Jack London

Post your favorite quips of wino wisdom here.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Jack London

Post by Merchant Seaman »

This great writer, and drinker, really deserves a board all his own, but let's read a few quotes

“Oh!--and I speak out of later knowledge--Heaven forefend me from the most of the average run of male humans who are not good fellows, the ones cold of heart and cold of head who don't smoke, drink, or swear, or do much of anything else that is brase, and resentful, and stinging, because in their feeble fibres there has never been the stir and prod of life to well over its boundaries and be devilish and daring. One doesn't meet these in saloons, nor rallying to lost causes, nor flaming on the adventure-paths, nor loving as God's own mad lovers. They are too busy keeping their feet dry, conserving their heart-beats, and making unlovely life-successes of their spirit-mediocrity.”

“But behold! As soon as I went out on the adventure-path I met John Barleycorn again.”

“A cocktail or two, or several, I found, cheered me up for the foolishness of foolish people. A cocktail, or several, before dinner, enabled me to laugh whole-heartedly at things which had long since ceased being laughable. The cocktail was a prod, a spur, a kick, to my jaded mind and bored spirits.”

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Jack London

Post by Patchez »

Merchant Seaman wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:03 pm
This great writer, and drinker, really deserves a board all his own, but let's read a few quotes

“But behold! As soon as I went out on the adventure-path I met John Barleycorn again.”

“A cocktail or two, or several, I found, cheered me up for the foolishness of foolish people. A cocktail, or several, before dinner, enabled me to laugh whole-heartedly at things which had long since ceased being laughable. The cocktail was a prod, a spur, a kick, to my jaded mind and bored spirits.”
These two a real gems. I love them.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Nausea
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Nausea »

Merchant Seaman wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:03 pm
"They are too busy keeping their feet dry, conserving their heart-beats, and making unlovely life-successes of their spirit-mediocrity.”
Damn. Some well-articulated motivation for whenever one feels one's soul waning away from the lovely elixirs.

I drift sometimes, too, and it is the aforesaid sentiment that draws me back in, essentially.

In the words of Willies: Drink; it's good.
Don't worry. We're in no hurry.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Always liked Jack London’s work. Sure, there’s the classics, but I think his short story To Build A Fire has long been a favorite. I’ve read it several times, in several places and during several phases of life, and it always offers something new to consider.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

santachow
Tippler
Tippler

Post by santachow »

Anyway, Jack London is always one of my favorite authors because his works always leave a deep impression on readers