philadelphia bars

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

philadelphia bars

Post by coqui_chris »

anyone else have a favorite phildelphia bar?

I'd have to say Chris's Jazz Club. I was also pretty fond of South Street Blues before it got shut down
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Cheese
Souse
Souse

Post by Cheese »

I lived in Philly in 96 and I loved Sugar Moms, I went there a few months ago and it sucked arse. It smelled like they haden't cleaned it since I had left. Ahh too bad.

phillyproudCO
Tippler
Tippler

Post by phillyproudCO »

McLinchey's
Dirty Franks
Manny Browns
Khyber Pass
that little whole in the wall bar in the Gallery by Market St. Station
Olde City Tavern
Silk City
Tavern On Green
Name That Bar
Sugar Mom's

Haven't been back a lot in the past 6 year so some of these may have closed up shop. Born and raised in Philly and lived in Center City for about 5 yrs.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

I actually went to my all-time favorite bar, Lamar's Inn at 1th and Cecil B Moore Avenue in North Philadelphia, about 2 blocks from Temple University. My favorite bar in the whole city

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

bella
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by bella »

only bars i was ever in in Philly was Club Egypt and The Basement..
me loves the voddie

Circling over Shannon
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Location: Sorry to inform you that party headquaters has closed its doors in Philly and has moved to Baltimore

Post by Circling over Shannon »

Warm Daddy's!

Chelsea40oz
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Chelsea40oz »

Funny how this thread floated up here. I had Ethiopian food today and was reminiscing about an Ethiopian bar and restaurant I went to in Philly (too bad I forget the name.) Also, across from the punk venue Stalag 13, there was a little dive bar where they sold 40s. This nice elderly black couple ran it, they were really cool and took a shine to me for some reason. Maybe it was the tattoo.

You're out of your league, go back to your own village!

Sully73
Souse
Souse

Post by Sully73 »

There was this Irish Bar in Center City that two of my old co-workers took me, I can't remember the name of it, and there was this really cool bar/cafe right next to the Palestra..Really neat.
What Whiskey and Butter cannot cure,
there is no cure for.

fdoosey

Post by fdoosey »

[quote="Sully73"]There was this Irish Bar in Center City that two of my old co-workers took me, I can't remember the name of it...quote]

Musta been a good place if you forgot the name, Sully! Bravo, old man.
http://www.sammichmen.com

methfront: the man who wanted to steal a shopping cart of bowling balls and drop them from the back of a car down route 36 doesn't want to sow bitterness
fdoosey: No, he just wanted to have fun with a shopping cart of bowling balls.

Sully73
Souse
Souse

Post by Sully73 »

I honestly think it was called the Irish Bar...Oh, I forgot to mention another pretty cool Bewpub, if you ever go to Manyunk, theres the Manyunk Brewpub. That a cool little town right outside Philly.

BTW-My new neighbor just moved in a couple days ago, he is a teacher, but his Aunt and Uncle Own the Yards Brewing Company and Brewpub in Philly, and when he isn't working as a teacher, he is there. I can supposedly get all the free samples and be a taste tester for new batches. I just have to write a review.

Whooooooo hoooooo!
What Whiskey and Butter cannot cure,
there is no cure for.

fdoosey

Post by fdoosey »

Lucky bastard.
http://www.sammichmen.com

methfront: the man who wanted to steal a shopping cart of bowling balls and drop them from the back of a car down route 36 doesn't want to sow bitterness
fdoosey: No, he just wanted to have fun with a shopping cart of bowling balls.

69wishes
Tippler
Tippler

Post by 69wishes »

Sully73 wrote:There was this Irish Bar in Center City that two of my old co-workers took me, I can't remember the name of it, and there was this really cool bar/cafe right next to the Palestra..Really neat.
New Deck Tavern perhaps? With the White Dog Cafe next to it? Those are the only bars by the Palestra. Further west are the majority of the Penn bars.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re:

Post by coqui_chris »

bella wrote:only bars i was ever in in Philly was Club Egypt and The Basement..
Club Egypt's got a new name now. Among other things, the original club was shut down for liquor license violations and violent incidents, including when ex-Temple basketball player Michael Blackshear was shot and killed by people he had gotten into an altercation with earlier.

Anyways, a new club opened up at the same spot, and this past Friday Beanie Sigel held a birthday party/show there.

And there was a fight and a shooting.

strugglebunny
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Re: philadelphia bars

Post by strugglebunny »

I haven't been too overwhelmingly impressed by any Philly bar I've been in so far.
Lager makes me happy. Vodka makes me mean. I'm a heavy metal, drinking, driving, alcohol machine. --"Drink Till I Die" Bad News

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: philadelphia bars

Post by peetie44 »

I used to love playing (and drinking at) the Chestnut St. Cabaret...is it still there?

There was a grizzled, old washroom attendant working there who really took care of the blues bands when they came through. He could get you anything you needed/wanted.

Last time I was there was @ 1995, with Kim Wison's Blues Revue.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be