Drunk Travel Log

Remember what happened last night? Good. Now tell the world.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Drunk Travel Log

Post by Badfellow »

oettinger wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:41 am
How does a keg blow up?
There are several reasons a keg might "blow up" or "blow out", and none of them are pretty.

The most common cause is a dirty tap line. It can possibly contaminate the keg via the ball valve with a bacterial condition known as "gushing". It can also occur from contaminated beer or an improperly cleaned keg.

It’s also quite possible for bar servers and owners to fuck up the PSI setting on the keg counter pressure system and inject too much carbon dioxide gas back into the keg. Rough handling may also cause a keg to blow it’s wad when tapped. Yeah, I did that last sentence on purpose.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

Thursday, Day II

Mrs Booze and I set out to find Larimer Square, an older neighborhood which is supposed to have a ton of good bars. Bullshit. It's a gentrified area with a bunch of hipster fuck holes they call "bars". The first was a place called "Retro," which was just opening when we walked in. there was a young bartender who had no interest in doing her job. I asked for an Irsh Coffee.

"I don't have coffee," she said quickly.

"Can I get some from the restaurant next door and bring it in here?" I asked.

"No. Outside drinks are not allowed. This is a bar," she snapped.

She clearly doesn't understand how shit works. And she clearly doesn't understand that a customer is the person who has the power to give her the money to pay her rent. Fuck Retro. We moved on.

We made our way to an older warehouse district which has been transformed into hipster lofts, overpriced restaurants, and breweries. It's one of those places that only allows organic food, rescue dogs, and people with a tackle box of shit stuck in their face. But we did find neet little bar tucked inside the "Denver Central Market," a big building stuffed with vendors of art, food, coffee, baked goods, and, luck for us, cocktails. As much as I tend to loathe places like this, we hit the jackpot. We were the only customers at the bar and had the bartender's full attention. We asked for a list of his favorite bars and he provided a firehose of information. The rest of the day was spent visiting each of those awesome recommendations.

Don's Pub Lounge was our favorite. It's a little neighborhood dive with cheap drinks and a great bartender. At about the time we arrived, there was a tornado warning being broadcast to all local cell phones. We were supposed to seek shelter for the next 45 minutes. This created a fun atmosphere in the bar as dozens of people showed up to weather the storm. In the end, it was only a 15 minute downpour with a little lightning and thunder. But it was a hell of a party at Don's.
DRINK!

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Friday, Day III

We started the day at the Appaloosa Bar and Grill. It's a employee-owned place that should have been great. It looks great, has a great history, has a cool 150 year old bar that was relocated to it's current location 20 years ago, and the staff seemed great. But nothing was great at all. It sucked. It was close to impossible to get a drink, and even closer to get a refill. When we cashed out, the bartender informed us that he tacked on an automatic 20% tip and stongly encouraged me to add more. For those of you who know me, I'm a obscene tipper. Even lackluster service will earn at least 20%. But a surprise automatic add-on pisses me off. It seems like a license to provide shitty service. I did not give them the requested additional cash.

We spent the rest of the day near union station. Trains coming and going from all over the continent and bars to serve the track-weary travelers. It was at one of those bars where Mrs Booze was over-served, so it was an early night.
DRINK!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

No FKR sighting yet?

Seems like the good bars are good but the bad ones are liquid hell.

I wish I was there
Drink!

Absinthe Of Malice
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Absinthe Of Malice »

Dear Booze, is there a book? I have enjoyed this thead thoroughly.

And your twitter too but I don't want to seem stalkery.

More stalker-ier than usual.
DRINK!
RIP Bill, aka mistah willies

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Absinthe Of Malice wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:58 pm
And your twitter too but I don't want to seem stalkery.
Dear Booze deserves some reciprocal stalking. Dude called me at work once and I didn't even give him the number.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

^^^ That's dedication. Creepy but dedicated.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

That was on drunken skype, DB actually called four different watering holes until he found Nausea`s workplace. That was hilarious
Drink!

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

scream ale wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:23 pm
I also delivered a pizza to Patchez, painted the address on the curb in front of Badfellow's house, drove an Uber just so I could drive AD to the airport, mowed Rye N Coke's lawn, served a beer to Lush City at The Prince of Whales in Playa Del Rey, tried to sell solar panels to Thirsty Drunk, bummed a smoke from Oett at a bus stop, picked up some AmVet donations from Lady Savage, put a live opossum on Hugh's porch, and honked at you Wednesday morning on the way to work.
DRINK!

