Did anyone try this Knockeen hills Poteen potato whiskey

Moderators: mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Bluespook, Mother Goose, Shane-O-Matic, Plumber

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Did anyone try this Knockeen hills Poteen potato whiskey

Post by beerkegbilly »

I want try it a add came up my facebook page just thinking would it taste
I hope they sell it in my state.

BeerMakesMeSmart
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Did anyone try this Knockeen hills Poteen potato whiskey

Post by BeerMakesMeSmart »

I swore it said knockers.
I'll miss you, pallie.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I thought of buying it, though I was worried that it might have been a tourist thing, just vodka in a funny bottle, and looking at the bottle it looks like that. I know there are only a few legal distilleries in Ireland, and none are mentioned on the website. They are not from illegal distilleries because they have EU recognition. I think this quote from their website says a lot "Knockeen Hills uses exclusively Irish Spirit, and is a product of Ireland. We apologise for errors on some labels, describing it as still being produced in Waterford and using grain spirit. The taste remains the same. Slainte!" AS far as I can tell from this they are simply buying in grain alcohol, (which can legally be called Irish spirit if made in ireland) Watering it down to strength and bottling. This is not traditional poteen, though I'm sure it is a nice enough drink. The only way to get traditional poteen would be to come to Ireland and make it yourself, or find someone to give you some (which is not easy). If you want to know what it tastes like, buy some unaged corn whiskey, the two taste the same, and are made in the same way
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Mr. Viking wrote: unaged corn whiskey, the two taste the same, and are made in the same way
Shine on Georgia Moon
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

The Limey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Limey »

Traditional Poitín is triple distilled in pot stills from grains with some malted barley in the mash bill. Although a lot of stuff was made with potatoes. It's basically unaged triple-distilled Irish whiskey.

These days it best approached as a vodka, especially Knockeen Hills which is available up to 90%, the lower strength versions will be triple distilled and the 90% will be quadruple distilled. Poitín is now an internationally protected designation, even though there are just a few available brands.

Illegal Irish moonshine still occurs, and still laced with wood alcohols, so beware if you value your sight.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

The Limey wrote:Traditional Poitín is triple distilled in pot stills from grains with some malted barley in the mash bill. Although a lot of stuff was made with potatoes. It's basically unaged triple-distilled Irish whiskey.

These days it best approached as a vodka, especially Knockeen Hills which is available up to 90%, the lower strength versions will be triple distilled and the 90% will be quadruple distilled. Poitín is now an internationally protected designation, even though there are just a few available brands.

Illegal Irish moonshine still occurs, and still laced with wood alcohols, so beware if you value your sight.
for moonshine you got thrown the first cut and the bottom cut to keep the middle cut.
The first cut has wood Alcohol and so does the bottom

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

beerkegbilly wrote:
The Limey wrote:Traditional Poitín is triple distilled in pot stills from grains with some malted barley in the mash bill. Although a lot of stuff was made with potatoes. It's basically unaged triple-distilled Irish whiskey.

for moonshine you got thrown the first cut and the bottom cut to keep the middle cut.
well not exactly, the top cut gets thrown away, but the bottom still has usable alcohol in it, it just doesn't taste very nice, so you usually keep it and add it to your next mash.
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

The Limey
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by The Limey »

beerkegbilly wrote: for moonshine you got thrown the first cut and the bottom cut to keep the middle cut.
You're quite right Billy, besides, fermentation produces very little methanol. Most cases of blindness will be from unscrupulous or stupid characters cutting the produce with bought meths.

Irish Poteen
Tippler
Tippler

Post by Irish Poteen »

Knockeen Hills is NOT simply unaged whisky like Beams Global Spirits owned poitin, produced by their wholly owned Irish subsidiary called Cooleys Distillery

Knpockeen Hills is made in a centuries old traditional manner using whey (see http://www.irish-poteen.com/consumer/consumer_main.html ) and produced completely in Ireland and them bottled elsewhere. See extract below:-

In the 15th and 16th Century, Crown Agents, and in later times the Garda, could impose heavy fines and confiscate farm machinery where sacks of grain or barley were found that they decided were intended to be used to produce a mash and subsequently poteen. Avoiding any of these tell-tale signs that poteen was being produced and with it the risk of prosecution/fines/imprisonment, meant producers using whey could work more freely without worry.

Therefore, as no cow was ever known to have been confiscated, hence its milk was frequently used in the spirit making process, and Knockeen Hills poteens follow that centuries old tradition.

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

whatever; new guy buys. poteen would be great; it's been too long.

cheers, fucker.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Irish Poteen wrote:Knockeen Hills is NOT simply unaged whisky like Beams Global Spirits owned poitin, produced by their wholly owned Irish subsidiary called Cooleys Distillery

Knpockeen Hills is made in a centuries old traditional manner using whey (see http://www.irish-poteen.com/consumer/consumer_main.html ) and produced completely in Ireland and them bottled elsewhere. See extract below:-

In the 15th and 16th Century, Crown Agents, and in later times the Garda, could impose heavy fines and confiscate farm machinery where sacks of grain or barley were found that they decided were intended to be used to produce a mash and subsequently poteen. Avoiding any of these tell-tale signs that poteen was being produced and with it the risk of prosecution/fines/imprisonment, meant producers using whey could work more freely without worry.

Therefore, as no cow was ever known to have been confiscated, hence its milk was frequently used in the spirit making process, and Knockeen Hills poteens follow that centuries old tradition.
Stop lying, whey only contains lactate sugars, which I'm sure we all know, are not fermentable by conventional methods, so would you be suggesting that Knockeen Hills is in fact steamed, skimmed milk? Knockeen Hills is produced in Waterford, Ireland, I believe "Knockeen Hills uses exclusively Irish Spirit, and is a product of Ireland. We apologise for errors on some labels, describing it as still being produced in Waterford and using grain spirit. The taste remains the same. Slainte!" But have made this statement, which appears to deny this, but if you read it properly does not (lawyers?) I think this brand is a cynical marketing exercise and doesn't make me proud to be irish. i'll have a large glass of real poitin please

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Had a quick google, and it turns out you can ferment lactose, but it needs a symbiotic yeast culture to convert the lactose to glucose before fermentation, and that there is a distillery in Ireland that produces it for fuel use http://nzic.org.nz/ChemProcesses/dairy/3H.pdf But I am not aware of any alcoholic drink made entirely from milk. (Milk stout is only partly milk, which doesn't ferment, leaving it sweet, and ignoring Kumis, the mongolian fermented mare's milk, which has barely any alcohol in it)

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by beerkegbilly »

Irish Poteen wrote:Knockeen Hills is NOT simply unaged whisky like Beams Global Spirits owned poitin, produced by their wholly owned Irish subsidiary called Cooleys Distillery

Yes Like Baileys

CelticLaoch
Tippler
Tippler

Post by CelticLaoch »

Yes. I wouldn't advise drinking it straight (90% volume), put some water in it.
Or else just drink 250 ml.
Smooth strong stuff. If you know how to drink (sensibly) you'll love it