Not planning a trip...

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

mjm
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Not planning a trip...

Post by mjm »

...but I really want to drink here.
"It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason." -- Latin Proverb

Martini Time
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Not planning a trip...

Post by Martini Time »

mjm wrote:...but I really want to drink here.
Oh, but you should, MJM!! Bourbon & Branch is an absolutely fabulous place to enjoy a cocktail or two. I unfortunately won't be spending my New Year's Eve festivities there, but I will be back to visit sometime very soon.

Though San Francisco has been enjoying a "cocktail renaissance" for over 20 years now, there are new establishments that keep "raising the bar" (no pun intended). I love a dive as much as the next MDM fan, but at this destination, it's not so much a drink that one receives, but more of a "gift". The use of diverse California ingredients combined with spirits from local craft distillers only makes the "drink locally" concept that much more of a reality. As a gentleman who spends a great deal of time behind the bar, MJM, you'd appreciate the ingenuity and creativity of the local stock here. In fact, in this past weekend's New York Times, and article in the travel section highlighted the "cocktail culture" here in SF (don't call it "Frisco").

Though the "neo-speakeasy" concept isn't new ("Milk & Honey" in London and New York did it back in 2000... but they do require a monetary membership), "Bourbon & Branch", which has been around nearly 2 years, isn't the least bit elitist. They just make sure that you go through just a little extra effort getting into the place so as enjoy and appreciate the hard work that they put into both the creations, and the environment.

If you ever do get out this way, we should certainly get a "password" to visit this fine (and other) establishments.
"Martinis are a balm against a sordid world, a shield against all that is sullied, rushed and coarse"