Gumbo, Glasgow

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Gumbo, Glasgow

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

For months, I've walked past this place and never cared to go inside. It used to be called Common Room and was nothing special. Last night, a friend and I sought a place to escape the football. What we found was pretty spectacular.

Better yet, the bar staff really knew their stuff. The cocktails seem to be inspired by the Southern states of the USA (I guess it's in the name of the place as well) but I spoke to them about their beers, bourbons and even gin, and was pleasantly surprised at getting so much detail in response.

My night consisted mainly of George Dickel and Wild Turkey Rye. The latter wasn't cheap, but it was nice just to be able to try it. Also a couple of beers from Flying Dog. Very nice.

Hardly a hidden gem, being on a busy street, but an impressive place. Given my schedule for the coming year, I can see myself visiting frequently...

Palinka (RIP)

Re: Gumbo, Glasgow

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Glasgow goes Tiki; now there's a documentary waiting to happen.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

You know, it's funny. Glasgow has one Tiki bar and I haven't drank in it. I was in it once, but it was packed and due to the the cocktail making process, I'd have been waiting around 30 minutes for a drink.

This place definitely takes influence from the Cajuns. I guess the interior isn't far removed from what you'd find in a Tiki bar. Can't claim to know a lot about Cajun and Polynesian cultures, but I think I'll have to look into them...

Definite potential in the bar. It's five minutes from the university, too. Can foresee Mr Viking enjoying the place...

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Shane-O-Matic wrote: This place definitely takes influence from the Cajuns. I guess the interior isn't far removed from what you'd find in a Tiki bar. Can't claim to know a lot about Cajun and Polynesian cultures, but I think I'll have to look into them...

If there's one mixed drink that makes me want to sip it with an umbrella, it's the Pina Colada. Very fucking tasty, but also very fattening, ya know.

As far as them Cajuns, well, they originated form up heah in Maine.

Them Cannucks (pronounced Knuks) migrated down into Maine's southern coast, in Acadia. They were Acadiens. They called themselves "Cadiens."

When they got routed out of Maine after all the wars, they went to Louisiana. They kept on calling themselves 'Cadien or Cajun, if Mr Boozificator would help us to pronounce "Cadien."

They were mixed with us up here, us Injuns.

God love em. They are Mainers after all.

And Injun. They welcoem back here

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

Nice post, tdc!

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

Closely related are the Creoles, of which I am part. They share a lot in common with Cajuns along with african and french ancestry.

Sounds like a great place and quite a gem to find in Scotland.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Gentlemen, if we go back far enough, we are all related.

We are related by the Ethyl Tribe.

Good enough for the likes of me.

Cheers young livers

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Fuckers were shut. Fucking Scottish licensing laws and lack of lock ins
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Smatter Noguts
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Smatter Noguts »

Resident Asshole wrote:Closely related are the Creoles, of which I am part. They share a lot in common with Cajuns along with african and french ancestry.

Sounds like a great place and quite a gem to find in Scotland.
I love the cuisine. They both use the trinity, Creole uses Okra, lot of stuff going back and forth over authentic and rustic. All wonderful. Gumbo I've been making for 40 years.

A New Orleans road trip would be the bomb, sirs.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

BlackGlass wrote:Damn, I was only in Glasgow last week visiting family and I completely missed this place. I will definitely pay it a visit next time I'm down there. Looks like they have a nice selection too. It doesn't surprise me that they're knowledgeable about the stuff either as the Glaswegians know their booze.

Hello there BlackGlass, and welcome aboard. What do you pour into your black glass? I'll try a shot meself, once I find out what it is.

Paninaro
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Paninaro »

I've never been into Gumbo, but I do enjoy the street that it sits on, Byres Road has numerous good pubs, and the posh bars of Ashton Lane are there too, Vodka Wodka, Jinty McGinty's and Brel being my favourites in Ashton Lane. Last time I was drinking on Byres Road I went into The Aragon and Tennent's Bar. The Three Judges down where Byres Road meets Dumbarton Road is also a nice pub.
You're so pretty when you're unfaithful to me

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

Paninaro wrote:I've never been into Gumbo, but I do enjoy the street that it sits on, Byres Road has numerous good pubs, and the posh bars of Ashton Lane are there too, Vodka Wodka, Jinty McGinty's and Brel being my favourites in Ashton Lane. Last time I was drinking on Byres Road I went into The Aragon and Tennent's Bar. The Three Judges down where Byres Road meets Dumbarton Road is also a nice pub.
I used to live on Dumabrton road and was in the Thee Judges at least once a week. Those were the days. Left glasgow around the time Gumbo opened. The two were largely unrelated
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

Paninaro
Booze Head
Booze Head

Post by Paninaro »

Mr. Viking wrote:
Paninaro wrote:I've never been into Gumbo, but I do enjoy the street that it sits on, Byres Road has numerous good pubs, and the posh bars of Ashton Lane are there too, Vodka Wodka, Jinty McGinty's and Brel being my favourites in Ashton Lane. Last time I was drinking on Byres Road I went into The Aragon and Tennent's Bar. The Three Judges down where Byres Road meets Dumbarton Road is also a nice pub.
I used to live on Dumabrton road and was in the Thee Judges at least once a week. Those were the days. Left glasgow around the time Gumbo opened. The two were largely unrelated
Cheers to that!
You're so pretty when you're unfaithful to me