Does anybody here NOT own a television?

That's right. You can put them right here.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Does anybody here NOT own a television?

Post by scream ale »

^^^ You truly are a wise old skunk

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Waiting for dark to fall so that I can take my television (and endtable) out to the alley. At that point, I will no longer own a television.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

I can understand ditching the TV but dude a good endtable is hard to find.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

The deed is done. The TV and end table are in the alley. After 30 years, I no longer own a TV

RIPT2.0
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by RIPT2.0 »

Reading is a lot more entertaining anyway, except that my glasses keep breaking and I tend to forget what I read after a few drinks.

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

Both TV and end table were gone at 9 o'clock this morning.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Regretting it already aren't you?

Hugh
King Cockeyed
King Cockeyed

Post by Hugh »

scream ale wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:28 pm
LOL! Kind of. It just feels odd, like a television is something people are SUPPOSED to have and I don't have one.

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Hugh wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:36 pm
scream ale wrote:
LOL! Kind of. It just feels odd, like a television is something people are SUPPOSED to have and I don't have one.
But is it better to have no TV and feel odd or have a TV that no longer picks up channels? Like my TV.

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Hugh wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:36 pm
scream ale wrote:
You were drunk, you also threw your microwave oút the window. Toaster is gone too
Drink!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

First the end table then the toaster? You damn fool! Do you think these luxuries grow on trees?!?

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Yep we were the lucky bastages to witness this tomfoolery.
Okole maluna!

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

We have a television machine (sorry, that's a reference of sorts from an old Dick Van Dyke show It saw as a small child) but it is not hooked up to anything that will transmit tv. We use it as a machine to watch our dvds (previously, VHS tapes, previously Beta tapes, yes, we are old) and so I suppose we don't really "own a television".

Really, from what I've seen (in places other than my home) tv is just plain stupid. One must devote a lot of time to winnow through the chaff to find the grain. I have my handy dandy computer to watch newer things and read the news. I subscribe to the New York Times, and, I am sorry to say, Grumpy continues to insist that I subscribe to the fish wrap that passes for a newspaper in these parts. It actually costs ten dollars a month more than digital access to the Times and is too thin to use as potty paper.

The last time we had tv access was in Okinawa, when we were able to watch FEN (forced entertainment network) which showed us anything they could get from the US plus local news coverage by Marines and other military sorts. My children and I loved to watch the Simpsons back in the day, especially during those long weeks when Daddy was deployed in Korea (or wherever) or on a float. Frasier was a pretty darn good show, too. The first time we went over together, our eldest daughter (the former teeny-tiny Marine) was just a wee slip. I never turned on the tv during the day, until one morning, as "I hope when you grow up you have a child just like you!" was having a particularly nasty tantrum, I turned on the machine while I searched for a video tape, as opposed to hitting her with a cast iron skillet and throwing myself into the East China Sea.

And then, there was this man. Well, first there was this tinkly sweet music, and then an older gent came in the door and took off his jacket and put on a sweater, and changed his shoes to the kind of boat sneakers my daddy used to wear, and he sang softly and then he said, "Won't you be my neighbor"

We never missed a show. I guess some of them were old re-runs, but I enjoyed the visits to different sorts of factories and other places. When I was huuugely stressing out over the election, I called up the mushroom ladies episode. I had forgotten about Mr. Rogers unfortunate decision to try playing the trumpet. I wish I could find the Crayon color guy one. That was interesting.

I loved Mr. Rogers because he made my little girl happy. And, Mrs. Rogers, I love the way you told off that bastard Trump.
like tears in rain

Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Savage »

Oh and the Oneida spoon guy.
And the one where Mr. Rogers had to go to the hospital for an operation and a very nervous camera-shy lady (his wife) was there. After the operation
Mr Rogers posted from his bed where it was clear that the anesthetic fog had not entirely cleared. What a wonderful man he was. He just wanted to reassure children that even when things were bad, they would be okay and there were people who loved them. Ooh yes. I had such a crush. Why do you ask fark. my question mark doesn't work again. Neither does my letter gd! last letter of the alphabet. grrrr time to buy a new computer i guess
like tears in rain

oettinger
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by oettinger »

Savage wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:29 am
Frasier was a pretty darn good show, too.
AD is a Frasier fanatic.

We only watch "real" TV to pass out to the golden girls or bob`s burgers. That`s it. Commercials suck so bad we have to switch it off mostly though
Drink!