Favorite Drinking Destination and Why?

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Saipan

Post by Merchant Seaman »

I once drank the entire island of Saipan out of Jim Beam, in two days, I was not on a bender, just hanging out, I took a few breaks to drink Night Train Express from the top shelf at the UFO bar, but that's a different story.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Favorite Drinking Destination and Why?

Post by oettinger »

Not yet, but it`s on my very short list
Drink!

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

mistah willies wrote:
Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:06 pm
I have burped with an Irishman and witnessed his broken tables and his tales and poems about his bicyclees

I have searched for an ABBA song for a Fin and heard him laugh while he waited for me to do this, then I accidentlly made him wait hours while I got stuck in a snowbank

I have smoked with a giant in his cemetery of candy, he is the Pall Mall Bearer

I have listened to an enlightened So-Cal digitalman tell everyone to shut up all the time and we did, to the wind whistling

I have smoked a cigarette through these damned wires that now drip with nicotine from a tall Germaniac punk rocker who listens to lemmy quite a bit

and I have found horror, sadness, fright, and hearty laughter from a fine Scot who never gives up

anything at all.

All due to this place.

I guess this is my own favorite Drinking Destination. But I have many.

Do you?

I just stumbled on a particularly poignant post from our dear departed friend and felt it was worth this bump.

Cheers!
DRINK!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

^ ^ ^ Nice find DB. Perfect for a 25th Anniversary submission for the magazine re: the board, don't you think?
Okole maluna!

Absinthe Of Malice
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Re: Saipan

Post by Absinthe Of Malice »

Merchant Seaman wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:45 pm
.. to drink Night Train Express from the top shelf at the UFO bar, but that's a different story.
I must go to a bar so crappy that Night Train is on the top shelf...
DRINK!
RIP Bill, aka mistah willies

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Saipan

Post by Merchant Seaman »

Absinthe Of Malice wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:38 am
Merchant Seaman wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:45 pm
.. to drink Night Train Express from the top shelf at the UFO bar, but that's a different story.
I must go to a bar so crappy that Night Train is on the top shelf...
Well the crappiness of the bar is up for debate.

You see the UFO bar was strange, first off it was out in the jungle, not near the strip, not that anything on Saipan can be said to be far away from anywhere else on the island, but the UFO bar was off by itself, then the road there wasn't paved, and no real parking lot, you just stop by an old Japanese pill box, and find a place to park, then you walk by a few old Japanese tanks, the remains of a downed USN plan and some cannons (all from WW2 of course), then you find a path, and walk through the jungle about 20 meters.

In a clearing of sorts, there sits the UFO bar (or sat, it's gone now, but that's another story), you came in to the clearing and there was a flying saucer, though it didn't fly until a major typhoon, but yes, the bar was shaped like a flying saucer, and you climbed a ladder to get in.

Once up and in, the actual bar was in the middle of the disk, and the rest of the space was mostly taken up with curved couches, with curved tables in front of them, and no dance floor.

there was a balcony that ran around the outside, as to why none of the many owners had thought to build stairs to the balcony is beyond me., there were were no screens,and no glass on the many windows, so the joint as always full of bugs (it was a jungle after all) the rest room was an outhouse, a little further down the path, also out in the jungle, not a portapoty but an actual outhouse.

This joint needed a clientele larger than the island could support, here are many bars on Saipan.

The place went through many owners, until it fell over, and then a year latter took flight in a typhoon

Bu the owners of the Night Train fame, were two Japanese guys, they had limited bar experience, and not a great knowledge of U.S. spirits, so they ordered liquor by price, and at some point in the islands history, someone had ordered Night Train and due to the economy of scale, it was expensive, so these two guys assumed that Night Train Express must be an expensive U.S. liqueur, no one ever told them (that I know of).

Often me and other crew members of the S.S. Jake would stop in for a late night aperitif of Night Train on our way to the launch.

TheDrunkardAnglo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by TheDrunkardAnglo »

Discovered a new bar that I wanted to talk about.

Cocktail Trading Company in Shoreditch, London.

Went there with Charlie, who many on Skype will know, and our friend Kat.

It's a Cooperative run cocktail bar where staff have a share in the business. I have to say the drinks were fucking marvelous. £10 any cocktail menu or imagination, which may seem expensive but for London is reasonable. I ordered Sazeracs and I tell you, what a fucking drink they produced.

The decor was also great old time vintage, leather seating.

The staff were both banterous and charming.
Major Strasser: What is your nationality?
Rick: I'm a drunkard.
Captain Renault: That makes Rick a citizen of the world.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Staff owned? Makes sense
Drink!

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

TheDrunkardAnglo wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:05 am
Discovered a new bar that I wanted to talk about.

Cocktail Trading Company in Shoreditch, London.

Went there with Charlie, who many on Skype will know, and our friend Kat.

It's a Cooperative run cocktail bar where staff have a share in the business. I have to say the drinks were fucking marvelous. £10 any cocktail menu or imagination, which may seem expensive but for London is reasonable. I ordered Sazeracs and I tell you, what a fucking drink they produced.

The decor was also great old time vintage, leather seating.

The staff were both banterous and charming.
completely lost me at £10 a cocktail. here in't norfff that's basically the average anual salary.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Sorry children, christmas and birthdays are off this year, daddy wants to drink a daquiri
Drink!

Backbone Robby Bobby
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Backbone Robby Bobby »

Actually, I can't remember any bad drinking destination... Wouldn't change a thing. Met great good people and great bartenders in every damn bar where I sat down.

Has anybody been at the Righteous bar or Euclid Avenue Yacht club in Atlantla, GA? St Marks in New York City? Tin Roof in Nashville, TN?