any bar you can smoke in

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

i'm in LA, but there's this completely useless cluster of small suburbs south of los angeles near the water that are collectively referred to as the south bay. this can be confusing because equally useless towns south of sf are called the south bay as well.
"Vodka is the Harry Potter of Booze, fun at first but ultimately unsatisfying and made for children." -The Lush

"If you can't trust the inner monkey, who can you trust?" -F. Sott Blitzedgerald

"this thread should be called WEAK drunk pics. more people should be bloody and passed out" -old crow

Da Raider
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Da Raider »

Every one of my dives has finally stopped allowing smoking (California). Of course, I'm also a member of a Cigar Bar, so you can get around the law since technically the place is not open to the general public. Full bar plus all the cigars you could ever want. The only other catch is they don't allow traditional cigarette smoking. Needs to be "naturals", whatever that means.
When they land we blow up the roof, they spend a month sifting through rubble, and by the time they work out what went wrong, we'll be sitting on a beach, earning twenty percent.

greatzot
Tippler
Tippler

Post by greatzot »

I was in Portland OR for the blues fest at the beginning of July. Wandered into Morton's Steakhouse and found out they had a cigar bar. Sat in there for the better part of 3 hours smoking cigars and drinking bourbon.
Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
--Albert Einstein

Bundy
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by Bundy »

they've banned smoking in bars here in singapore too, but as most places have outdoor areas, it not so bad.... except, outside, the establishment is only allowed 20% of its outdoor area for smoking. the rest is not.....

So they wind up painting lines on the floor.... outside the line, cannot smoke.... inside? puff away!!! its fun messing with the more anal staff members by stepping in and out of the area.... or standing outside the area with your lit smoke held within the area.....

few weeks ago i was in muddy murphys in singapore, wound up sat in the smoking area, and as the night wore on, more and more people came and joined us, all strangers driven together by nicotine and stupid rules.... the best part was looking inside and seeing all the tables and the bar practially empty, and a handful of lonely non smoker faces peering out at the smokers having a good time...... and of course, they couldnt really come over and sit with us without lighting up.... and the mood i was in i would have physically removed any non smokers from our little 20% of real estate.... "You wanted smoke free? cant have it both ways when it suits you dogfucker."

drunkpete77
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by drunkpete77 »

ya know, the part that bothers me, is the fact that it completely changes the atmosphere of certain places. I mean, you should be able to smoke in over populated and heavily polluted cities such as Chicago or Los Angeles. I've heard that it's banned in New York as well. What the hell is this world coming to????
up the muthafuckin' partydawgs!

H.P. Loveshaft
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by H.P. Loveshaft »

Things aren't looking too good here for smokers in Michigan. I'm going to be pissed if it passes, seeing as how I have five things in life that make me happy: drinking, smoking, reading, writing and occasionally fornicating. I can do 4/5 at the bar, 5/5 on a real good night.
Jesus! You think Eddie Money has to put up with this shit?!

H.P. Loveshaft
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by H.P. Loveshaft »

Not really bar related, but smoking related.

I was just standing outside of my store enjoying myself a Basic menthol light and some tool janders up to me from one of the establishments down the way and exclaims "You know, those will kill you." to which I replied without missing a beat "So will informing me about it".
Jesus! You think Eddie Money has to put up with this shit?!

Bluespook
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Bluespook »

Illinois just passed a smoking ban. Goes into effect on jan 2. At least they gave us new years eve, how generous. What pisses me off the most is that they are telling me how to run my business and what my customers want. They know better than I what my people want. If there was such a demand for non smoking bars and restuarants, people would open them. It all comes down to control. Today it's smoking and trans fats, tomorow they will be telling you only to serve light salad dressings. Where does it all end?
Beer's just being social. Whiskey's drinkin'.

fizzmaster
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by fizzmaster »

They banned smoking here in Louisville, July 1st. I don't really mind it, because I was sick of coming home reeking like cigs, but I can see how it pisses people off. I'm of more Libertarian stock when it comes to public policy, so I think it should be the bar-owner's choice. Its THEIR fucking business, after all, not the city's. There are some dives where you can still smoke inside, mainly because the owners are drunks themselves who don't give a fuck. I actually smoked a bunch of butts in a bar a couple weeks ago, because the illegalness of it made it sort of fun.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. "
-Hunter S. Thompson

http://fermentedfilm.blogspot.com/
http://indiewrasslin.tumblr.com/

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Something else for the gov't to control...
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

Slim
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Slim »

Here in California I believe you can smoke in the bar so long as the place is run solely by the owners of the bar (i.e. no hired help, everyone is a partner in the place) Living in the South Bay however I can tell you some times the people just get their way and do what they want- damn the man.

nelto
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by nelto »

Over here the main reason they brought in the no-smoking inside at-all was because some stupid bartenders getting lung cancer from second hand smoking were suing the owners.

happydrunk
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by happydrunk »

nelto wrote:Over here the main reason they brought in the no-smoking inside at-all was because some stupid bartenders getting lung cancer from second hand smoking were suing the owners.
really, how rude. how dare they get upset about getting lung cancer by serving drinks to smokers in an enclosed area. how dare they!?
I'm not so think as you drunk I am.

Hell is no bourbon - Ms. Savage

Because that's how you win. Gunpowder and rum.,

BeerMakesMeSmart
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by BeerMakesMeSmart »

happydrunk wrote:
nelto wrote:Over here the main reason they brought in the no-smoking inside at-all was because some stupid bartenders getting lung cancer from second hand smoking were suing the owners.
really, how rude. how dare they get upset about getting lung cancer by serving drinks to smokers in an enclosed area. how dare they!?
Nobody forced them to work in a bar.
I'll miss you, pallie.

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Re: any bar you can smoke in

Post by Resident Asshole »

It's called at-will employment. Or non-at-will employment.

Either way, if the employees feel they are in danger they should quit, not go crying to the government. Smoking bans suck.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619