Ethics 101

That's right. You can put them right here.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

An ethical question

Yes
71%
no
29%

Total votes: 31

Leftboston
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Location: Queen Creek, before there was mexicans We had German POWs working farms

Post by Leftboston »

I bought some of the old Schlitz goblets at yard sales. These are great drinking glasses that they used to have in bars in the 60's and 70's. Also bought 2 nice Budweiser pilsner glasses at a Garage sale for a few bucks.

Dr. Shocker
Souse
Souse

Post by Dr. Shocker »

I guess it really depends for me I will only do it from large chain/corp places cause I don't give a shit.......mom and pops never (that I cna recall)

it happes though your drunk kool glass and wala its in your hand as your climbing in the car/cab
-------------------
Viccar of Vice
Dr. Shocker

DrunkAgain
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Post by DrunkAgain »

Dr. Shocker wrote:I guess it really depends for me I will only do it from large chain/corp places cause I don't give a shit.......mom and pops never (that I cna recall)

it happes though your drunk kool glass and wala its in your hand as your climbing in the car/cab

What he said. I have no problem with walking with something from a "Corporate" place, local businessmen no way. Cause whats gonna happen is they raise their prices or go out of business.
Bourbon is like a sweater you wear on the inside.
~unknown MDM'er

Everyone needs a bit o' ass love.
~Liz (RIP)

3DrinksAhead
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by 3DrinksAhead »

as ive said before, stealing from TGIF, Applebees, etc. aint no crime and will probably bring about your redemption. Stealling from a bar, ANY bar, that is not a chain, well, thats grey area. Glassware? Its prob gonna break and have to be replaced at some point anyway. Same with ashtrays, coasters, etc. But when I stole the autographed picture of Jeanette "black widow" Lee from the wall at my local poolhall, i felt kinda bad. For a minute. Then i realized that i had just used a drill to remove screws from the wall so that i could take the fucking thing, and no one even noticed. Then i felt ok about it. 8)
"this is... wait. This... its.. jesus... hold on... shit... ok, this is neither the time, nor the... the place for... uh... do you have a cigarette?"

zak
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by zak »

Corprate places often don't have those big people called bouncers or loyal customers. Freshman year of college, I saw a bouncer punch the pocket a kid had put a pint glass in. The glass broke and when the kid tried to start with him. The bouncer shoved him onto a car parked infront of the place before a friend and I pulled the bouncer back. The kid started walking away, when one of our friends got down in a 3 point stance. I wandered over and did the whole "On your marks, get set, go" and he took off after the kids. I went inside to tell some of the other guys, and they jumped in someones Jeep and went after him. By the time they caught up with them, the theif and one of his friends where already on the ground. The rest of his friends soon followed. Moral of the story, don't fuck around in a bar that has a bunch of loyal customers in it.
this post brought to you by #summerofmargaritas10 cause, yeah it's going to be that kinda of summer where mixed drinks with tequila is going to taste all types of good and stuff, this summer '10 get yourself some margaritas and holler at ya boy.

3DrinksAhead
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by 3DrinksAhead »

that is a nice avatar you got there.
"this is... wait. This... its.. jesus... hold on... shit... ok, this is neither the time, nor the... the place for... uh... do you have a cigarette?"

Tuffy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Tuffy »

Stealing is always stealing; there is no room for moral relativism.

I, however, have no problem acknowledging my occasional moral lapses: always try to do your stealing from those you don't like or at least from those who won't care all that much.

Or at the very least from those who can afford it most or will notice it the least (often the same thing).

In college, I had full dinner service for eight from Denny's - one piece at a time, including coffee pot, tea kettle, bananna split boats, the works.
Nvnc est bibendvm.

Frankennietzsche
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Frankennietzsche »

Tuffy. wrote:
In college, I had full dinner service for eight from Denny's - one piece at a time, including coffee pot, tea kettle, bananna split boats, the works.
That puts my college Denny's silverware set to shame. (**)

(I had to use it.)
“Süßen witwe Mutter-Hosen — kommst du hier mit mein knackenpfeife schnell, oder Ich zeige Ihnen mein Zuhälter Hand!”

"I am going to pistol-whip the next person who says 'shenanigans' "

"Rectum? It nearly killed him!"

