dan kelly's bar - where drunkards go to die of loneliness

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

dan kelly's bar - where drunkards go to die of loneliness

Post by MeanOldLady »

dan kelly's isn't my favorite bar in minneapolis; a different bar located a block and a half away is. it's my favorite bar for the same reason many of us choose our favorites. convenient location, good regulars, the bartenders have come to tolerate and in many cases even like us. but sometimes you wanna go where nobody knows your name. you want to go to the dark room that is aggressively unpopular in spite of its ultra convenient, central downtown location. you want to go where whether or not the dishes have been cleaned -ever- is irrelevant.

you want to go to dan kelly's. sometimes it's friday after work, and you don't feel like going home yet, but you don't want to chit chat with anyone. you want to sit down, alone, and drink beefeater until you can finally muster up the courage to walk the seven (or however many) blocks home. it's dark, the bathrooms are terrifying, not a lot of downtown suits drink there, and i don't think i've ever seen one crying-sorority-slut/spiky-haired-frat-douche inside of that place even once.

shit, i'm making myself thirsty.
"Vodka is the Harry Potter of Booze, fun at first but ultimately unsatisfying and made for children." -The Lush

"If you can't trust the inner monkey, who can you trust?" -F. Sott Blitzedgerald

"this thread should be called WEAK drunk pics. more people should be bloody and passed out" -old crow

old crow
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Re: dan kelly's bar - where drunkards go to die of loneliness

Post by old crow »

MeanOldLady wrote:beefeater.
that is why my head feels like it is made of delicate glass right now and if i bump it into something it will shatter into a million pieces

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

tis the reason i get up in the mornings. among others - namely, bourbon and rum.
"Vodka is the Harry Potter of Booze, fun at first but ultimately unsatisfying and made for children." -The Lush

"If you can't trust the inner monkey, who can you trust?" -F. Sott Blitzedgerald

"this thread should be called WEAK drunk pics. more people should be bloody and passed out" -old crow

fizzmaster
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by fizzmaster »

A nice, poetic account of your regular and why you go there. I don't really have a regular in Boston. I just drink at home. Lot of good bars here, however.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. "
-Hunter S. Thompson

http://fermentedfilm.blogspot.com/
http://indiewrasslin.tumblr.com/

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

plus it seems like the kind of place a grown up can drink on saint patrick's day. i'm almost tempted.

Dr. Dotto S. Blotto
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Dr. Dotto S. Blotto »

i relish in the bar where you can go and hide and drink in peace without a bunch of loudass motherfuckers getting between me and my Zen.
Slave to the Id since 1968.
Less Talk, More Monkey

"DRIVE, MONKEY! DRIVE!" - Dante

Blackneto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Blackneto »

post of the year MOL
it's all chaff, a striving after the wind.

fizzmaster
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by fizzmaster »

There were a couple of great bars in Santa Cruz that I frequented when I lived there. The Poet and The Patriot was an excellent Irish bar, nice and quiet during the day and early evening, raucous and wild at night. Same goes for my favorite bar in America, The Asti, which was dark and quiet in the afternoons and evenings and at night on most weeknights. Weekends college douchebags would take over, and I hated the place. But on those weeknights and early evenings and afternoons, I would sit and listen to great jukebox music and drink Early Times and PBR. Every other round would be on the house.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. "
-Hunter S. Thompson

http://fermentedfilm.blogspot.com/
http://indiewrasslin.tumblr.com/

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

this thread has been blackneto approved, which is good enough for me. even better, fizzmaster, is your post makes me feel wistful. i should sneak out of this place and have a quiet drink alone.

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

When I travel around playing music and have a night off, I love to search out the hideaway kind of bar. Maybe a few other drinkers, myself and the bartender. I found such a place in Kokkola, Finland and it was named simply, "English Pub". The bartender was in his 20's and was from upstate NY!?! Before leaving, he gave me a copy of his original 4-song CD of lonely, suicidal, singer-songwriter music. Quite apropos it was.

Really, the ultimate is finding the kind of tucked-away bar that has a lot of people in it but is still rather quiet; everyone into their own and the booze speaking to all.
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

MeanOldLady
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by MeanOldLady »

that reminds me, i need to get drunk more often in foreign countries. mexico, canadia, or any place where you speak the language doesn't count. unless you're a badass and speak six languages.

dan kelly's isn't the quintessential tucked away bar, but it's pretty lonely for downtown. i went in last week, and most of the stools were taken, which i found to be fairly annoying. what are people doing in this bar?