linux

That's right. You can put them right here.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

linux

Post by givemesomepils »

I've been thinking about installing linux to run instead of windows as soon as I find (if not then buy) a flashdrive that i can download it onto. anyway if their anyone that is tech savvy that has any advice i would love to here it.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." hunter s. thompson god rest his soul

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Re: linux

Post by Mr. Viking »

I ran Ubuntu 11 for about 3 months, then puppy linux. They were similar to windows before plug and play. Great if you want to boot up uickly. I went back to windows because I got a new computer. I didn't look back because I struggled to troubleshoot. I would say give it a go, but if you don't understand why you want linux you probably won't get the best from it. I downloaded ubuntu from their website onto a flash drive and got a choice from the boot menu. It isn't worthwhile having installed alongside your other operating system unless you have a genuine reason to use it because it takes up a lot of space. I enjoyed it as a learning experience but would recommend backing up and cleaning your hard drive any time you switch operating system, for a better comparison
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Yes. also, how good are you with computer coding?

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

please not that I am a luddite so if I can uuse it anyone can, I just struggled to get any new hardware or software to work with it. I thought it would help me become better at code and such but I was too lazy to really try
"I spent all of my money on cars, women and booze, the rest of it I squandered" G. Best

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by givemesomepils »

Mr. Viking wrote:I ran Ubuntu 11 for about 3 months, then puppy linux. They were similar to windows before plug and play. Great if you want to boot up uickly. I went back to windows because I got a new computer. I didn't look back because I struggled to troubleshoot. I would say give it a go, but if you don't understand why you want linux you probably won't get the best from it.
i want it because of lack of viruses, and also to possibly get whonix to use along with tor. and also to force my self to get more into coding.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." hunter s. thompson god rest his soul

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by givemesomepils »

mistah willies wrote:Yes. also, how good are you with computer coding?
not to proficient but I'm forcing myself to use the command promt more in windows and am starting to get the hang of the very basics before i make the switch I might need to get a more compatible computer mabye I'll see if my family will help me out with that at christmas.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Yeah for the usual software one uses you always have to hit a menu and type in a code to run it. Other than that try it. I have my old computer still sitting behind me for years telling myself that one day when I`m not to lazy I`ll try it as a testbed. It`s catching dust for almost two years now so...
Drink!

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

If you need a compatible computer, buy something old and cheap. Unless you suddenly become very good at coding you're hardly going to stretch it to its limits

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Mr. Viking wrote:If you need a compatible computer, buy something old and cheap. Unless you suddenly become very good at coding you're hardly going to stretch it to its limits
Go away,yyou`re tottally dsrunik on skpye!
Drink!

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by givemesomepils »

Mr. Viking wrote:If you need a compatible computer, buy something old and cheap. Unless you suddenly become very good at coding you're hardly going to stretch it to its limits
ok. i just need to find a store around me that offers used technology. I don't know of any, but I'm sure a google search will show a few near me.

oldsmartskunk
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by oldsmartskunk »

You damn nerds! I almost spilled my drink,because of your dorkyness. Now say 20 heil bacchus and drink! Drink until there will be no more discussions about linux!
Oh and here's a song for you, just to make it clear!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aigSo-Mk3pI

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

I'm so nerdy that I thought that song was cool.

Nice find d00d!

givemesomepils
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by givemesomepils »

oldsmartskunk wrote: Oh and here's a song for you, just to make it clear!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aigSo-Mk3pI
lol

Mr. Viking
Hooching Like Hemingway
Hooching Like Hemingway

Post by Mr. Viking »

I have an old pc running windows xp and I might go linux with it so we can compare and comtrast. Going to have it wired into my tv and Hi Fi as an entertainment cantre

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

^ ^ ^

That's some damned manly nerd shit right there. I think my rum just got pregnant.

Time for a fresh