The Old Rip Van Winkle 107

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

The Old Rip Van Winkle 107

Post by Bluto »

I've been waiting for almost a week and am finally getting itno this bottle. Here goes:

first shot looks and smells just the way whiskey should. It's a beautuful amber color and smells of buttterscotch and vanilla. There is also the unmistakable scent of alcohol. I know this is going to be good.

Sip 1 served neat: Hits like ton of bricks from the beginning! There is the vanilla with some toffee and a peppery finish. It has definately woken up my taste buds and leaves a great burn on the way down the gullet.

Rest of the shot: deliscious! I can feel this stuff in the back of my throat. It's the kind of feeling I haven't had from a whiskey in quite a while. I thought maybe all the years of drinking had just numbed me, but this has restored a bit of faith in my world. The taste defiantley lingers in your mouth, but it's not syruppy some other bourbons. (I'm looking at you, Maker's Mark).

Glass 2 on the rocks: With four cubes floating, this is a pretty site (sorry, no pics, yet). The color reminds me of honey and the aroms is still hitting way up at the top of the nostrils. The ice has meelowed out the initial burn, just a bit, but the flavors are still there. Each swallow still warms my throat, as well.

This is a little too pricey to be my everyday bourbon, but I think I'll keep a bottle of it around when I, or some uppity know it all whisk(e)y snob, need a good swift kick in the pants. It's fine stuff, indeed!
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595

JohnnyT

Post by JohnnyT »

Damn fine review. Any pricing info?

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

Roughly $30 per fifth. Not outrageously expensive, but more than I can currently afford for an everyday bourbon.
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595