Dirty Frank's, Philly, PA

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

jtgw
Souse
Souse

Dirty Frank's, Philly, PA

Post by jtgw »

My local dive. Love it so much.

Tmurtaugh
Tippler
Tippler

Re: Dirty Frank's, Philly, PA

Post by Tmurtaugh »

This is one of the few spots in Center City I have yet to visit, but I plan on going there soon. For years I thought this was a gay bar because it is right in the middle of the gayborhood, but it's not. (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)

willerror
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by willerror »

Damn, I haven't been in Dirty Frank's since about '92 (!) but it was the first real bar I loved in Philly. Had some great nights there as a youth. Glad to hear it's still loved. As I recall, it had no sign of its existence save for a "No one under 21 admitted" on the door. Is that still so?

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

Most people are either a Dirty Frank's guy ... or a McGlinchey's guy ... or an Oskar's guy ... Thank God for true dives staying open in Center City!
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

endlessbinge
Tippler
Tippler

Post by endlessbinge »

Didn't they shut down this bar because it was "DIRTY". People were getting all kind of mouth fungus from the un cleaned beer lines.

coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by coqui_chris »

endlessbinge wrote:Didn't they shut down this bar because it was "DIRTY". People were getting all kind of mouth fungus from the un cleaned beer lines.
Not that I know of.

But if you're ordering a draft beer in a dive bar, you get what you fucking get
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk

dirkmanchest
Tippler
Tippler

Post by dirkmanchest »

Is this the same Dirty Frank's Bar that Paul F Tompkins refers to on his stand comedy piece from years ago??

He talked about wiping the table down with a bar rag a squeezing the liquid into a shot glass and they dared each other to drink the foul liquid.
He had some pretty good observations on the undrunk world v the drunk world.