San Diego, CA dive bars

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

San Diego, CA dive bars

Post by Hugh »

They're almost all gone. Only a couple of them left. My favorite was Tobacco Rhoda's - now also gone. After 44 reviews on Yelp, it could only get up to 2 stars: https://www.yelp.com/biz/tobacco-rhodas ... =date_desc

It was my kind of bar - some of the reviewers actually mentioned me, I somewhat personified the fucking place. Here is a cut n paste of a typical review:
Trashy Rhoda's! Good riddance to this piece of shit. Every time I visit my fiancé, who lives within a 5 minute walk of this crack den, we have been forced to walk in front of it, whether going to or coming from one of the restaurants or bars in Hillcrest or on 30th and University. Be it late at night or in broad daylight, there are always unsavory characters in front of it. Without fail, there is vomit on the sidewalk, piss and shit outside the entrance, shards of broken glass in the doorway, and things that look suspiciously like needles littering the immediate area. Oh, don't forget the hordes of unwashed miscreants lingering in the doorway, either fighting with each other, passed out, stumbling drunk across University, or leering and catcalling at anyone with ovaries. Our nostrils were constantly assaulted with the stench of burning flesh, old cigarettes, cheap beer, and stale urine. I am certain that there are STIs that have not been discovered, lurking on the seats inside. No amount of bleach can help this sad, infected outhouse. One would need a hazmat suit to escape, if trapped inside. Bye, Rhoda's, you will not be missed!

That was me she was talking about, RE miscreants hanging out in the doorway.

Now I spend most of my time at Alibi or Merrow. Well, no, actually I spend most of my time in my little apartment, but when I go out, those are my two favorite bars. I would like to have my old bars where you could puke on the floor without being 86'd, but they're gone. These two are a decent substitute.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: San Diego, CA dive bars

Post by Artful Drunktective »

This sounds like a very fine establishment. A very fine establishment, indeed. Yelpers don't always know what they are talking about. I mean, can't they just step over the vomit, broken glass. syringes, and condoms like they do the bums and drunks laying on the ground? Geeze. These people need to lighten up.
Okole maluna!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

You just described le Hole

I always read on the internet that SD is one of the greatest towns to live in. This is proof.

Also I bet on top of Rhoda`s, was a brothel named Rhonda`s. It`s a single room with one fat ugly - I`ll stop here, you get it
Drink!

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

Hugh wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:08 pm
They're almost all gone. Only a couple of them left.
Not sure what area you live in, Hugh. But I agree. The gentrification of downtown and Little Italy has ruined it for the likes of me. But Ocean Beach still has a lot to offer. Tilted Stick on Voltaire, and about a half dozen bars on Newport are still what they should be. Act quickly, they will not last.
DRINK!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Dear Booze wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:56 am
Hugh wrote:
They're almost all gone. Only a couple of them left.
Not sure what area you live in, Hugh. But I agree. The gentrification of downtown and Little Italy has ruined it for the likes of me. But Ocean Beach still has a lot to offer. Tilted Stick on Voltaire, and about a half dozen bars on Newport are still what they should be. Act quickly, they will not last.
I live in Hillcrest. That's why Merrow and Alibi are my favorites. I can't drive to OB or PB anymore. A few years ago I used to hop in my car while hitting the bars, but the California Highway Patrol held and intervention on me on the side of the highway at 2 AM and told me I couldn't drink and drive anymore. So I moved within walking distance of my favorite bars.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

The whole goddamb city is gentrifying, not just east village. That's why there's 10,000 homeless lounging around in the alleys behind 7/11's and liquor stores, pissing, shitting, and puking all over the fucking place. Fucking assholes.

When I piss, shit, and puke all over the place it's cute. But not these other fucking bums.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Hugh wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:42 pm
The whole goddamb city is gentrifying, not just east village. That's why there's 10,000 homeless lounging around in the alleys behind 7/11's and liquor stores, pissing, shitting, and puking all over the fucking place. Fucking assholes.

When I piss, shit, and puke all over the place it's cute. But not these other fucking bums.
Cutie pie, your drunk shit is always welcomed
Drink!

