Places to Avoid

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Palinka (RIP)

Places to Avoid

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

List the shit-houses here, to help your fellow drunkards from stepping in something nasty.

Here is one to give a miss, Mahiki in London (UK); racist, over-priced shit-house. Avoid.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Re: Places to Avoid

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

I tend to avoid places I know I won't like, such as the super-expensive "club" places where 19-year-olds go to take fruity vodka shots and give each other STDs.

There's a place here in Tampa, specifically the Ybor City bar district, which opened about a year ago. It's called The Bad Monkey. There's nothing really wrong with it, but every time I go there I am filled with the urge to leave. I think it's because the place has zero personality and that area of town is known for having a personality.

I've chatted with the owner and he always gushes how my wife and I are the exact kind of people he wants to cater to. Now, we have no illusions: we know we are white yuppies. However, we usually don't like to drink with other white yuppies, especially ones we don't know personally. And that part of town has a rough charm to it, so why would we go to that area and then spend time in a "yuppie safe zone?"

Maybe I'm too hard on it.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

The Cockney Pride pub, London (UK). Overpriced, whore-filled, liquor-watering, shit-spot tourist-trap. Avoid as you would a rabid cur, TJD or a non-alcoholic beverage.
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Absinthe
Souse
Souse

Post by Absinthe »

William Barnacle Tavern in St. Mark's in Manhattan. It's a former speakeasy. A pretty quiet, dark place. They claim to serve absinthe "the traditional way" when they do it just the opposite (lighting the sugar cube on fire instead of using a cold water drip), and on several occasions I've had the waitresses there debate me over it and get snippy and rude and whatnot. Plus I got a piece of cork in my $20 absinthe and the waitress spent forever trying to fish it out for me. She had to have a regular go behind the counter and get it out with a spoon. Yeah, their fairly good absinthe is $20 a glass, and that's not even top shelf. They use St. George Verte, which is ~$60 a bottle, and they serve you a shot diluted with water (intentionally, as it's meant to be served), and charge you $20. How many shots do you think there are in a liter of liquid, hmm? Ridiculous.

Rainbow Cactus in Virginia Beach has a selection of, like, four or five beers, and the bartender there had to look up how to make an Old Fashioned and made it with a Sweet n' Low packet.
"Bacchus opens the gate of the heart."
— Homer

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

anyplace that serves cocktails in plastic cups.
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

I wish i could find me a woman who drinks!~ruiner..on lack of women drinkers.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

l... wrote:anyplace that serves cocktails in plastic cups.
True. Care to name names?
ドロンケン
ImageImage

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

Palinka wrote:
l... wrote:anyplace that serves cocktails in plastic cups.
True. Care to name names?

ACTUALLY, I can name a few that i'm sure you have been to. Choppers would be one. (although I believe they have changed the name to Chopps now. not sure if it's the same owners)
That's what I call Drunkard justice. I hate prisses like that. They're mincing their way through life when they should be marching. ~fkr.

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

l... wrote:...I can name a few that i'm sure you have been to. Choppers would be one...
I seem to remember that the Choppers that you are referring to, was always nice enough to serve us with glassware.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

I don't know. I even remember Oggar drinking out of plastic.

EuroSlave
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Went to a resturant/bar the other night

Post by EuroSlave »

The ~Groove~ Train

Little book on the table that had a list of cocktails in it.

Open it to find all these crazy fruit cocktails - ok cool but I just want something classic. Friends order some cocktails from that list, I ask for a martini. 'Sorry sir I don't know how to make that'

you fuckin' what mate

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Re: Went to a resturant/bar the other night

Post by Mr Boozificator »

EuroSlave wrote:The ~Groove~ Train

Little book on the table that had a list of cocktails in it.

Open it to find all these crazy fruit cocktails - ok cool but I just want something classic. Friends order some cocktails from that list, I ask for a martini. 'Sorry sir I don't know how to make that'

you fuckin' what mate
Where was that? It's time to intervene.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

EuroSlave
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by EuroSlave »

Some chain of bar/restaurants in Melbourne at least.

First time i've ever been - funny considering there is one right across the road from me.

l...
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by l... »

wtf?

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

EuroSlave wrote:Some chain of bar/restaurants in Melbourne at least.

First time i've ever been - funny considering there is one right across the road from me.
I've never been to that part of the World. Hopefully one day...
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Now that I think about it, huge island that looks like a continent, giant rats hopping around, lager beer being brewed by the offspring of Irish convicts, snakes that kill you with one bite and spiders that eat those snakes, well, it sounds like heaven. On my way, I just hope they correct wines there.