Hoot's Hatch

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Hoot's Hatch

Post by Rooster »

So, I've been in the beer desert of Elizabeth City, NC for 6 years. Situated 30 minutes from the Carolina Outer Banks, a popular tourist destination for New Englanders and yachties moving through the Intercoastal; this place has always been a dump when it comes to bars that serve good alcohol.

NC Blue Laws being what they are, drinking here is rather strange. My local... the aforementioned Hoot's Hatch, is an example of that. It is a private club where you must belong to the Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer's Association, Coast Guard Enlisted Association, Coast Guard Chief Warrant Officers Association, or Fleet Reserve Association. Or, get someone to sponsor you in as a guest.

However, what you'll find inside is a dive-bar that any Drunkard would immediately call home. Liquor has to be brown-bagged in. They serve wine and beer between 2pm until around 6 or 7 when the members all leave. At any point though, they've got your usual 8-10 macro-brews in bottles and cans... and 30-40 microbrews in the same. It changes constantly, but there will be something for nearly everyone.

I'm retiring in two-weeks, and the event is being held there. I'll post some pictures. If you're making the trip to the Outer Banks, though... I'd recommend stopping by to have a cold one and say, "Hi!"

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: Hoot's Hatch

Post by oettinger »

Sounds cool, you retire?

Those laws are odd to say the least, I don`t get it at all
Drink!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Should I get down that way I'll try to make contact. Always nice to have locals to show your local drinking customs and such.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Rooster
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Rooster »

It's not worth going to if you're looking for a party. It's what you would find at any VFW, but more exclusive.

However, if you're in the area on your way to the Outer Banks and want to get your fill of some decent beer before you land there, it's a great place. If you're military, it's an easy in. If you're not, shoot me a message and I can probably drum up a sponsor.

I preferred going on Thursdays and at the beginning of the month, because the old, retired guys go paid and would start buying rounds for the bar. They were drinking $1 Busch Lites, while I was drinking $4 microbrews. A round still cost less than a Jackson.

And, if you do go, and if do get in, buy the first round. It may cost you $20 (or more, if some active-duty are in there), but those old fellas will buy the next 5 or 6. You sit, you enjoy the sea-stories, you enjoy the beer; but mostly, you enjoy the company.

As I closed in on my own retirement date, I was giving away chips (drink tokens) because I had so many.