Favorite Drinking Destination and Why?

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

AntonArkydivich
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Favorite Drinking Destination and Why?

Post by AntonArkydivich »

Where are your favorite places to drink outside of your current country, and why?

Klaipeda, Lithuania

Incredible beer and even more forgiving police officers. Plus, with all the timber and lack of industry, that whole country just smells amazing, is blissfully tranquil, and it's perfectly OK to wake up in some field after a long night.

Shanghai, China

Tons of expats and backpackers. Great stories, beautiful city lights, and $5 can buy you and your two closest friends a chance to forget an entire evening.

Prague, Czech Republic

It's Prague. Beer is cheaper than bottled water. What the hell is there to say?

If this has been done before, for the love of God, tell me so I can delete it before looking like a dummy.
Making my own city lights out of bourbon and the stars of a barroom fight.
- Josh Ritter

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Favorite Drinking Destination and Why?

Post by oettinger »

Kabul, Afghanistan. Whoops, no.

Sorrento, Italy. It`s near Naples. They really do a long siesta, music to my overworked german ears. A whole town on shutdown from noon to 8 at night. Beautiful! Their beer bottles served in big cartons is silly though. A friend of mine tried to look cool and carried one on his shoulder, kaboom!, broken beer bottles everywhere.

I have to check out that field!
Drink!

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

I have burped with an Irishman and witnessed his broken tables and his tales and poems about his bicyclees

I have searched for an ABBA song for a Fin and heard him laugh while he waited for me to do this, then I accidentlly made him wait hours while I got stuck in a snowbank

I have smoked with a giant in his cemetery of candy, he is the Pall Mall Bearer

I have listened to an enlightened So-Cal digitalman tell everyone to shut up all the time and we did, to the wind whistling

I have smoked a cigarette through these damned wires that now drip with nicotine from a tall Germaniac punk rocker who listens to lemmy quite a bit

and I have found horror, sadness, fright, and hearty laughter from a fine Scot who never gives up

anything at all.

All due to this place.

I guess this is my own favorite Drinking Destination. But I have many.

Do you?

Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

mistah willies wrote:...I guess this is my own favorite Drinking Destination...
This post definitely makes it to the "All Star" list.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

drunkin' Wisconsinite
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by drunkin' Wisconsinite »

while not out of the country for me, New Orleans LA would be my favorite drinking destination. If you go there once, you'll be there twice.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

Dear booze started a thread that turned into something like this. I said it before there & ill say it again here - japan is my favourite place to drink. Partly its the freedom of availability of alcohol. Australia, & NSW in particular, is incredibly restrictive with the sale of booze. Its only sold in speciality stores (almost always big chains) that are only open 10am-10pm. So being able to go into a convenience store in japan any time of day or night is cool. I know there are other places you can do this, but how many sell unopened cans of beer/mixed drinks from kiosks on railway platforms? Not to mention the famous vending machines. Theres also the tolerance of drunkeness. Capsule hotels are designed for drunken salarymen who miss their train home, which is why you find them located next to major stations & in entertainment districts of big cities. If you go into a park during cherry blossom season you will find folks laying out tarpaulins to eat, drink & be merry on. If you come back after dark the place is a party packed with drunk office workers - albeit well behaved, seated ones. Lastly its the service culture. Go into a pub in Oz & its a ultilitarian space full of poker machines & posters telling you that drinking & gambling are for losers. Japanese restaurants & bars are places of beauty.

Also anywhere in SE Asia cause the weather is hot, the beer is cold & everything is cheap.

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Palinka wrote:
mistah willies wrote:...I guess this is my own favorite Drinking Destination...
This post definitely makes it to the "All Star" list.
Agreed.
mistah willies wrote:I have listened to an enlightened So-Cal digitalman tell everyone to shut up all the time and we did, to the wind whistling...
SHUT UP!

I don't always holler "shut up", but when I do, it's usually because oettinger is on the call.

And we wouldn't have it any other way. You lot are some kind of concentrated version of a good time that packs more than 3 barrels of monkeys into one barrel. Just add booze and stir.

Cheers!
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

booznik
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by booznik »

Casual Binger wrote:Dear booze started a thread that turned into something like this. I said it before there & ill say it again here - japan is my favourite place to drink...
Always enjoy hearing about your Japan stories. Fascinating (and weird) place.
Also anywhere in SE Asia cause the weather is hot, the beer is cold & everything is cheap.
When it comes to this, though, were you and I both shorted on the hot-weather discount?
"Booznik. Smooth, classy and manatee-like." --Bur

"Oh, you've been reading your Sir Kenelm Digby, haven't you? Stick to the mead recipes, especially that of the Mayor of Moscovy. That shizz is SACK!!!" --Badfellow

"Now stop and DRINK! bastards." --mistah willies

"A stand alone place for booze is as essential for a home, as is a bed to sleep on." --Miklo

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Casual Binger wrote:Capsule hotels are designed for drunken salarymen who miss their train home
I find it hard to hit my bed when drunk, how in the world should that work? Also, what happens when you need to hit the bathroom quick suddenly?
Drink!

Palinka (RIP)

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

oettinger wrote:...what happens when you need to hit the bathroom quick suddenly?
For you, I would suggest packing some toilet paper sandwiches...
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

JimLahey
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by JimLahey »

Cool topic.
I have to say Bangkok Thailand. There's a really cool English pub there I like right next to a whorehouse, an STD clinic, and a hostel. It's called the Pickled Liver. It's a classier place than most so prices are so so (for Thailand that is, it's still very cheap). Anyways, the atmosphere is really great. Lots of regulars and they are super friendly, they invite you into their circle of friends right away. Service is great, it feels like a giant family that gets together every night. Lots of travelers and a lot of interesting stories. It kind of feels like the middle of the universe and full of people going from point A to point B. Right by it is also another interesting place called Cheap Charlie's. It's basically a tiny kiosk that's partly made of animal skeletons that serves booze and it's right out in the open air with a few stools.

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

south of spain so far. I love the "I couldn't give a fuck" attitude of the barstaff, smoking in the pub, cold beer sold in kebab shops and oppressive heat

There is good reason why half of england has moved there semi permanently
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Mr. Viking wrote:south of spain so far. I love the "I couldn't give a fuck" attitude of the barstaff, smoking in the pub, cold beer sold in kebab shops and oppressive heat

There is good reason why half of england has moved there semi permanently

Sounds like Florida for New England...

Complete with the New Spain language (Cubanese)
Can we drink now? ---peetie44
At rock bottom, there is no down. ---The Oett
^ ^ ^ Yes his entire cutlery set and all utensils are made from assorted broken bottles.--- The Artful Detective
Just remember Hugh: a good cocktail in a shitty glass is better that a shitty cocktail in a pretty glass.---The Badfellow
I'll buy the first round if you promise to stop being a cunt. --- Dear Booze

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

oettinger wrote:
Casual Binger wrote:Capsule hotels are designed for drunken salarymen who miss their train home
I find it hard to hit my bed when drunk, how in the world should that work? Also, what happens when you need to hit the bathroom quick suddenly?
The average japanese salaryman probably doesnt party quite as hard as you. Officially you are not supposed to be drunk or have tattoos (yakuza thing), but they only seem to enforce the tattoo bit.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

booznik wrote:
When it comes to this, though, were you and I both shorted on the hot-weather discount?
Didnt quite get this. Do you mean its not hot where you live? I thought you lived in california? Are you up in san fransisco or somewhere? Lismore is pretty warm, but i still like hot places because it makes drinking cold beer more enjoyable.