Oggar
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Oggar »

I never feel the need to steal small things. I always steal big, too big.like stuff that won't fit in your house. This is what keeps me from actually stealing mostly I guess I just relocate things. Examples...
1) Tore a "No Parking" sign out of the ground and tossed it into someones backyard.
2)Tried to steal a port-a-potty (one of the big tan ones) for a friends party, ababondon it in some old lady's front yard a block later.
3) Tried to drag one of those concrete benches (4-5ft long, no back, all cement) home once. I left it in the middle of a bank parking lot when I saw a cop car coming over the bridge. My favorite part is when I walked back downtown to get my car the next morning I saw them moving it back with a forklift, it kind of makes you proud.

This habit is also how I aquired a ten foot long pallet which I claimed I was going to use to "fix the chair." I also have hazy memories of tipping over dumpsters for "being in my way."
I can't write like Papa, you know I just ain't able
But if he came in here tonight, I'd drink him under the table -Ronny Elliott

RIP Mayhem, as long as I have a heart you are in it.

GSG
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by GSG »

You're still taking something that doesn't belong to you so yeah, of course it's stealing. I stole an enormous ashtray from a Chicago Rock Cafe once and felt so guilty that I brought it back. Sad no? Having said that, I did once see a guy crash into someone's car in a car park and just drive off. It looked like he'd caused this car some nasty damage but he just fucked off so when he'd parked elsewhere I stole his hubcaps and left a note on the damaged car telling him what I'd and the registration plate number. I didn't feel bad about that but I did feel like a Boondock Saint all day, albeit a wussy, petty, girl one with no guns. I still have the hubcaps, I use them as enormous ashtrays to replace the one from Chicagos.
"Spiny norman wins on the bizzare terror stakes, if you haven't been stared at by a 40-foot hedgehog, you haven't lived." - Saltandgin

"Every time you don't get loaded, the terrorists win." - massivedrunk

WWDJFD?

Sixpack595
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Sixpack595 »

3DrinksAhead wrote:as ive said before, stealing from TGIF, Applebees, etc. aint no crime and will probably bring about your redemption. Stealling from a bar, ANY bar, that is not a chain, well, thats grey area. Glassware? Its prob gonna break and have to be replaced at some point anyway. Same with ashtrays, coasters, etc. But when I stole the autographed picture of Jeanette "black widow" Lee from the wall at my local poolhall, i felt kinda bad. For a minute. Then i realized that i had just used a drill to remove screws from the wall so that i could take the fucking thing, and no one even noticed. Then i felt ok about it. 8)
A kid tried stealing a mirror off the wall of my friends bar. He shoved the kid and the kid fell into my knee goin the opposite direction at a high velocity. Head went one way, teeth went the other. My buddy gave me the mirror and the kids screwdriver. I put it up in my home bar.
"Finally, this board was never meant to be a soap opera where people should funnel their emotions and social lives into, it was never meant to be a substitute for drinking and interacting with other drunks at bars." Modern Drunkard

zak
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by zak »

Sixpack595 wrote:A kid tried stealing a mirror off the wall of my friends bar. He shoved the kid and the kid fell into my knee goin the opposite direction at a high velocity. Head went one way, teeth went the other. My buddy gave me the mirror and the kids screwdriver. I put it up in my home bar.
Sounds like an appropriate way to deal with thieves in your bar.
this post brought to you by #summerofmargaritas10 cause, yeah it's going to be that kinda of summer where mixed drinks with tequila is going to taste all types of good and stuff, this summer '10 get yourself some margaritas and holler at ya boy.

Tuffy
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Tuffy »

Yeah, big improtant shit like bar mirrors are no nos.

How little the item will be missed is an important factor here.

And, as pointet out earlier, "Can I have this ashtray?" will almost always net you an ashtray.
Nvnc est bibendvm.

Antonio Gramsci
Lord of Benders
Lord of Benders

Post by Antonio Gramsci »

The answer to the question is "yes." And it has never stopped me.
"What is your nationality?"
"I'm a drunkard."

mrpeeps
Super Drunkard
Super Drunkard

Post by mrpeeps »

I once filled my friends jacket pockets with glasses and ashtrays but that was more to piss him off then to steal them his drunken arse didn't even notice that he was taking half the bar home with him. His jacket was on the back of his chair he wasn't wearing it.