After a period?

That's right. You can put them right here.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

After a period?

Post by Savage »

I can't believe people are still arguing about whether one should use one or two spaces after a period in a sentence.
Really, isn't that like getting into a froth over which way the toilet paper leads, backwards or forwards?
Life is too short to argue inconsequentials. Drink up. (yeah, that was three. I think. Pthhp.)
like tears in rain

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: After a period?

Post by mistah willies »

Ohhh...

I thought it was three lines between each sentence.

Damn. Just kidding, and more kidding will follow, after this:

I quite agree with you, Dear Lady Savage. More attention should be focused on the intent of the content of a writing, and less on how properly and grammerly it was contributed to the collective, human literature thing. Folks need time to get them ideas out, instead of pissing about the proper placing of a period inside or outside of an ending quote mark or those damned parentheses.

As far as spaces between lines, it helps this broke-ass Drunkard Injun. Truly.

Seriously, it's because I have Drunkard-Lexia for the reason I have to have so many spaces between the lines I write.

Otherwise,itappearstome thatthereshouldbesomespaces betweenthingsthathavebeenwritten onmostofthechatboards like whensomeonewritesahugeblockoftextand Ican'tevenseewhattheyhavewritten.

I hereby promise to use more than one or two spaces between my sentences after each period, you know. ...For them Punctuation-trolls who sit at their screens, waiting for some dreaded ellipses to be used improperly (without protection, and without Drinking). BTW, abbreviations for normal words can go fuck themselves, LOL. We have more important considerations. Like, DRINKing.

And also, what have you been up to, my friend?

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Yuo all should know that our source for all things pertaining to grammar, spelling, and punctuation is DivaBitch so why not consult her ?

l hear she's still sluttin' around the Jade Ocean Sunny Isles Byach Apartments, particularly in the Jewcuzzi, or Mikveh, for those of you who are not privy .

SavageXmasJjelloshot wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:28 am

Really, isn't that like getting into a froth over which way the toilet paper leads, backwards or forwards?

And toilet paper goes in the front except under these circumstances: you have a cat that knows how to unravel it then it goes in back (which my cat thankfully has yet to discover the potential ravenous fun of toilet paper destruction) . Or, you're a single dude and then it is placed on top of the toilet tank (or floor) .
Last edited by Artful Drunktective on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Okole maluna!

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

I have to admit that I until recently, I adhered to the old "double space after a period" rule. I did this for two reasons. First, I learned to type as a youngster on a real old-fashioned Selectric typer. (I also still stick to "ASDF JKL;" finger placement).

Second, I worked as a writer for a trade publication and had to follow the AP Stylebook. That was the way it was.

The AP Stylebook, in my opinion, is the final word when it comes to punctuation and grammar. However, it doesn't claim to be the Bible - with each word being the one and only truth and which will never change. With AP, things change from time-to-time with good reason.

The current Stylebook explains that there are Monospaced Fonts and Proportional Fonts. Typewriters used monospaced fonts and needed two spaces after a sentence for good readability. But the wide availability of proportional fonts on computers led to the switch to one space.

So, there it is. The truth. One space is correct.

With that said, I still find myself using two. Just out of habit.

The more you know.
DRINK!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Dear Booze wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:31 pm
The current Stylebook explains that there are Monospaced Fonts and Proportional Fonts. Typewriters used monospaced fonts and needed two spaces after a sentence for good readability. But the wide availability of proportional fonts on computers led to the switch to one space.
DUH! Everybody who has kept up with current stylebooks knows the difference between monospaced vs. proportional fonts. Even Keanu Reeves!

No but seriously, thanks for the insight. You musta been that kid in typing class raising your hand all excitedly to get called on for the answers. (I was too). But now isn't it MLA-or the highway? Then you have to take those glottal stops like the ʻokina into consideration when spacing because you don't want it to look like it's alienating the rest of the word. And let's not even get into the desecration of citation formatting thanks to the abhorrent lack of rules on the interweb. It's utter chaos.