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Dear Booze wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:58 pm
scream ale wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:23 pm
I also delivered a pizza to Patchez, painted the address on the curb in front of Badfellow's house, drove an Uber just so I could drive AD to the airport, mowed Rye N Coke's lawn, served a beer to Lush City at The Prince of Whales in Playa Del Rey, tried to sell solar panels to Thirsty Drunk, bummed a smoke from Oett at a bus stop, picked up some AmVet donations from Lady Savage, put a live opossum on Hugh's porch, and honked at you Wednesday morning on the way to work.
I'll be all around in the dark. I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look—wherever there's a fight so undrunk people can drink, I'll be there. Wherever there's a bartender trying to 86 a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're thirsty. I'll be in the way people laugh when they're tipsy and they know that a stranger or a friend has bought them another drink, and when the people are drinkin' stuff at home, and makin' up their own cocktail recipes when they're drunk, I'll be there, too.
DRINK!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Dear Booze wrote:
Put a live opossum on Hugh's porch
Hugh,
Why was this not part of your "today in my neighborhood..." series? You're slacking.

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

scream ale wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:33 pm
Dear Booze wrote:
Hugh,
Why was this not part of your "today in my neighborhood..." series? You're slacking.
The possum stole his phone and has been posting on here, pretending to be Hugh.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Nausea wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:45 pm
scream ale wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:33 pm
Dear Booze wrote:
Hugh,
The possum stole his phone and has been posting on here, pretending to be Hugh.
You also noticed the shift in his posting patterns?
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

What the fuck Hugh? Post videos with the opossum

Dear Booze

Morro Bay December, 2021

Post by Dear Booze »

For many years, with exception of 2020, I join a group of friends to travel to California's central coast area to play golf during the week between Christmas and New Year's. It's really just an excuse to get away and drink in some of our favorite bars.

This was exactly what happened this week. But things got a little wierd due to a huge area-wide power outage...

First those unfamiliar with the region, the central coast is located south of Monterey/Santa Cruz/San Francisco, and north of Santa Barbara/Ventura/LA. It includes towns like Pismo Beach, Avala Beach and San Luis Obispo. We stayed in Morro Bay.

It's been raining like a motherfucker for about ten days, so we carefully chose a day when the forcast said the weather was supposed to be dry. It was a small window of about 20 hours.

On Monday morning, everything went as planned. Karman picked us all up and we were on the road by 7:00. We stopped for breakfast and still made it to Morro Bay by 10:45. It was still raining a little when we pulled into the golf course parking lot. But the odd thing was there were only two or three cars in the parking lot and the clubhouse was closed. The pro shop was open, but the lights were off.

The guy that worked there informed us that there was a city-wide power outage and it wasn't expected to be restored until 11:00 P.M. He said we were welcome to play, but there were no carts available. The carts are electric and none were charged; the power outage started the night before. Normally. we would walk the course but none of us brought push carts and our bags are all cart bags - way too big and heavy to carry over an entire course.

So, we decided to start drinking early.

We drove south to the next town, Los Osos, to drink at The Ale House and Los Osos Tavern. Ale House is not my cup of joy. The only have beer. But I stuck with it for about an hour. Los Osos Tavern is fucking awesome. It looks and feels like one of those shitty dives you would find in rural Michigan. The building looks like it started as a house and the owners kept adding on for the past several decades. The people all seem like a bunch of hicks too. It's perfect. We got four seat at the bar and began drinking.

I could have stayed planted there for several more hours, but we had to drive ten miles back to Morro Bay without a DUI charge and or committing vehicular manslaughter. Or both.

So we returned to MB, checked into our shitty motel, the Rockview, and then set out on foot.

We found a bar, The Siren, that had power, so we settled in and started pounding our favorite cocktails. Before long, the place filled up with a swarm of customers. On a Monday night? I guess that in a world of blind people, the one-eyed man is king.

After several hours, we began playing a dice game where, through a series of rolls, it's determined who will pick a drink, who will pay for the drink, and who will drink that drink. This never ends well because it's a fast paced game.

We continued this for a couple of hours. At some point a Skype ring notified us that Nausea and Rye started a call. So Kam, Travis and I all let them in on the game. It was Rye's choice of a Tequila shot that did me in. Things got blurry after that.

Eventually, we decided to move on. The power had been restored by ten, so we were able to find a liquor store. I don't think I bought booze, but I did get locked inside the walk-in fridge for a few minutes. I don't think I was supposed to go in there. I also bought some jerkey and hot takis.

From there we walked back to Rockview. We all sang REM's "Don't Go Back to Rockville" the entire way there, stopping only to turn off all of the big neon signs along the way.
DRINK!