the 10 commandments of drinking like a man

Post your favorite quips of wino wisdom here.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Rabies
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

the 10 commandments of drinking like a man

Post by Rabies »

not sure if this has been brought up before

http://www.drinkplanner.com/2008/05/14/ ... ike-a-man/
There's a game called drinking, it's a lot like solitaire

Look poor, act crazy, and carry a gun. -Faint-Hearted

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: the 10 commandments of drinking like a man

Post by Wingman »

reading that beat the hell out of working. thanks!
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

Resident Asshole
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Resident Asshole »

I've seen many lists similar to this one, but I honestly like this one the best. Every other list had at least one thing with which I disagreed. I agreed with everything here.

I have another personal rule which I wish more guys would follow:

In addition to following the aforementioned rules, EDUCATE YOUR WOMAN on the ways of drinking! It's not that fucking hard. My ex drank shitty beer when I met her. By the time we split up I had her drinking Jameson and IPAs and going to Ireland and out to the local beer festival with me.

My current girl drank Miller Lite when I met her. I suggested and wheat beer to her (312 from Goose Island) and she loved it. She was not a whiskey drinker at all. I had her try a Royal Flush (Crown, Peach, Cranberry) and she like that. Women are open to suggestion, but they often times need someone knowledgeable to hold their hand when perusing the mysterious ways of booze.

I just simply can't stand seeing women order miller lite and red headed sluts all night. It grates my nerves to no end.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

I was drinking at a bar a few weeks ago and it was the afternoon, so off-duty bartenders were there getting loose for their shifts later. Being the amiable sort, I offered to buy a round of shots, correctly assuming they would be coming back to me with interest.

Anyhow, I offered to buy some Irish carbombs and the ostensibly been-around-the-block bartenders were unfamiliar with any "bomb" drink that did not involve Red Bull.

I was horrified, but hid it well. We did our carbombs and they declared them heavenly. Just call me Johnny Drunkleseed.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

Captain Tim
Souse
Souse

Post by Captain Tim »

I certainly hope that those bartenders were taking notes...ever since March 1st I have seen a flurry of Irish Carbombs being made, consumed, and ordered again.

...I may have had something to do with that at the beginning, but later on I'm not too sure...

Zippy
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by Zippy »

Nice list -- these are commandments I could live with. I would add Rye to the required range of whiskeys.
It's always a good day to get ripped!

BBoozer
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by BBoozer »

Resident Asshole wrote:
In addition to following the aforementioned rules, EDUCATE YOUR WOMAN on the ways of drinking!
I completely agree. My redhead was a good drinker when I met her, but she would drink the girly, fruity beers. Then I introduced her to the trappist beers, and I would buy her good wine and champagne. Then I got her into whiskey. It improved our sex life tremendously. And it was great to start with, her being a redhead. Now she understands drinking, and it is her buying me wine and good beer.

Resident Asshole

Post by Resident Asshole »

Jiggers McCoy wrote:I was drinking at a bar a few weeks ago and it was the afternoon, so off-duty bartenders were there getting loose for their shifts later. Being the amiable sort, I offered to buy a round of shots, correctly assuming they would be coming back to me with interest.

Anyhow, I offered to buy some Irish carbombs and the ostensibly been-around-the-block bartenders were unfamiliar with any "bomb" drink that did not involve Red Bull.

I was horrified, but hid it well. We did our carbombs and they declared them heavenly. Just call me Johnny Drunkleseed.

That is sad bro. How old were these kids? I can't understand how anyone with any salt, and especially a bartender can be ignorant to the car bomb.
Bourbon is my blood.

"Gren Label will rock on the show for me." bot rehan507

"women want to better express themselves. Dress up as their own performance this will be a lack of confidence." bot clshoo348

select backwards to God, his safekeeping a weapon homeopathy bold deed, president each opposite's cervix. bot klmn619

Jiggers McCoy
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Jiggers McCoy »

Seemed mid-to-late 20s. Not vets but not brand new either. One of them was drinking Magner's on the rocks, so maybe that demonstrates a lack of taste.

The area of Tampa I live in is pretty young/college-ish, and you know kids these days with their flavored vodka, 4loko, and whatnot, so I guess these bartenders were just a product of their environment.
• "Avoiding the darker alcohols like bourbon, red wine and dark rum might lessen [a hangover] and you might also dance better if you wear a tutu instead of trousers." - FKR

• "If you wanna 'talk about' my drinking, it better be about how fucking awesome it is." - Me

beerkegbilly
Drunker Than God
Drunker Than God
Location: in a hollow of a tree or in a wishing well but alway on my pot of gold really Penna USA

Post by beerkegbilly »

Pissing away my generation with that 4 loko and junk what about vodka flavor vodka or some shit like that

John Barleycorn

Post by John Barleycorn »

Good list. One quibble on #8. While he is correct about being casual with the opening of Champagne in most circumstance, there are rare occasions when the more elaborate sabering of the bottle can be appropriate.

Wingman
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Wingman »

John Barleycorn wrote: While he is correct about being casual with the opening of Champagne in most circumstance, there are rare occasions when the more elaborate sabering of the bottle can be appropriate.
sabering open a bottle of champagne is on my personal list of things to do before i die.
Stupid should hurt.

"We're better than mere people, we're DRUNKARDS."
--ThirstyDrunk

PFrank

Post by PFrank »

Looks like the original link is hosed, but I found it here. This really should be require reading for men. I have a new colleague/friend in his early 20s. Nice chap, but holy crap, the unbelievable effeminate drinks he and his buds are into boggle the mind. Something tells me that the syndrome is fairly widespread.

Jollyroger1210
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard
Location: Halfway between Yuengling and the Whiskey Rebellion

Post by Jollyroger1210 »

" No Worthwhile Woman Will Ever Be Impressed With How Much You Can Drink"

Oh, how true this is.....

Love the whole list. Already following most, still not a huge fan of whiskey, though 7 and 7's aren't too bad.
"I only drink on days that start with a T; Tuesday, Thursday, today, and tomorrow."

PFrank

Post by PFrank »

Jollyroger1210 wrote:" No Worthwhile Woman Will Ever Be Impressed With How Much You Can Drink"

Oh, how true this is.....
Indeed, words of wisdom. I can't think of a single classy dame I've known who gave a rip about the quantity consumed.
Jollyroger1210 wrote:Love the whole list. Already following most, still not a huge fan of whiskey, though 7 and 7's aren't too bad.
When I was younger, Whiskey was my thing. Its an acquired taste, for sure, but a good standby for when the mood should strike. :)