This double spaced period is for yuo, Smarty Pants McGee . Cheers!
Okole maluna!

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Artful Detective wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:54 am
But now isn't it MLA-or the highway?
Fuck MLA! It's for pussies. And Fuck the Chicago Style of Writing. Those assholes can't follow the rules, so they make up their own and then shoot you if you disagree. And don't even start with APA. It is the Rosemary Kennedy of stylebooks; it started off wild and then, through too much tinkering, it became retarded.

MLA is good for high school and college essays. And that's about it. How many times do you need to cite references in real life?

As far as the abbreviation of words that has come from using the interwebs, I say bravo! LMAO. Just yesterday, it occurred to me that kids are now better readers than when I was a kid. Remember those stupid kids in school? The ones who, when called on to read out loud, would stumble and fumble through easy words and sentences? That doesn't happen anymore. So, to me, the silly abbreviations are an acceptable exchange for a world who reads and comprehends better than any former generation.
DRINK!

peetie44
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by peetie44 »

If typing on paper, I'd double-space.

On the internet, few people (if any?) double-space...so why bother?
"Man i once bought $101 worth of insect candy because it was free shipping on orders over 100 bucks." -- ThirstyDrunk

"I wanted a shark high on crack dumped into a piranha tank! I wanted college AD's to pull their human faces off, then dive at each other's lizard throats!" -- waahoohah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q01p7k6T ... e=youtu.be

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Periods dont matter and neither does grammar or rules because the future is all just one big run on sentence with no commas or periods or any of those wierd upside down mexican question marks and the same goes for capitalization of proper nouns since most people dont even know what a proper noun is anyway but then probably wouldntcarebecauseifyougofarenoughintothefuturewellevenquitusingthespacebarfromevolvingsuchlargebrainsanditjustgetsworseandworseandworseandworse
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Dear Booze

Post by Dear Booze »

Badfellow wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:29 pm
Periods dont matter and neither does grammar or rules because the future is all just one big run on sentence with no commas or periods or any of those wierd upside down mexican question marks and the same goes for capitalization of proper nouns since most people dont even know what a proper noun is anyway but then probably wouldntcarebecauseifyougofarenoughintothefuturewellevenquitusingthespacebarfromevolvingsuchlargebrainsanditjustgetsworseandworseandworseandworse
Please allow me to edit your post for you.

It's notnot a "run on" sentence. It's "run-on". Geez! What a fucking idiot!
DRINK!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Dear Booze wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:50 am

Artful Detective wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:54 am
But now isn't it MLA-or the highway?

Those assholes can't follow the rules, so they make up their own and then shoot you if you disagree.

There are no rules. They think it's 'Nam.
Dear Booze wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:40 pm
Badfellow wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:29 pm
Please allow me to edit your post for you.

It's notnot a "run on" sentence. It's "run-on". Geez! What a fucking idiot!
Not to mention, he didn't even know that this "wierd" (¿¿¿)'s proper nomenclature is an inverted question mark. Come on! What is this, amateur hour? Sheesh.

Works cited:
Booze, D. (2017). Re: After a period? After a period? Retrieved from http://www.drunkard.com/bbs/viewtopic.p ... 2#p1161642
Okole maluna!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

You are both nerds.

mistah willies
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by mistah willies »

Badfellow wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:12 pm
You are both nerds.
HA!

In-friggin-deed.

Also, Little,Brown was instructional, but Strunk and White will always be the Bible.

I mean, hey what the hell you-all talking'bout? You buncha apostolic apostrophes.

*hiccup*

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

¿Ellipsis or ellipses?

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Badfellow wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:13 am
¿Ellipsis or ellipses?
Ellipsis...and yes, total nerds. And drunkards. Self-admitted and proud.
Okole maluna!

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

What the fuck ever happened to the Hunt and Peckers?
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice