The Hopleaf

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

JoyOfDrinking
Booze Head
Booze Head

The Hopleaf

Post by JoyOfDrinking »

I haven't been in years as I don't live in Chicago anymore, but The Hopleaf is one of my top 3 bars in the world. Great beer selection and of fine quality. Plus the food and decor ain't bad either.

I attended a local drinking and writing event there in 2008, and even found what I think is the relevant post on this very forum here:
Modern Drunkard wrote:I've been invited to give a speech of sorts at the Drinking and Writing Festival (at The Hopleaf Bar in Chicago) on Saturday. I'll be arriving Friday night, the festival chaps are giving me a dive bar tour, and if you'd like to join in for a number of rounds PM me and we'll exchange numbers. Should be a hoot.

Frank

Festival Link: http://www.drinkingandwriting.com/
I may very well have met Frank there and had a conversation with him, if he's the one who gave a speech about Hunter S Thompson. So I have fond memories of The Hopleaf and their warm cherry beer on cold nights, and as I continue in my own drunken pursuits, I remember The Modern Drunkard and how I came to know of you there.
Last edited by JoyOfDrinking on Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: The Hopleaf

Post by oettinger »

You met our god? Cool.

Your linked video is quite nice, I was epecting something way different to be honest.

You might introduce yourself to the rest of the bunch in the pub.

Have a nice loaded sunday
Drink!

JoyOfDrinking
Booze Head
Booze Head

Re: The Hopleaf

Post by JoyOfDrinking »

Met your god? I suppose I did. I even faked smoking a cigarette with him at the time (an amateur move, I know, and one for which I repent) because I was a young aspiring writer and wanted to have some solo time with this man to talk about the trade.

I'm glad you enjoy my video! I will introduce myself in the pub soon.