New Orleans bars

Where you like to get loaded, and why.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

cornbread714
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

bars in the big easy

Post by cornbread714 »

b.j.'s, in the bywater was a good place to spend loads of time. for a while i was also dating a bartender there, which made life convenient and economical. they had a great jukebox; local music of course (my band included), but also a lot of great country & western tunes. my bartender/girlfriend was particulatly fond of loretta lynn's "fist city".
i once got knocked off a barstool there by accident - a huge mexican guy named gilberto, whom i used to work for sometimes as a carpenter's helper - unexpectedly gave me a friendly slap on the shoulder. i was so soused , i fell off the stool and broke my glasses. i had to play a gig the next day, all hung over, glasses crudely taped together, but it being new orleans, no one seemed to notice.
molly's at the market also became my second home. i'd no sooner walk in the joint then there would appear on the bar a jameson (neat, of course), and a cold budweiser. i used to think about changing my name and persona into: "bud jameson - hard-boiled irish reporter". it was a great hangout - andrei coudrescu (the writer who sometimes does npr programs) and harry anderson (remember night court?) used to hang there a lot. it was a great place - pork-chop, my guitar playing friend, and i, used to drink all night there on a regular basis. it was loud, crowded a lot of the time, and too brightly lit, but somehow the vibe was really great.
i miss those bars now that i'm living in amsterdam. i can't think of a single bar here that i could recommend, so i drink at home. good thing i discovered modern drunkard...
Live like a pig, die like a dog

"Everyone sleeps before I do. Sometimes I do not know what to do with myself; then the trouble begins."
-Savage

divine
Hooch Hound
Hooch Hound

Re: bars in the big easy

Post by divine »

It might take a little searching, but in and around the red light district of Amsterdam (de walletjes) there are some good cafe's waiting for you to discover them. It's a red light district hat's very unlike all the others you've seen already, a much more "friendly" and "warm" neighborhood.
Don't be undrunk my son. It serves no cause.

cornbread714
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by cornbread714 »

i'm not saying there aren't some good bars in a-dam, but for me good bars find you, not the other way round. i kinda like maloe melo (chet baker used to play there - back in those days), and maybe i haven't stumbled into the right ones yet. oh, yes, there is one place in "the wallen" that i do like ok, it's on the zeedijk, i forget the name, nice owner and single malts, good beer. i don't mean to disparage a-dam, i just miss the vibe of those new orleans bars...
Live like a pig, die like a dog

"Everyone sleeps before I do. Sometimes I do not know what to do with myself; then the trouble begins."
-Savage

blueshead
Tippler
Tippler

Post by blueshead »

Awwww Gilbert knocked you over.. heh.. I work up the street on Burgundy/Piety fer Chicarelli as his helper and I used to hang out at B.J's. Bobby Lewis did some work for us once until until he went into Rock Star mode playing with Little Freddie king.....
Thank God I live in New Orleans- 24/7 dives

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

New Orleans?

Post by Bluto »

Anyone have a favorite watering hole in New Orleans? I'll be there for a drinking vacation in a few months.
I have 0 zero doubt I'll have a problem finding good places to get kicked out of I'm looking for a little inside knowledge.

Cheers

-Bluto
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: New Orleans?

Post by Patchez »

B... my knowledge is from my USAF days... 20 years ago and change and pre Katrina. That being said... always go down stairs to a jazz/blues club. Anything street level is streicly tourist.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Re: New Orleans?

Post by Bluto »

Patchez wrote:B... my knowledge is from my USAF days... 20 years ago and change and pre Katrina. That being said... always go down stairs to a jazz/blues club. Anything street level is streicly tourist.

Good info, there.
Two of my group have some experience in the city so we aren't flying blind. Coincidentally, one of them is a USAF Academy grad and the other is a current USAF Quarter Master.
This board has given me lots of good travel tips in the past (thanks for Cleveland) and I trust you guys. Your word goes a long way in my book.

Cheers,

-Bluto
Going to happy hour and not drinking is like going to an orgy and masturbating. You just took a great idea and turned it into a circle jerk. -Sixpack595

drunkin' Wisconsinite
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

New Orleans

Post by drunkin' Wisconsinite »

I'm in New Orleans for a couple days, unfortunately work related but I have plenty of free time to wander the city - this place is a drunkards wet dream. Bourbon Street, while fun, smells of sun dried urine and stale beer - other than that a lot of fine people enjoying all that life has to offer. I've seen more people face down in the gutter drunk today than the last 10 years combined. The music, food and other entertainment is outstanding...I highly recommend for any fellow drunk looking to take a road trip.

A toast to the Crescent City! Drink with me!

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Re: New Orleans

Post by oettinger »

Dear Booze is overthere sometimes and asks for company, too bad it`s not this weekend
Drink!

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

drunkin' Wisconsinite wrote:I'm in New Orleans for a couple days, unfortunately work related but I have plenty of free time to wander the city - this place is a drunkards wet dream. Bourbon Street, while fun, smells of sun dried urine and stale beer - other than that a lot of fine people enjoying all that life has to offer. I've seen more people face down in the gutter drunk today than the last 10 years combined. The music, food and other entertainment is outstanding...I highly recommend for any fellow drunk looking to take a road trip.

A toast to the Crescent City! Drink with me!
I'm sorry i missed you. I was in NOLA a week ealier. What a fine city for drinking it is.

I've always had fun there but until this recent trip, I never counted it as one of my top-ten drinking destinations. I have now changed my mind. Here's why... Bourbon Street draws you in. It offers drinks and excitement and titties. It's like a characature of what New Orleans really is. So, on this trip, I avoided Bourbon Street and ventured out; I awoke early and had breakfast booze; I stayed up late in shitty neighborhoods; I met with the organizers of Tales of the Cocktail for a private tour; and I made a point to drink with locals at locals-only bars. I realized that the cresent city is a truly authentic drinking destination. Drinking is a way of life and that's the way it's been for well over 200 years. Shit, the cocktail was invented there, for Christsake. And they never recognized prohibition. Two great reasons to change my mind.

Here's to New Orleans
DRINK!

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Sorry Drunkin, I got carried away with excitement. Where did you stay and where/what did you drink?
DRINK!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Don't apologize. You got me at Tales of the Cocktail.

I do declare, Sazerac for all.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

Badfellow wrote:Don't apologize. You got me at Tales of the Cocktail.

I do declare, Sazerac for all.

not the baby Saz... the full Handy!
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Bluto
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God

Post by Bluto »

When in New Orleans (especially the garden district) I highly recommend the Rendevous Tavern. High Life and a Jameson for $5 every day.
Great staff, pool, darts, and other distractions. It's not a tourist trap.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

right in the kisser

Post by Frankennietzsche »

“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"