William Faulkner

Post your favorite quips of wino wisdom here.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

William Faulkner

Post by Merchant Seaman »

"There's no such thing as bad Whiskey, some Whiskys just happen to be better than others."

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: William Faulkner

Post by Nausea »

As a counter-example, I once purchased a very foul bottle of Edradour 10. It tasted like stomach acid.

I've been scared to go back to this distillery ever since.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Rye and Coke
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant
Location: You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming?"

Post by Rye and Coke »

"A man shouldn’t fool with booze until he’s fifty; then he’s a damn fool if he doesn’t." - Faulkner

I'll agree with about half of that...
"They told me to see the glass half full cause some see it as half empty
I chose to see the glass twice the size it needed to be" - Pharoahe Monch, 'Broken Again'

DrunkinEurope
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by DrunkinEurope »

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." Faulkner in an interview for The Paris Review.
I've always felt that I could accomplish anything as long as there's enough tobacco and whiskey in the apartment. Well, and some food to gobble down, so you have something to vomit come hangover. What else could one ask for?
And I'm one of probably ten people in the world that think Faulkner was a better writer than Hemingway.

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Merchant Seaman »

DrunkinEurope wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:51 am
"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." Faulkner in an interview for The Paris Review.
I've always felt that I could accomplish anything as long as there's enough tobacco and whiskey in the apartment. Well, and some food to gobble down, so you have something to vomit come hangover. What else could one ask for?
And I'm one of probably ten people in the world that think Faulkner was a better writer than Hemingway.
That type of comparison between writers is dicey, a lot like saying Jim Beam is better than Grey Goose, they are different no real point of comparison, that's not to say that some person may prefer one to the other.

But I think it can be fairly stated that Faulkner was a better person than Hemingway

DrunkinEurope
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by DrunkinEurope »

You're right in that it's completely subjective as to which writer is "better", just as much as if someone prefers bourbon or vodka, but it's just a feeling I got, after attending a couple of literature classes at the university, that pretty much everyone praises and is trying to mimic Hem's writing style while they shun Faulkner's as overly complicated. I don't know, maybe it's just me seeing things that aren't really there.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Hemmingway is overly simple though, isn`t he?
Drink!

DrunkinEurope
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by DrunkinEurope »

oettinger wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:46 pm
Hemmingway is overly simple though, isn`t he?
I've always thought that. I mean, I get it, he inspired some of our great boozehound heroes (see, Charles Bukowski), but he oversimplified literature. At least, Faulkner forces us to open up a dictionary and his stream-of-consciousness passages demand a second reading. Ah, fuck, I should crack a fifth of bourbon and revisit "Sound and the Fury".

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Hemmingway was that easy, I myself as a non native speaker had to read old man and the sea in 7th grade.
Fish was gone, me was dissapoint

Wow genius right?
Drink!

DrunkinEurope
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by DrunkinEurope »

Well, he did get a fucking Nobel for it, so....there's got to be something in there?! But, all in all, there's something very simplistic about Hem's style, it can talk to us drunks but there's no challenge. At least, Faulkner forces us to think. Okay, I'm getting drunk(er), I can feel my argumentative skills dissipating.