The Woman Who Put The "Kitsch" In Vegas

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Palinka (RIP)

The Woman Who Put The "Kitsch" In Vegas

Post by Palinka (RIP) »

Las Vegas, the spiritual home of the Modern Drunkard, the host city for our record breaking First Convention, has lost one of its key designers, Betty Willis (at the tender age of 92); the lady whom, amongst other things, designed the iconic, "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada" sign (see below). This was a lady who helped build and shape Las Vegas and, as such, she knew everyone from Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegal" to Tom Jones.

So do yourself a favour and gather more information on the fantastic life and times of Betty Willis. You can start by clicking here.
"If I had all the money that I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!"
"The trouble with internet quotes is that one can never be sure if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Kindly listen to this, please.
ドロンケン
ImageImage

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: The Woman Who Put The "Kitsch" In Vegas

Post by mistah willies »

So sad, but a lovely read. Iconic. Serrendipitous for her, and all thanks to Googies.

Side note: you know that the sign is perched upon a post so short that a tall man could steal a lightbulb?

It's in the meridian between the two opposing lanes, but kind of iffy about the way to approach, almost like you are doing something illegal, if you want your picture taken before it.

You probably are, and that makes it even more legit, Las Vegas-style