Pappy Van Winkle 20 year

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

Drinking God's Good Scotch

Pappy Van Winkle 20 year

Post by ***** »

Is it worth $90 a bottle? I don't know. That involves a lot of math. But it is good, and using part of the Christmas bonus from the property management company that regularly treats me like a bar of soap in a prison shower to buy it made it all the sweeter.

Straight out of the bottle and into a laser cut Wild Turkey shot glass, I'm first hit with strong charred wood flavor, then mash overtones that quickly fade into smooth Bourbon love. It definately hits you with one of those playful slaps that leaves a bruise you only notice the next morning. I had one neat and two with a splash of water, and I definately felt the warmth that comes from God letting me know that the world is a fine thing, and worth fighting for.

Word to the wise--add a bit of branch (or Brita) to smooth out the flavor. Otherwise, it is a little too reminicient of licking a burnt-out barrel. Granted, it's a delicious burnt-out barrel, but I prefer my wood in my pants, not in my mouth.

DeafDrinker
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by DeafDrinker »

I have heard nothing but awesomeness about the Van Winkle line of bourbons/rye. I live in Alabama so alas we can't get the good shit. I would love to get my hands on any of the VW bottles, especially the 12 year old Lot B, supposed to be a great one. For those who might be wondering, VW is wheated bourbon much like Makers Mark.

Bender!
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Bender! »

Nice review good doctor,

Believe it or not I have yet to try any of the Van Winkle line of Bourbons, but thats because I live in BFE. Until then, this Knob Creek will have to suffice.

RIPT

Post by RIPT »

The Pappy 20 yr is Diesel's favorite.

DeafDrinker
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by DeafDrinker »

RIPT wrote:The Pappy 20 yr is Diesel's favorite.

Good doggie, looks like he wants another bottle of the stuff.

maltlicker11
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by maltlicker11 »

Thanks for the review DDB, I've heard great things about the Pappy VW line but have never tried one. One day. Probably a rye.

bye

ps when you refer to "branch" (water) what exactly did you use? I have come to understand it just means clean neutral tasting spring water and not something someone has steeped sticks in for tannin.
It's Immaterial - Life's hard and then you die
Licker is quicker

RIPT

Post by RIPT »

I be drinking this right now and I'm pretty fucking sure I don't give a shit if you can afford to join me or not because I don't know how to share.

Post by ***** »

Branch water is rain water. As in, if fell off the branches. A good, neutral bottled water will do the trick. Something bottled in the Scottish Highlands is awesome w/Scotch.

CORRECTION:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branch_water

Not that Wikipedia is the end all, be all, but JJ and I are only partially correct. Half-credit to each.
Last edited by ***** on Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jukebox Johnson
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Jukebox Johnson »

DrDrinkBastard wrote:Branch water is rain water. As in, if fell off the branches. A good, neutral bottled water will do the trick. Something bottled in the Scottish Highlands is awesome w/Scotch.
Branch water is water from a 'branch' aka creek, stream, etc.
The greater our knowledge increases, the greater our ignorance unfolds.

Mallory Knox
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Pappy Van Winkle 20 year

Post by Mallory Knox »

DrDrinkBastard wrote:but I prefer my wood in my pants, not in my mouth.
I just got done watching a zillion episodes of Scrubs and found it hard not to go for the female version of "The Todd" answer here:

I prefer your wood in my mouth, not in your pants.

Sorry.
Had to be done.
ivan wrote:Bring it! You foe me, and I'll make brilliant posts that you won't see!

White Dog
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by White Dog »

The Van Winkles(Rip) make a 14 yr reserve which is pure heaven. The potion you speak of goes down a little too smoothly, making a session seem like a dream. Maybe it never happened...
Ting-a-ling! -Kilgore Trout-

RIPT

Post by RIPT »

Fuck. I just drank the last of it. Time to order more.

Aarkwilde
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Aarkwilde »

Everything I've tried from Van Winkle has been great. It's hard to find though. Bevmo seems to get it once in a while, and I buy it when I see it.

I bought the 20 year about a year ago on the recommendation of someone here, and that was what turned me on the the line. It was great, but I couldn't stop drinking it. The bottle went fast.

I've currently got the 10 year 107 proof open, and a bottle of the 12 year lot b. Both are exceptional.

I've never tried the rye. I can't find it. Bevmo tried to order it for me but didn't have any luck.
SIGbooze - Since 1967

jackarse
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by jackarse »

Aarkwilde wrote:I've currently got the 10 year 107 proof open, and a bottle of the 12 year lot b. Both are exceptional.
What is "lot b"? Is this part of the brand name or like a barrel/cask number?

These all sound exquisite!
Can't spell Arsenal without it!

Aarkwilde
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Aarkwilde »

jackarse wrote:
Aarkwilde wrote:I've currently got the 10 year 107 proof open, and a bottle of the 12 year lot b. Both are exceptional.
What is "lot b"? Is this part of the brand name or like a barrel/cask number?

These all sound exquisite!
It's aged 12 years and 90 proof. I don't know why it's labeled lot b. I've never seen a lot a or c, and they're been on the shelves for the year and a half I've been paying attention. It's great stuff though, and at $40 a bottle not out of reach. The 20 year is $90 and I can't convince myself to buy another bottle yet.
SIGbooze - Since 1967