CLEVELAND!!!

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

massivedrunk

Post by massivedrunk »

[quote="SamHarmon" The ABC on W25th [/quote]

I worked an Alleycat race stop at that bar, and I totally agree. Tis a great joint.
Still just figuring it all out. Still not really figuring it out.

Libation
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Libation »

not that it is or ever will again be what it was, but if you want to get to the Flats, might want to do so in the near future. Looks like a massive redevelopment plan is in the works, with one guy assembling parcels and getting the city involved with eminent domain, so you know its going to end up with chain theme bars charging $4.59 for a Bud and having a neon slushy machine and probably putting a limit on the number of drinks you'll be permitted to consume within the district, under the observant eyes of rent-a-cops, after paying lord knows what to park in a numbered spot in a parking deck, or some such shit. Dives are certain to be banished, is our point.

Massivedrunk--you probably know of that separate project reported in yesterday's paper, the redevelopment of the old Greyhound station into a men's luxurious bathouse--we must say, it looks absolutely FABULOUS! Hope you enjoy it! :wink:
killed a twelve just to watch it die

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

Heading over to Fat Fish Blue this evening to listen to some blues and have some drinks. Very much looking forward to it. I'll report back on the rest of the trip when I return.

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

Well, I had one hell of good time in Cleveland last week. I made it to Fat Fish Blue on Wednesday and major Hooples on Thursday. Saw amazing musicians both nights. I also bent my elbow at the Great Lakes Brewery, Shooters, Scorchers (on 12th),the Hard Rock Cafe, Opa (where we had to bring our own hooch, but the food was well worth the trouble), some little place in Tremont that I can't remember and several hotel bars. I went in to the House of Blues, but didn't have a chance to get a drink as the people I was looking for had been kicked out for Indian Leg wrestling. I also got to have a beer at the Jake on dollar hotdog night.
Wanted to go to Moriarty's as it was just down the road from my hotel, and youi all had good things to say about it but didn't have time for that. All in all, I had a great time. Don't know that I'll ever be back to Cleveland, but if I am I know I won't lack for entertainment.

Libation
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Libation »

nice report bluto and glad you enjoyed it. There's truly a drink on nearly every corner. The movers and shakers are trying to lure the Republican Convention here in '08--fat chance, yeah--but we'd love to Bush-whack some elephant women in those canteens. Til;l then, dems si fine

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

Libation wrote:nice report bluto and glad you enjoyed it. There's truly a drink on nearly every corner. The movers and shakers are trying to lure the Republican Convention here in '08--fat chance, yeah--but we'd love to Bush-whack some elephant women in those canteens. Til;l then, dems si fine
The republican convention? Really? Hell, I'd almost make the trip to watch that all go down.

Libation
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Libation »

In the interest of full disclosure, we must report an allegation of which we were previously unaware, having just read it in The Free Times : according to that paper, the Ontario Lounge turns gay after dark on the weekends. Who knew? Certainly not us, who stand by our initial report of its being a cheap no-frills dive, a consummate Drunkard's Bar, during and after the workday.

While we're here, incidentally, we'll add two entries and a heads-up to the thread:

The Velvet Tango Room, up the hill from Hooples, is an elegant but not pretentious cocktail lounge eager to serve the concoctions of old, made in the authentic style and with the freshest of ingrediants. The purveyor will actually be pleased if you request a French 75 or a Sidecar. You cannot stump them.

From the sublime to the ridiculous, next go to Lido's Lounge on 117th. This is a strip club with the nastiest accoutrements, live and otherwise, imaginable. Full body prophylactics are recommended.

For the heads-up, or should we say heads-up-the-ass, the fine electorate of this State passed a smoking ban in November, to be effective in December. However, the Health Department has until June to put into place regulations to enforce the ban, and has agreed not to enforce it until such regulations are drafted. Hence, you may or may not smoke, may or may not find an ashtray, may or may not be fined, may or may not subject the bar to a fine, may or may not be arrested, may or may not report violations to a toll free number that may or may not be active and may or may not be required to be posted on every entrance to every business---oh for gods sake. We love ya Ohio, but you're an fecking idiot.

SamHarmon
Tippler
Tippler

Post by SamHarmon »

Libation, thanks for the heads up (no pun intended) on the Ontario Steet. I can cross that place off my list for late night drinks. Looks like Morts will get my late night business.

Wasn't the VTR the Four D's in a past life (like back in 80's)?
Scotch - Because one doesn't solve the world's problems over white wine. -- Anonymous

Libation
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Libation »

the paper a few days ago did a nice feature on the alley cat race, complete with mention by name of its organizer, MassiveDrunk. Toast to you, man.

Sam, don't avoid the Ontario just on that report, even if it's true. So long as you're not hostile, you don't have to be gay in gaybar. We've inadvertantly stumbled into some, and wouldn't choose to hang for long, but there can be some witty repartee. Anyhow, Thirst will always trump Habitues.

The Four D's, can't recall that name, though we been to that bar before it was VTR. Was a neighborhood dive, like so many throughout the town. Names not easy to recall anymore.

Except our first bar drink: at The Cobra Lounge on 105/Lorain. Thanks for not checking ids there Frank.

SamHarmon
Tippler
Tippler

Post by SamHarmon »

Libation, not that theres anything wrong with it, just not my cup of tea.

VTR was an old dive back in the day. There was also Felices Main Street on the corner of 25th and Lorain across from the West Side Market. It was the same with Felices, no ID, no problem. RIP Felices.
Scotch - Because one doesn't solve the world's problems over white wine. -- Anonymous

Libation
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Post by Libation »

welcome 2007 womens' Final Four!

"Accidentally" light a cig at Jake's: we'll buy you a drinkee-poo and "take it to the hole."

massivedrunk

Post by massivedrunk »

Libation wrote:welcome 2007 womens' Final Four!

"Accidentally" light a cig at Jake's: we'll buy you a drinkee-poo and "take it to the hole."
the NCAA final four insures a perfect blend of athletic basketball chicks, and aging lesbians

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

massivedrunk wrote:
Libation wrote:welcome 2007 womens' Final Four!

the NCAA final four insures a perfect blend of athletic basketball chicks, and aging lesbians
The only better mix could come from NCAA softball and a Zima convention.

TiGerStyle
Tippler
Tippler

Post by TiGerStyle »

Have any of you been to TOUCH Supper Club? It's on Lorain right next to Great Lakes Brewery. I love to hang there & the music is always great.

massivedrunk

Post by massivedrunk »

TiGerStyle wrote:Have any of you been to TOUCH Supper Club? It's on Lorain right next to Great Lakes Brewery. I love to hang there & the music is always great.
Been there. But Great Lakes owns my soul.

Moriartys is the spot downtown. Last of the old school joints IMHO. And you can see my old dispatcher there during the day, still working.