Charles P. Stanley's Cigar Lounge

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Charles P. Stanley's Cigar Lounge

Post by shawnonious »

Thought I'd throw the hat in for the quintessential cigar lounge in downtown St. Louis. This place is my place. Me and my two regular drinking buddies have declared that we go here every first weekend of the month after payday. The humidor room has a hell of a lot of cigars, and supplies me with my favorite (Drew Estate Java lattes. Sounds lame, but pairs DAMNED good with White Russians). This is the place that made up "The Dude 2.0" I posted about in the astonishing drink recipes forum, which was a White Russian with bailey's instead of cream when they ran out of cream, charged me the price of a white russian, and poured it full into a high baller. I don't remember the bartender's face (for a certain reason... may have pushed the limit there, then continued at home.... ), but I know he was a younger fellow, so if you're in there on a weekend and a dark haired younger guy is serving drinks, see if he remembers it.

I love this place. The clientelle are a crazy variety. I've bullshitted with cops looking for a relaxing night, middle aged women out on the prowl, young frat guys out trying to look sophisticated, the big black guys rolling in cash from illicit dealings, big black guys working the police force, old drunkards, and everything in between. We always sit at the bar and start up great conversations, and they often give GREAT insight into the city. It was really interesting chatting with the different types of folks there during the Ferguson deal. We were all men enjoying cigars and STIFF drinks, so we all got along and had a great time. May as well have cured society's ills. The fella who normally mans the humidors with the dreadlocks is a fantastic dude. In addition, there are comfy as all HELL couches over by the windows. When me and my friends, who are younger guys, roll up, though, the couches are always occupied. One of these days we're grabbing those bastards.

P Stanley's is a great place to chill out and have a cigar and stiff mixed drinks. Even better when it's your base of operations for plotting logistics of figuring out which party to trek out to that night later on. And they have Newcastle on tap. That's always a plus.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" -Tom Waits

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Re: Charles P. Stanley's Cigar Lounge

Post by Casual Binger »

Looks great. I figured when I finally make it to St. Louis I'd check out a jazz or blues bar and leave it at that. Now I'll have to check out this place too. Maybe now you're normalising relations with Cuba they'll get some cigars I've heard of in?

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Possibly. I once watched the humidor worker with dreadlocks make an exchange of some sort with a large 300 pound looking Italian middle aged man carrying a rather large metal suitcase. Maybe they already do? haha

There is actually a jazz cigar club in Belleville IL called the Cigar Inn. I can't attest to how it is, I've never been there.

shawnonious
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by shawnonious »

Managed to nab a couch recently, and it was phenomenal. Then managed to get a Dude 2.0. He remembered it.