Another Dive Bites the Dust.

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Another Dive Bites the Dust.

Post by Patchez »

Some of the best times I can't remember as a younger drinker were had at High St. Tavern in Hanover PA. The owner Ronnie passed away last weekend.
The kids announced, rather rapidly and shittly I might add, that the bar would be closing Feb 1. Sucks cause Ronnie loved that dump. We all did. 20 people in it and it was wall to wall people. Small cozy joint. A place where if you went there to day drink and said more than two sentences to the old timers they'd grunt out a "Did you come here to bullshit or drink?"

Anyway I stopped in today to pay my respects and to hoist a few for old times sake.

New Years Eve a few years back.

Google maps of the historic site. 73 years. Fucking kids suck.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/High+ ... 76.9959129
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Shane-O-Matic
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Re: Another Dive Bites the Dust.

Post by Shane-O-Matic »

That's shite news, Patchez. Looks like a cool place, clearly a pillar in the community. No chance of it changing hands? I s'pose that could lead to gentrification and whatnot, but still. Sorry to hear.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Sorry to hear it. I've never been there yet somehow it's still sad.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Sad news. But, try to look on the bright side... you could come away with some cool memorabilia if they decide to sell anything.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

From the looks of it, I can't imagine that place being anything other than a bar. Here's hoping it'll rise from the ashes like a phoenix. Are there any other bars nearby? If not, there's a good chance new owners will try to swoop in and take advantage of the now lack of local watering holes.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Rye and Coke wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:55 pm
Are there any other bars nearby? If not, there's a good chance new owners will try to swoop in and take advantage of the now lack of local watering holes.
My thought exactly. Click the google maps link. There are some bars, the rendevous tavern looks like eh it looks ... underwhelming
Drink!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

oettinger wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:17 pm
Rye and Coke wrote:
Are there any other bars nearby? If not, there's a good chance new owners will try to swoop in and take advantage of the now lack of local watering holes.
My thought exactly. Click the google maps link. There are some bars, the rendevous tavern looks like eh it looks ... underwhelming
They are both dive bars. They are supposed to be underwhelming. That's the beauty of a dive. No hipsters or pretentious yuppies would set foot in a real dive.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Patchez wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:03 am
oettinger wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:17 pm
Rye and Coke wrote:
They are both dive bars. They are supposed to be underwhelming. That's the beauty of a dive. No hipsters or pretentious yuppies would set foot in a real dive.
I actually thought it looked like a candyvan, just scarcely disguised as a bar.
But yeah, for a dive it looks fantastic
Drink!

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

This fucking sucks. My city, San Diego, has lost nearly all its dives.

Do you guys ever listen to hipsters ordering beers? It takes them 20 minutes and a half dozen samples before they order their IPA something-or-other.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

Hugh wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:37 pm
This fucking sucks. My city, San Diego, has lost nearly all its dives.

Do you guys ever listen to hipsters ordering beers? It takes them 20 minutes and a half dozen samples before they order their IPA something-or-other.
I had that experience at a bar some months ago. One half of me was irritated, the other half was impressed they'd found and hack for getting free beers.

What's up Hugh, glad to see you didn't leave us for too long.
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Anyone who lives in Tampa or close should support Barefoot Billy's on Gandy Blvd. Great place, super staff, great disrespect of the rules.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Mr Boozificator wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:13 pm
Anyone who lives in Tampa or close should support Barefoot Billy's on Gandy Blvd. Great place, super staff, great disrespect of the rules.
Going down there to visit the wife,s family. I will look it up. Closer to her family was Annie's Bait and Tackle. I've posted about that place before. Kinda my home away from home while down there.

Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Post by Mr Boozificator »

Patchez wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:14 pm
Mr Boozificator wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:13 pm
Going down there to visit the wife,s family. I will look it up. Closer to her family was Annie's Bait and Tackle. I've posted about that place before. Kinda my home away from home while down there.
Oh, if you're going this way, I also recommend the Tiny Tap that is a pretty cool small bar even though it's not a real dive. The locals are very very friendly.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

"We all look for happiness, but without knowing where to find it: like drunkards who look for their house, knowing dimly that they have one." Voltaire

"The prince of darkness is a gentleman." Shakespeare.