Cheap ass bad decisions are much more expensive

Remember what happened last night? Good. Now tell the world.

Moderators: Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator, Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, oettinger, Judge

Swede
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Cheap ass bad decisions are much more expensive

Post by Swede »

I got cheap and decided to take the bike from the bar a couple of weeks ago instead of wasting money on getting a cab.

The way home is a bit blurry. I got about 4.5 km (2.8 miles) from the closest pub (all of them) but I'm not sure how far I made it until I crashed my bike the first time. I'm not sure which crash came first and if there were more than three but I only recall three.

In random order as I can't recall where I fell so the order is arbitrary.

#1 I remember I went off the road and into a muddy place, a ditch perhaps, I don't recall, I just recall falling into wet mud and an found that my shoes, pants, jacket and bike was covered with mud the next day.

#2 Tarmac, I hit my head. Not too bad, I was a bit bruised about an inch above my left temple. I recall hitting my head and thinking shit, this can end really bad.

#3 Tarmac again, I'm pretty sure that swayed of the side walk and fell out on the street landing on my shoulder with full force. I just lay there on the road for a while because of the pain and established that this was definitely not a good.

I remember leading my bike for some time and also trying to just sit on the bicycle seat and use my feet to move forward.

Don't remember getting home or how I got my clothes off and into bed. My wife didn't hear me when I got home to I was in stealth mode no doubt.

I slept well that night.

Woke up in the early AM, not at all hung over and not feeling very drunk. The only thing I felt was pain. No, PAIN. I tried getting out of bed and recalled falling on my shoulder and clearly there was something wrong. The arm wasn't quite here it was supposed to be. I went to the bathroom and sat down for a piss and I couldn't almost get back up as it hurt my arm moving the smallest muscle. T'was early so I went back to bed and tried to sleep until morning. Around 6 I went for another piss and this time my wife woke up and clearly noticed that something was wrong. Just said, "think I need the emergency room" but I wasn't dying so I waited for a few hours until after breakfast before she gave me a ride to the ER.

Shoulder was laterally displaced and my collar bone had detached at the shoulder. They pumped me full of morphine and put the shoulder back where it was supposed to be. Didn't hurt as much as I thought it would, seems it's mainly when your own muscles that makes the movement it hurts like hell. Of course, there was the morphine and whatever else shit they were pumping me full of. Made me puke.

2 1/2 week later I'm still in pain, probably will be for a long while. Got my first physiotherapist appointment tomorrow.

Lessons learned:

- Drink more so that there is no way at all to get onto of a bike.
- Take cab instead of bike, the medical bills outdoes the cab fee by far.

Still, it was totally worth it. The funny thing with all this is that I don't regret it as I've been somewhat depressed the past few months. Not sure why. Not feeling up or down, just nothing, limbo, meaningless. Feeling nothing for no reason. Pain makes you feel alive. Also reminds you that feeling nothing isn't half that bad.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: Cheap ass bad decisions are much more expensive

Post by Mr. Viking »

get one of those adult trikes, can't fall off them, and they have places to carry more booze on them than those shitty bottle holders on normal bikes
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

Mr. Viking wrote:get one of those adult trikes, can't fall off them, and they have places to carry more booze on them than those shitty bottle holders on normal bikes
this guy may have a thing or two figured out. the two retarded kids next door had those things when i was growing up. i think they'd work.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

DeeboCools
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by DeeboCools »

I thought all you Northern Europeans got nice national health-care from many fit blonde blue-eyed nurses. What's all this about "cost"? Is this the United States or South Africa?
"S0briety diminishes, discriminates, and says no; drunkenness expands, unites, and says yes." -William James

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I get national health care from my friend's warty old mother
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Swede
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Swede »

Well, there is a cost for every visit. The emergency room is $45. Every doctors visit is $15. Same goes for physiotherapist visits.

$45 + $15 + $15 + $15 + $15= $105 > cab fare pub to home $30 :)

Got a private health insurance that could give me the money back but I won't bother.

Tariel
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Tariel »

Mr. Viking wrote:get one of those adult trikes, can't fall off them, and they have places to carry more booze on them than those shitty bottle holders on normal bikes
Only if you're not totally sloshed, otherwise its quite possible to roll it over to the side.
To sit down with these men and deal with them as a representative of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride one's own dignity and to invite the disaster their treachery will bring upon us - Gen. Ridgeway

Tariel
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Tariel »

Wingman wrote:
this guy may have a thing or two figured out. the two retarded kids next door had those things when i was growing up. i think they'd work.
Thing to do is to get a rickshaw, ya could charge money to drop off yer mates home, plus all those people sitting in the back would balance the centre of gravity making it much safer.
To sit down with these men and deal with them as a representative of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride one's own dignity and to invite the disaster their treachery will bring upon us - Gen. Ridgeway

Swede
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Swede »

He could've used one of those tricycles as well as I could've.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... ZUfX7Gdw5g

CalgaryDialaBottle
Tippler
Tippler

Post by CalgaryDialaBottle »

As far as i can recall I had been this phase also where I have broke my left arm in bike accident returning from a pub.
From that day i never used to ride my bike when i am drunk. And also take a friend with me. Because our one mistake can lead to disaster.
My wishes for you get well soon and don't forget this lesson.

Swede
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Swede »

I'm well, no problems with my shoulder, no pain, no nothing, it just looks like shit sticking up about 1 1/2 inch. Although I as you will not be taking the bike on any further adventures...
Last edited by Swede on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Tariel wrote:
Wingman wrote:
Thing to do is to get a rickshaw, ya could charge money to drop off yer mates home, plus all those people sitting in the back would balance the centre of gravity making it much safer.
How bout a Tuk-Tuk?
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Swede
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Swede »

One of these suckers would be awesome: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... w_pict.JPG

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Swede
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Swede »

My god, that's a beautiful creation.