Witnessing a good bar going downhill

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Witnessing a good bar going downhill

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

I guess we've all seen it at some point.

Skipped away from work to a nearby Irish bar for a pint earlier today, for what must've been the first time since the turn of the year. Used to do it all the time, but the money's just not been there recently.

Anyway, I returned today, only to find that the boss hasn't been back since Christmas (no one seemed forthcoming with an explanation) and all the old drunks had been replaced by young, disinterested people, who all seemed to drink through a straw. Although the bar was still the same on the outside, it didn't seem the same place i'd tumbled out of so many times.

On the plus side, a good pint of Guinness is still to be had in the place, and football is still shown, but it now seems too much like any other bar in the area.

Negromancer
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Re: Witnessing a good bar going downhill

Post by Negromancer »

In my hometown there's a place that used to be great, played good rock 'n roll music, had some great shows etc. Then they built a wall through the middle of it and made it a club for all the underaged girls and desperate retards. Now the once thriving pub gets more metrosexual by the minute...
"The best drink of the day, was the drink he had in his head before the first drink of the day."

fizzmaster
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by fizzmaster »

I've seen alot of great bars turn merely okay and alot of okay bars turn shitty. It seems like an inevitable cycle, like gentrification. My favorite bar in America, the Asti in Santa Cruz, just let my favorite bartender, Danny, go. This will inevitably take the place down a few notches. Danny was amazing. Maybe the recession will set things right and we'll see a resurgence in good, gritty bars.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. "
-Hunter S. Thompson

http://fermentedfilm.blogspot.com/
http://indiewrasslin.tumblr.com/

old crow
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by old crow »

better than my favorite bar BURNING down

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

fizzmaster wrote:I've seen alot of great bars turn merely okay and alot of okay bars turn shitty. It seems like an inevitable cycle, like gentrification. My favorite bar in America, the Asti in Santa Cruz, just let my favorite bartender, Danny, go. This will inevitably take the place down a few notches. Danny was amazing. Maybe the recession will set things right and we'll see a resurgence in good, gritty bars.
Here's hoping. I'm sick of bars getting whitewashed and gentrified.
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

fizzmaster wrote:I've seen alot of great bars turn merely okay and alot of okay bars turn shitty. It seems like an inevitable cycle, like gentrification. My favorite bar in America, the Asti in Santa Cruz, just let my favorite bartender, Danny, go. This will inevitably take the place down a few notches. Danny was amazing. Maybe the recession will set things right and we'll see a resurgence in good, gritty bars.
you read my mind. i live in a town that used to have tons of great dive bars, but has had a lot of tourist money come in in the last 10 years or so. so you know, we've got a hotel where there used to be a place you'd get a buzz and an s.t.d. just from walking into, a the best british pub is now a tourist trap, the place you'd go deaf while hoping the bartender picked you for her after-work mint is some sort of french market. i was wondering if the economic downturn would see it swing back towards the old days.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

The bar where I work let go the best manager I've known. He had lots of beer, liquor, wine and food knowledge.

In his place that made the fucking chef the manager of the whole place. He doesn't know jack about booze. He is selling off all of our good booze at crazy prices because he doesn't know what it is.

Great in the short term for the customers, horrible for the bar in the long run.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

R.A., that is a major bummer. bad enough to see somewhere you enjoy drinking at go downhill; worse to work there. are you tight enough with the owners you could say something? got another job lined up?

seen it happen twice at the two best bars i've ever worked at. first time, new owners came in and treated it like their private clubhouse. second time, the owners switched from benign neglect to bumbling interest.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Resident Asshole

The owners don't give a fuck as long as they have Bud Light bottles and shitty tequila. I already went in on my own time and me and my buddy made up a beer list of things we should keep ordering (about 70 micro bottles) and I also tried to make a wine list. They just fucking ignore what I do. No one else gives a shit about proper service, carrying a good selection or having knowledge of the products.

And yeah, that job is just my weekend job anyway (which is why they don't listen to me, because they figure since I'm a part-timer that I don't know the biz or the customer base, even though I have the most seniority of anyone there), but once baseball season starts I'll be bartending the clubhouse at our local minor league baseball stadium.

