Small world (if you work on the water)

Remember what happened last night? Good. Now tell the world.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Small world (if you work on the water)

Post by Merchant Seaman »

back in my commercial fishing days, I lived in Ballard, back when Seattle was a blue collar town, and the Ballard neighborhood was home to fishermen, longies, various other watermen, and those that provided service, everything from foundries, to bars (lots of bars) to whores, yes it was paradise.

Across the cut from Ballard proper was (and is) Fishermen's Terminal, and at the terminal sits a bar named the Highlinner.

Now the Highlinner was a great joint, the Bartender/cook was also a semipro boxer, the rest of the staff consisted of four, sometimes five very easy on the eyes women. On any given day or night back then the joint was full of mostly fishermen (and fisherwomen) when a factory trawler was in, the joint was packed, other times the place still jumped.

There was an old woman, not sure how old she really was, but the years had not been kind to her what teeth she had left were broken, not melted meth style, but broken and jagged, she lived in the bushes near the train switching yard that is next to the terminal. She would make several visits each night, and go to every table, and everyone at the bar and say, "sonny, if you buy me a Busch Beer, Ill give you a blow job."

While a few would buy her a beer I assumed no one ever took her up on the blow job, I was wrong.

Some years went by, and I was moving from commercial fishing to shipping, and I had just paid off a breakbulk freighter owned by the old Sunmar Shipping, it had been a good trip, Russian far east.

So I was flush with cash, and at loose ends, Ballard was transitioning from a fishermen's neighborhood to a yuppie-hipster-tefhie neighborhood, the old joints were changing fast, so Ballard Ave wasn't to my liking one night, so I crossed the cut and wandered into the Highlinner.

The semipro boxer Bartender/cook was still there and besides me, there was on other customer, we got to talking about the old days, the old woman was mentioned, and I said that I didn't think she ever gave out a blow job. The other customer told me I was wrong, he was (and perhaps still is) the owner/captain of a tuna boat, they moored at Fishermen's Terminal but fished tuna near Samoa.

He said that about ten years earlier, he was getting ready to head to the fishing grounds, planning on leaving early in the morning, well he says he got up, walked into the galley and the old woman was sitting at the table drinking tea, he told her she had to leave, and she answered, "don't sass me sonny, I'm the captain's girlfriend!"

He said "oh really!?" Show me which stateroom this captain sleeps in."

She pointed to the room where his greenhorn a 19 year old slept he banged on the door and went in, he found his greenhorn packing his seabag, the captain told him he wasn't fired, just get her off the boat so they could sail. After they cleared the locks the kid came to the wheelhouse to thank the captain for not firing him, the captain said, "don't thank me yet, this trip will 5-7 months, and you ain't livin' this down!"

We all had a good laugh at the story.

More years went by I was fully out of fishing and sailing merchant, I was on a bulker we had taken two loads of sugar from Hawaii to the C&H mill in Crockett California, after the second trip the ship was at a layberth in Richmond Ca. and I reshipped the articles, we loaded grain in Portland Oregon, and sailed to Jakarta.

We got Jakarta, and swung on the hook for a month before going to the dock to offload. We of course had regular launch service while we were on the hook.

I took a weekend off and was staying at a hotel in China Town, yes Jakarta has a China Town, a few other guys from the ship were at the same hotel

Sunday night we all met in the hotel restaurant, and were drinking and talking, and I told the old woman tuna boat story which I concluded with, and I bet that horn didn't live that story down.

The second mate gave me an odd look and said, you're right, I didn't.
Last edited by Merchant Seaman on Tue May 18, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Small world (if you work on the water)

Post by oettinger »

I didn`t get it either. I`m dumb
Drink!

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

oettinger wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:40 pm
I didn`t get it either. I`m dumb
What don't you get?

And who else didn't get it?

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Mind you I`drunk but:

She pointed to the room where is greenhorn a 19 year old slept he banged on the door and went in, he found his greenhorn packing his seabag, the captain told him he wasn't fired, just get her off the boat so they could sail. After they cleared the locks the kid came to the wheelhouse to thank the captain for not firing him, the captain said, "don't thank me yet, this trip will 5-7 months, and you ain't livin' this down!"

?
Drink!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

I`ll re-read tomorrow and feel dumber
Drink!

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

oettinger wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:48 pm
Mind you I`drunk but:

She pointed to the room where is greenhorn a 19 year old slept he banged on the door and went in, he found his greenhorn packing his seabag, the captain told him he wasn't fired, just get her off the boat so they could sail. After they cleared the locks the kid came to the wheelhouse to thank the captain for not firing him, the captain said, "don't thank me yet, this trip will 5-7 months, and you ain't livin' this down!"

?
The Horn stayed on the boat, and was teased mercilessly for the duration

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

I rarely understand anything. It's a small world, smoke on the water

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

No
Drink!

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

I'm sorry, what are you not getting?

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

oettinger wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:30 pm
No
yes

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Im too drunk tea Seaman, my brain hurts.

I promise to give it another round tomorrow afternoon
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Don't give up now. You're really on to something there.

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

oettinger wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:16 pm

OK

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

scream ale wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:06 pm
oettinger wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:30 pm
Yes
No
Eh
Drink!

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

oettinger wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:16 pm

Did you?