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Merchant Seaman »

Hugh wrote:
They're almost all gone. Only a couple of them left. My favorite was Tobacco Rhoda's - now also gone. After 44 reviews on Yelp, it could only get up to 2 stars: https://www.yelp.com/biz/tobacco-rhodas ... =date_desc

It was my kind of bar - some of the reviewers actually mentioned me, I somewhat personified the fucking place. Here is a cut n paste of a typical review:
Trashy Rhoda's! Good riddance to this piece of shit. Every time I visit my fiancé, who lives within a 5 minute walk of this crack den, we have been forced to walk in front of it, whether going to or coming from one of the restaurants or bars in Hillcrest or on 30th and University. Be it late at night or in broad daylight, there are always unsavory characters in front of it. Without fail, there is vomit on the sidewalk, piss and shit outside the entrance, shards of broken glass in the doorway, and things that look suspiciously like needles littering the immediate area. Oh, don't forget the hordes of unwashed miscreants lingering in the doorway, either fighting with each other, passed out, stumbling drunk across University, or leering and catcalling at anyone with ovaries. Our nostrils were constantly assaulted with the stench of burning flesh, old cigarettes, cheap beer, and stale urine. I am certain that there are STIs that have not been discovered, lurking on the seats inside. No amount of bleach can help this sad, infected outhouse. One would need a hazmat suit to escape, if trapped inside. Bye, Rhoda's, you will not be missed!

That was me she was talking about, RE miscreants hanging out in the doorway.

Now I spend most of my time at Alibi or Merrow. Well, no, actually I spend most of my time in my little apartment, but when I go out, those are my two favorite bars. I would like to have my old bars where you could puke on the floor without being 86'd, but they're gone. These two are a decent substitute.
Sounds like a good joint, at least one I would hang out in

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

San Diego bars are CRAZY packed with everyone on unemployment. Two of the bars in my neighborhood, Number 1 Fifth, and The Loft, both have three bartenders during the day in addition to support staff. Pre-pandemic, one bartender could run either place easily.

Last night at Alibi it got crazy packed, but they only had one bartender on.

How is this going to play out? Eventually this "enhanced" unemployment will end, and then millions of people are going to be looking for thousands of jobs.

Even the 24 hour Jack in The Box can't get enough staff to stay open 24 hours anymore. I walked up to the window after last call and there was a sign saying they are only taking online delivery orders at this time.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Hugh wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:11 pm
San Diego bars are CRAZY packed with everyone on unemployment. Two of the bars in my neighborhood, Number 1 Fifth, and The Loft, both have three bartenders during the day in addition to support staff.
Wait a minute. I thought people in your neighborhood were too busy laying down on the pavement in various places, ya know, getting their sun bath on.
Okole maluna!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Not exactly a dive bar, but Dennis Rodman showed up at the bar on my block and started throwing money around today. Literally. https://www.facebook.com/dustin.doyle.9 ... 8954204442

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

It's been awhile, I mean back in 82-84ish, but The Star Bar, My Place, The London Tavern, Boll Weevils, Not a bar, but there was weird square downtown, dozens of peeler bars, those were the days.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Yes! Love Star Bar even though I've only been there once in the last couple of decades. The last time before that I was there, my friend got into a fight and I had to get them out of there. It went through a major remodel some years ago, that bathrooms are way in the back and are big enough for 100 or so people. Kind of weird.

Every time I say there are no more dives in San Diego, I forget about Star Bar. But even then, rich young people will pre-party there before going to the clubs.

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Hugh wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:47 pm
Yes! Love Star Bar even though I've only been there once in the last couple of decades. The last time before that I was there, my friend got into a fight and I had to get them out of there. It went through a major remodel some years ago, that bathrooms are way in the back and are big enough for 100 or so people. Kind of weird.

Every time I say there are no more dives in San Diego, I forget about Star Bar. But even then, rich young people will pre-party there before going to the clubs.
Ever been to the Trophy Lounge in National City?

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Merchant Seaman wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:52 pm
Hugh wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:47 pm

Ever been to the Trophy Lounge in National City?
I don't *think* I have, but I might have went there back in the 80's with some navy guys. Yelp says that it is closed now and it looks like someone has hacked their Facebook page.