And yeah, it's absolutely amazing to me, you said bumbling interest and I totally agree, these fucks complain to high heaven about their dwindling profit margins, but when I try to tell them why business is going south they don't seem to care.
Bourbon is my blood.

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Negromancer
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Negromancer »

There used to be another kick ass rock pub in my hometown. It was packed full every day of the weekend and had a steady stream of customers on weekdays. In that town there is this one company that owns and runs almost every single club or bar in the town, and one day they found out they didn't like the concept. They changed the name, kicked out all the former staff and reopened as some shitty RnB club with some LP-scratching retard in the corner. It was ridicilous, I've never seen somebody kill a business so fast in my entire life.
"The best drink of the day, was the drink he had in his head before the first drink of the day."

Glasgae Sam
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Glasgae Sam »

My local is run by an old guy and his two sons (twins). I'm good friends with one of the brothers, and one of the proudest moments of my drinking life was when he introduced me to someone as "a regular at the bar". It's a great place - just the right size, decent selection of drinks, staff who actually care about their job (they should, they own the place!) and great music at the weekends. It's not big on food, but they'll happily knock you up some nachos if you ask nicely. It was my favourite bar long before I moved into the city, and the fact that it's about 3 blocks from my current apartment played no small part in choosing said apartment.

About a month ago I was in for a usual post-work pint, and my friend behind the bar poured me a freebie (he insists on doing this from time to time due to the $100 tip I dropped him at Christmas - just slipped it under an empty glass on my way out, but out of principle he keeps trying to 'make it up to me'). Then he said something horrible. "Dude, I'm thinking about selling up. In a year maybe". I can't imagine my routine without this place... and it wouldn't be the same without that family running it. Even the grumpy-as-hell father is necessary to the character. I'd probably stop going. The heart breaking thing is they're starting to make changes to make the bar more 'sale-friendly'. Swapped most of the beers for more generic brands, stopped doing the brilliant promos, show a lot more of the football (this is actually a bad thing, bars which you can escape the football in are very, very rare in Glasgow) etc. I'm watching it slowly lose all of it's charm and appeal, and become just another bar. The other regulars see it happening too, but there's nothing we can do. The money is gone, and the family want out of the business (this is their 3rd bar I believe). If I had the money I'd buy the place myself, and change nothing.

I keep playing those lottery numbers, just in case..
Let us have wine and women, mirth and laughter,
Sermons and soda water the day after.

www.drunchblog.com <- it's full of pictures of epic breakfasts made by me and my friends. That's about it.

Jelmo
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Jelmo »

It really sucks when places where you feel at home close down/go downhill/change to sucky owners.
My local bar will be closing in September for about 2 years due to construction work the city has planned there. When me and my mates heard it from the owner we were like 'then where do we go?' And she replied with a 'if I'd have a penny for every time somebody asked me'.
"Don't give a damn how this turns out
Drain bottles just to scream and shout
On the run from reality
Poison helps me and go flee"

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Glasgow Sam wrote:The heart breaking thing is they're starting to make changes to make the bar more 'sale-friendly'. Swapped most of the beers for more generic brands, stopped doing the brilliant promos, show a lot more of the football (this is actually a bad thing, bars which you can escape the football in are very, very rare in Glasgow)
As a Glaswegian myself, I know exactly what you mean.

Love the football myself, but it's getting harder and harder to find a bar where you can go in and enjoy a quiet pint.

Resident Asshole

Hey guys from Scotland my girl and I are flying in to Edinburgh either April 5th or 6th. Wanna meet up somewhere? I think that my girl and I are only there for about 24 hours. Obviously we want to hit up a couple pubs, but also see some sights, possibly a distillery tour if there is something closeby.

Also, we are trying to do the couchsurfing thing, during our stay in Europe. I dunno if you have any interest in hosting a couple of Americans for a night, but either way if you want to meet up please let me know. I will PM this to you two as well.
Bourbon is my blood.