Please define "Irish pub"

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Please define "Irish pub"

Post by oettinger »

In germany, every dive owned by a member of the commonwealth is called "Irish pub" (strange, I know). They most often offer you some scotchs and english ciders.
Is "Irish Pub" a term used to loosely? Does english pub sound better?
Opinions please.
Drink!

hereforthebeer
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Re: Please define "Irish pub"

Post by hereforthebeer »

english pub and irish pub are two different things

irish obviously have the heritage for being the world best drinkers which is nice.

irish pubs serve guiness

english pubs are ok too

i've never been to ireland but both my parents have irish genes so i guess this explains my propensity for getting drunk

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

I think that the "Irish Pub" has brand recognition and is an easily identified business model.
Most things "Irish", especially in America and especially by ex-patriotted, immigrants and their decendents, are heavily romanticized.
I guess this has done nothing to define it, though.

How about: natural wood and brass hardware everywhere; Irish flags, music, pictures, accoutrement and ephemera; Guinness, hARP and Bass...etcetera. And don't forget the improted nostalgia
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Guinness, Smithwick's, Jameson's and Killbeggan.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

"Oh heavens. Me patatahs...me patatahs..."
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Never attempt to catch a free buzz form the malt vinegar, nor think of the newsprint as a free snack.

Dr Cyclops
Souse
Souse

Post by Dr Cyclops »

Instead of a Baseball Bat, the Barkeep uses a Shillelagh to keep the Heathen in line.

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

By Commonwealth, do you mean the former British Empire? Australia, South Africa, India, Jamaica etc?

I think an English pub is just a pub, as a public house is a British institution and there seems little difference between English, Welsh and Scottish pubs beyond the clientele.

An Irish pub outside of Ireland is mostly just a branding exercise and seems to be an American tradition. In Australia there are countless pubs that boast Irish names, but they only differ from regular pubs by having an Irish stout amongst the taps and a fading Murphy's Law poster behind the bar.

In NZ they make a bit more effort with decor and Irish whiskeys. There's a place in Wellington that even used to have snugs. A Pogues covers band seals the deal.

The strangest Irish bar I ever drank in was in Amsterdam. I can't recall if it had an Irish name, but it was packed with stocky Irish thugs grimly drinkng in near silence. Bad vibes, no craic at all. Me and my mate downed our pints of shitty Amstel and scarpered.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

By commonwealth I mean the actual empire. UK, Austria, NZ and the oversees territory.

I bet the bar in Amsterdam was called "The four sailors" or "Roses`"
Drink!

hereforthebeer
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by hereforthebeer »

Good 'ole music.

cockey irish las's

and drinking until the wee hours

Dr Cyclops
Souse
Souse

Post by Dr Cyclops »

oettinger wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:07 am
By commonwealth I mean the actual empire. UK, Austria, NZ and the oversees territory.
By Austria, you mean Canada?

ThirstyDrunk
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by ThirstyDrunk »

Paddys from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Like a desperate thirst in a raging drought

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Dr Cyclops wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:00 pm
oettinger wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:07 am
By Austria, you mean Canada?
Good catch. That was on purple. Switzerland I meant
Drink!

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

I travelled most of Ireland's coastland going to pubs, both in small and larger towns. I would say a quintessential Irish pub has old bartenders, very little ice, you can bring your own mixer if you are drinking mixed. If they do have music it is usually live music. If they have TVs they are usually tuned to rugby, an American sport or horse racing. Cider, Budweiser (no Bud Light) and TJD are always present. Doing shots is almost non-existent in the smaller towns. "Trendy" shots such as Jager bombs (though served warm) are common in the bigger cities.

As for the bar itself, usually pretty rustic and woody, yet busy with plenty of pictures, trophies, bar swag and any number of themes depending upon the owner(s). Liquor pours are generally either 2.5 or 3.5 cl, which is either just under or just over an ounce. I am used to a 1.5 ounce pour at my regulars. Most of the beer is actually a bit bland but there are lots of ciders. Bulmer's is the most common (called Magner's here in the US). Guinness of course is everywhere and many pubs have cask ales served at a true cellar temperature.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Casual Binger
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Casual Binger »

"you can bring your own mixer if you are drinking mixed."

This is intriguing. The vibe sounds a bit like the Japanese locals' bars where regulars buy a bottle of scochu and leave it at the bar with a label tag attached for later visits. Or is it more like the sort of place where the bartender is too drunk to mix drinks properly (but never too drunk to count change correctly)?