approx. $34.95 per 750 ml

Last week, I reviewed Prichards Crystal Rum, the most impressive white rum I have tasted to date. Back at it again, I was curious to try it's dark, older, oaky sibling sharing the shelf. My girlfriend was with this time, and she immediately pointed out the Crystal. "Isn't that the one you like?"

I nodded.

"You should try the other one, then." And with that she bought me the bottle. You can see why I love this woman.

Back to the rum: I was expecting something entirely different than the Crystal, and even at that I was much surprised... One's first impressions are of a very full molassas effect, rich with relatively moderate sweetness and that welcome bit of burnt/caramel flavor. But what happens next is astounding as the oakiness and warmth hit, transforming into something damned near bourbon-ish. In this aspect it has a very American flavor when compared to the myriad of rums from the West Indies, which is exactly the intent of it's distiller. It is quite unique at that.

I also picked up a bottle of Peychaud's Bitters and will attempt a sazerac-sytle cocktail with this rum tonight. It just might work.

Bottom line: it's worth buying a bottle (especially you bourbon lovers) to have the experience. I'd rather spend equal amount on a good bottle of Guatemalan, or almost $10 less for the Crystal which I actually prefer. Enjoy.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

You Rummy.
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

maltlicker11
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Re: Your Booze Review: Prichards' "Fine" Rum

Post by maltlicker11 »

Badfellow wrote:"You should try the other one, then." And with that she bought me the bottle. You can see why I love this woman.
So the shakers are safe now?
Badfellow wrote: Back to the rum: I was expecting something entirely different than the Crystal, and even at that I was much surprised... One's first impressions are of a very full molassas effect, rich with relatively moderate sweetness and that welcome bit of burnt/caramel flavor. But what happens next is astounding as the oakiness and warmth hit, transforming into something damned near bourbon-ish. In this aspect it has a very American flavor when compared to the myriad of rums from the West Indies, which is exactly the intent of it's distiller. It is quite unique at that.
Wonderful description and picture. It's been ages since I've had "good" Rum and personally I equate color with flavor and went with the darker rums.

Oh and in the name of tradition...
%(*&(!$&#^*$^(#$!#$#@( $34.95!
It better be good! <wink>

bye
It's Immaterial - Life's hard and then you die
Licker is quicker

Gauge Macfearson
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Gauge Macfearson »

http://www.beerliquors.com/buy/liquors/ezra_brooks.htm

Ezra Brooks Bourbon: Good on the rocks, straight up, or as a mixer. One shelf above bottom in price, top shelf in taste.

I like this Bourbon, and I don't care what anybody says.