Your Booze Review: Medos Honey Flavored Vodka

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Your Booze Review: Medos Honey Flavored Vodka

Post by Badfellow »

Medos Honey Flavored Vodka

80 proof/40% alcohol by volume
Distilled by Polmos S.A.
Bielsko-Biala, Poland

750 ml
Approx. $12.99 USD

Admittedly, I'm a sucker for pretty much anything on the shelf that is even loosely associated with mead. Leary as I am of commercially made "flavored" vodkas, the impulses of my mead fixation were more than enough to overcome such poor bias. I wasn't sure what to expect, but as you know part of reviewing booze is taking point into uncharted and at times perilous drinking territory.

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting this, a "vodka" as damn near to Dom B&B as I've ever tasted. The texture is thick and sweet while the flavor (again much like B&B) is a complex mixture of subtle flavors that challenge the imbibist to really get off their ass and pay consideration to what they're drinking. Yes, the honey is there in abundance, but what is more impressive is the interplay of bitter herbals that prevents this sweet liquor from becoming cloying.

Medos Honey Flavored Vodka, since 1827. If you happen to notice, the shape of the label bears a passing resemblance to Luksosowa Vodka. Coincidence?

Overall, this is not the sort of booze you'd most ideally use to fuel yourself to the Island. As shots after dinner -dessert and digestif rolled into one- it is difficult to beat. As stated before, it compares quite strongly with B&B but at around 1/2 to 1/3 the price. It would make a good addition to the well-rounded liquor cabinet or bar.

Cheers.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by **** »

barenjager is also quite lovely. it is the honey flavored cousin of jagermeister. i like to add it to my tea--until i get tired of tea.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

This, Frau Chick, puts the B-Jag to bed with the whole, full bitter bit. It is the B&B of Polska, I shit thee not. And ma'am, I was once one to do Bear barrels with the pissiest beer I could procure (read well past Leinenkeugels into the Blatz).

#6 car of the trainwreck treated me well, but I moved back over into neutral grain spiritsland. Any of you amber-swillers who say vodka doesn't hold court, I'll match your namby-pamby drams with a neutral grained fifth that goes GLUG-GLUG-GLUG. Lead this horse to liquor and do make him drink.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

mediakill
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by mediakill »

Can't drink mead its tooo sugery sweet... have some krupnik and honey liquor here, love polish alcohol... najlepsy smak ;)

mediakill
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by mediakill »

haven't reached to my stash of polish vodkas but polmos also makes Luksosowa wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or seriously asking. Much prefer zubrowka ]=) haven't found many polish people that like Luksosowa then again maybe i drink with harder polish people 8/ dunno. Come here to poland we will take a trip down south for some Śliwowica

Quoting the ever informative wikipedia:

The Polish name for moonshine is bimber; although the word samogon (from Russian) is also used. Far less common is the word księżycówka, which literally means moonshine. The tradition of producing moonshine might be traced back to the Middle Ages when tavern-owners used to manufacture vodka for local sales mainly from various kinds of grain and fruits. Later on, other means were adopted, particularly those based on fermentation of yeast with the help of sugar. Some of the moonshine is also made from distilling plums and is known under the name of śliwowica (similar to the Czech word 'slivovice'). The plum moonshine made in area of Łącko (Southern Poland) called Łącka Śliwowica gained nation-wide fame, with tourists travelling long distances to buy one or two bottles of this strong liquor. Because of the climate and density of the population, most of the activity occurred indoors.

In Poland, the simplest recipe for producing moonshine by fermentation of yeast with the use of 1 kilogram of sugar, 4 liters of water, and 10 dag (= 100 g) of yeast is jokingly abbreviated as 1410 - the year of the Battle of Grunwald, most famous victory of Kingdom of Poland, the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and their allies over the Knights of the Teutonic Order in the Middle Ages.

Under Polish law it is illegal to manufacture moonshine, which was confirmed by the Supreme Court’s ruling of 30 November 2004. Selling home-made alcohol is also a tax offence as there is an excise imposed on sale of alcohol, and there is no provision for those manufacturing alcohol illegally to pay this duty even should they want to. In reality the law is not consistently enforced, the one example of turning blind eye being the authorities tolerating large-scale manufacture and open sale to the public of the above mentioned Śliwowica Łącka moonshine.

mediakill
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by mediakill »

Can't believe some polish people think bols vodka is classy when served? Why??? with all the good vodka here..zubrowka, etc. they might not have a fancy label,etc but i'd take that stuff any day They sell the "upscale" brands like Chopin, Belvedere, grey goose but real polish drinkers don't drink it they sell for about the same as in the states 100z about $25-30 have yet to see anyone buy the stuff here. I'll take zub at 40z=little over 10bucks any day
My gf Ewa's grandfather drinks this brand called white widow or something; gotta ask him exactly later. The guy was a beekeeper and actually made his own honey alcohol haven't talked to him much about it though.

try the cherry liquors if you can. My norweigan classmate loves lubelski gin mixed with polish rum.

mediakill
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by mediakill »

curious you got it in poland or the states? if so how. study here in warsaw

If your into absinth theres a chain of supermarkets here that sell apsinthion absinthe, only seen it sold there and spotted it in one good alcohol store. might wanna try that; or i could just review it 8)

mediakill
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by mediakill »

Albert was the chain ; they also sell a stronger version grand deluxe but only saw it in one store and grabbed the only bottle of the stronger one they had left; was only like 3 bucks more. Poland does not have a absinth tradition so its more akin to a flavored vodka, at least not pretending like czech absinth.
Had a arrogant canadian classmate(best student but man what a arrogant a-hole; lol his gf now his wife had a thing for me ;) hehe) tried to act like czech absinthe was among the best. Synthetic swill knew nothing about absinthe probably also lit his on fire to 8p spainish and french absinth rule