Delaney's

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Delaney's

Post by Smatter Noguts »

65 varieties of single malt.

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: Delaney's

Post by Smatter Noguts »

Great cheap burgers, too, and in Fountain, Michigan, baically the middle of nowhere.

The scotch comes in a tumbler, $5 per two finger shot

Bur
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Bur »

are burger kinda things common in bars out there?

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by steved2112 »

Something about the name just seems sinister to me.
I feel like I;' Typing down hill.
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Sinister is my favorite place to visit. Delaney's must be fun as well.

Bur wrote:are burger kinda things common in bars out there?
Bar burgers, when done correctly, will be the best thing you have ever tasted.
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

tdcwillies wrote:Bar burgers, when done correctly, will be the best thing you have ever tasted.
True dat. For some reason it's something that nowhere (that I've found) in the UK manages to get right.

The last time I was States-side, first thing I did, after clearing immigration, was hit some dive bar, just outside of Atlanta (big shout-out to Rowdy and Shmoo for that) and got one of the best godsdamned burgers that I have ever had (and I don't even like food) with an excellently and elegantly mixed superdry martini. And this is possible in just about every US bar. Try the same order in the UK and, at best, you'll get a blank stare (at worst, you'll get a glass of vermouth and some kind of disappointment in a soggy bun).
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

^ ^ ^

We have our own version of fish and chips in bars that have Irish names and proclaim to be authentic. Haddock is my personal favorite white fish, and then Halibut, Cod, and Flounder. Served with malted vinegar, or course, and lovely Guinness.

However, the only one in my close family who has been lucky enough to travel to the Isles of North Atlantica is my daughter.

Can you tell me what white fish is served in the fish and chips of pub fare in your own experience(s)?

How is it?
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

tdcwillies wrote:...Can you tell me what white fish is served in the fish and chips of pub fare in your own experience(s)?

How is it?
Fish and chips served in a pub is generally awful* (the pubs here rarely invest in the proper cooking equipment). However, this is rarely a problem as most pubs have a dedicated Fish and Chip shop, if not next door, then certainly within easy staggering distance.

In the UK there is a huge North/South divide when it comes to the actual fish used (although one can usually specify which fish one wishes to have; plaice, haddock, cod even rock salmon). If one just asks for "fish and chips", in the south one will get cod and in the north it will be haddock (although some, less scrupulous, vendors have started serving pollock).

* I don't want to give the impression that all pub grub, in the UK, is awful; there are many fine gastro-pubs that serve top quality nosh. However, the tradition of serving food in our watering-holes is a relatively new phenomenon and so many pub menus are as disappointing as the microwaved food that is served. On the whole, the pubs that serve good food will be rather upmarket, which will be reflected in the drink prices.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I have always agreed with Kingsley Amis: a pub should not serve hot food. Anything more than rolls at lunchtime or some nuts and crisps (potato chips) and it becomes a restaurant with a bar. If a pub does choose to serve food I think they should have either a separate bar with no food, or serve the food in a separate room with table service. Saying that I do quite enjoy chips (french fries) at times when I'm drinking, though they do make the rest of the place smell
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Palinka wrote: I don't want to give the impression that all pub grub, in the UK, is awful; there are many fine gastro-pubs that serve top quality nosh. However, the tradition of serving food in our watering-holes is a relatively new phenomenon and so many pub menus are as disappointing as the microwaved food that is served. On the whole, the pubs that serve good food will be rather upmarket, which will be reflected in the drink prices.
Thank you Sir Palinka for your enjoyable descriptions of the state of pub fare in your land. As you have stated, some places serve pollack under the guise of better fish, and that is a scourge brought upon the world by the distributors. http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1015404

As a lover of salty fish, I will have to clean my palate before I clean my plate, with drink. I need to keep an eye out for that lower quality fish. One must not judge by tongue alone...

Mr. Viking wrote:I have always agreed with Kingsley Amis: a pub should not serve hot food... They do make the rest of the place smell

Very, very cognizant, and good input from you, Mr. Viking. I've always attempted to keep my clothing free of the odd, oily scents and odors from various places I frequent, and such a practise of non-fried food in a pub makes perfect sense.

Now, I do not ascribe to filling up one's belly with food before a night of expensive drinking. I can eat at home afterwards. Eating before drinking defeats the purpose of crafting a good buzz, and one will encounter the chunks at the top of the gullet with each burp.

Food should be eaten two hours before the binge of booze, or immediately upon arriving home/ in a neighbor's home/ in a stranger's home. Just turn off the flame under the hot oil in the frying pan on the stovetop afterwards. It's good manners not to burn the place down.

At what time of day do any of you other fellow Drunkards partake of food?

steved2112
Ripped Like Reed
Ripped Like Reed

Post by steved2112 »

I beg to differ. Proximity to downtown Philadelphia has left me spoilt, since we enjoy so many good bars with such tremendous food. Many of them serve brunch, and take their particular rendition of the bloody mary quite seriously.
I feel like I;' Typing down hill.
-F. Sott Blitzedgerald