Glenfiddich 18yo and Balvenie Signature Whisky

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

Wings Of Wax
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Glenfiddich 18yo and Balvenie Signature Whisky

Post by Wings Of Wax »

So my local supermarket has these two on sale; The Glenfiddich 18yo for 57 US, and the Balvenie Signature for 68 US. This is a great price for whisky where I live; it is heavily taxed. Usually, I would be paying at least 25% more. I've never had either of them before, so I go to the sages of whisky; you guys.

I hate peat. Can't stand it. I am not sure about smoky flavours, it may be because of the peat that I have an aversion to smoke. From what I gather, the Glenfiddich is the easier drink, while the Balvenie is a lot more complex. But the real deal breaker is peat, and maybe smoky flavors.

So what should I go for? I usually go for whiskeys/bourbons, because they doesn't have that peaty flavour - that's the main reason i avoid scotch. But do these two whiskeys have peat? If you were to buy one of them, which would you choose?

Thanks!

The Limey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Glenfiddich 18yo and Balvenie Signature Whisky

Post by The Limey »

Over here the Glenfid 18 retails at over £40 and the Balvenie about £33. The Glenfid 18 is a great whisky, and nothing like the poor Glenfid 12. Likewise the Balvenie Sig is one of the better Balvenies and way better than the poor Doublewood. I say get them both, neither of these will trouble your peat sensibilities.

Wings Of Wax
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Wings Of Wax »

The fact that the Glenfiddich is the more expensive choice where you live (the UK?) is a little puzzling.

So when the taste notes I've been reading on both whiskys mentioning smoke and peat, it isn't to an overwhelming degree? My guess is that the Balvenie is the more peaty and smoky whisky.

Let me give you an example of scotch I cannot drink; Lagavulin (sp?). That's just undrinkable. Most of the islay whiskys I find pretty undrinkable because of the peat.

That's another thing; I am not sure the smoky flavours bother me, but since peat and smoke usually go hand in hand, it's possible that smoky isn't that bad. It's the peat that I cannot stand.

But all this peat, that's the real reason why I prefer bourbon, whiskeys and canadian - it's simply because they aren't peaty.

Wings Of Wax
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Wings Of Wax »

I ended up buying two bottles of Glenfiddich 18yo, mainly because I saw a review that described the Balvenie as very woody. The taste of wood reminds me of Lagavulin, and man, I am not ready for those really complicated whiskys at all.

Also, I found a Highland single malt, whatitsname, Dalwhinnie? Something like that. A very good price on that one, and I am considering stocking up on it. Great reviews all around, and I think it will suit my untrained palate perfectly. But if you know different, please chime in.

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

Dalwhinnie is considered a dessert scotch, it's very light and drinkable. Glenfiddich 18 is very good stuff, but I prefer the peatier ones. I love Lagavulin.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Wings Of Wax
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Wings Of Wax »

Resident Asshole wrote:Dalwhinnie is considered a dessert scotch, it's very light and drinkable. Glenfiddich 18 is very good stuff, but I prefer the peatier ones. I love Lagavulin.
Then you, sir, have a much more developed taste than me. I guess it's about practise too; I've heard that to be really gifted at something, you will have to put over 10,000 hours of training into it. Not sure I want to do that just to get to the Lagavulin...

But "dessert scotch" sounds perfect for my taste. Think I'll stock up on that one too - it's 62 USD per bottle. Another thing: Could you guys perhaps tell me how much you pay for your whiskys? Just for reference, since I live in a country where alcohol is heavily taxed. Is 62 USD for example a good price for the Dalwhinnie?

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

Wings Of Wax wrote: I've heard that to be really gifted at something, you will have to put over 10,000 hours of training into it
i heard the magic number for expert-level proficiency was 5,000 hours. either way, i'm willing to do the time to be an expert at whiskey.

cheers!
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

The Limey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Limey »

Wings Of Wax wrote:The fact that the Glenfiddich is the more expensive choice where you live (the UK?) is a little puzzling.

So when the taste notes I've been reading on both whiskys mentioning smoke and peat, it isn't to an overwhelming degree? My guess is that the Balvenie is the more peaty and smoky whisky.
They both have virtually no peat (medicinal, iodine, seaweed, earthy) but do both have light whiffs of smoke. The correct price for the Signature is £34.89, exactly £2 more than the entry level Balvenie Doublewood. If you want to try a good Balvenie then go for the Single Barrel Aged 15 Years.

The Glenfid 18 is £38.50 rrp.

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

Wings Of Wax wrote: I've heard that to be really gifted at something, you will have to put over 10,000 hours of training into it. Not sure I want to do that just to get to the Lagavulin...
Believe me, it's pretty easy to put in 10,000 hours of drinking.
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Wings Of Wax
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Wings Of Wax »

The Limey wrote:They both have virtually no peat (medicinal, iodine, seaweed, earthy) but do both have light whiffs of smoke. The correct price for the Signature is £34.89, exactly £2 more than the entry-level Balvenie Doublewood. If you want to try a good Balvenie then go for the Single Barrel Aged 15 Years.
Thanks for the price checks, first of all.

Secondly, I saw a video review by someone called Ralfy, and he said that the Signature was woody, and I hate wood in my drink. So not going to buy the Balvenie; bought 2 bottles of GlenFiddich 18yo instead (without having tasted it; I've only seen rave reviews, so I took a chance . hope it's as good as I think).

The Limey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Limey »

Yeah, Ralfy is good.

captain gonzo
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by captain gonzo »

Your tastes seem to oppose mine (the peatier the better for me) but Geln 18yo is good still.

I find it hard to taste the lighter styles...but that 18yo is decent.
Drunk? I'm not drunk! You wouldn't dare accuse me of that if I was s0ber!

Surreal
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Surreal »

Wings Of Wax wrote:So my local supermarket has these two on sale; The Glenfiddich 18yo for 57 US, and the Balvenie Signature for 68 US. This is a great price for whisky where I live; it is heavily taxed. Usually, I would be paying at least 25% more. I've never had either of them before, so I go to the sages of whisky; you guys.

I hate peat. Can't stand it. I am not sure about smoky flavours, it may be because of the peat that I have an aversion to smoke. From what I gather, the Glenfiddich is the easier drink, while the Balvenie is a lot more complex. But the real deal breaker is peat, and maybe smoky flavors.

So what should I go for? I usually go for whiskeys/bourbons, because they doesn't have that peaty flavour - that's the main reason i avoid scotch. But do these two whiskeys have peat? If you were to buy one of them, which would you choose?

Thanks!
fuck em man, it ain't easy walkin the righteous path.
- Hoss