Oh Sammich glory, and where to find 'em

That's right. You can put them right here.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Re: Oh Sammich glory, and where to find 'em

Post by Artful Drunktective »

Merchant Seaman wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:30 am
Dear Booze wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:43 am
This reminded me of the Malibu Chicken that Sizzler used to have. Fuck, Sizzler was terrible. But, fuck, that chicken was the best!

Now I'm going to have to figure out how to make it at home.
https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/malibu-chicken/
Never heard of it. Checked out the recipe. Looks good, like a deconstructed cordon bleu.
Okole maluna!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Patchez wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:00 pm
Spicy cheese like jalapeno or habanero are great on breaded chicken sammies. Grilled chicken depending on marinate can be good aged cheddar for roasted herb style while italian or balsamic dressings lend themselves toward a good asagio.

Swiss or Jarlsburg go with any chicken sammie.
Usually I go for fried chicken sammies, but this one chain -54th Street Bar & Grill- had a "Chicken Avocado" sammy that was one of my go-to's and it actually wasn't breaded. I think the avocado won me over. It consisted of grilled chicken, smashed avocado, smoked bacon, Monterey jack, arugula, tomato, and avocado ranch and I have to say...if it's grilled chicken...cheese is a fkin must!
Okole maluna!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Nausea wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:53 pm
Beno are you like a food genius or something? I have no idea what you're talking about.
Yes, yes he is and no one else does either but damn, it sounds awesome nonetheless.
Okole maluna!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

benitobeast69 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:55 pm
Patchez wrote:
Spicy cheese like jalapeno or habanero are great on breaded chicken sammies. Grilled chicken depending on marinate can be good aged cheddar for roasted herb style while italian or balsamic dressings lend themselves toward a good asagio.

i love a fried chicken sandwich with a good blue like Stilton and some hot peppers on top. like a broken down buffalo and blue cheese lol
That sounds awesome. Bleu cheese seems to be a popular choice. I've never had this but Chili's has a Chicky Chicky Bleu Sandwich - crispy chicken, lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado, bacon, bleu cheese crumbles, bleu cheese dressing on a brioche bun. Looks insane.

https://www.chilis.com/menu/sandwiches/ ... u-sandwich
Okole maluna!

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:43 am
benitobeast69 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:55 pm
Patchez wrote:

i love a fried chicken sandwich with a good blue like Stilton and some hot peppers on top. like a broken down buffalo and blue cheese lol
That sounds awesome. Bleu cheese seems to be a popular choice. I've never had this but Chili's has a Chicky Chicky Bleu Sandwich - crispy chicken, lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado, bacon, bleu cheese crumbles, bleu cheese dressing on a brioche bun. Looks insane.

https://www.chilis.com/menu/sandwiches/ ... u-sandwich
as much as i enjoy it in some dishes or on its own....i kind feel the avocado has joined the club of over used burger ingredients..along with mac an cheese and pulled pork.

this burger still look very very very very good though....how much better does blue cheese crumbles sound as well compared to a slice of blue cheese. i automatically assume i'm getting some real cheese.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

benitobeast69 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:41 am
as much as i enjoy it in some dishes or on its own....i kind feel the avocado has joined the club of over used burger ingredients..along with mac an cheese and pulled pork.
I agree that on this particular sandwich, the avocado is not necessary as there is already a lot going on. I bet it gets totally lost in there. But I disagree about avos in general, as I tend to go for sandwiches that have them. 100% agree though on the mac n' cheese and pulled pork. No way.

Another thing I'm noticing appearing more and more on sandwiches in 'murrica - primarily burgers - is pimento cheese. Never tried it though so no opinion yet.
Okole maluna!

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:29 am
benitobeast69 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:41 am
I agree that on this particular sandwich, the avocado is not necessary as there is already a lot going on. I bet it gets totally lost in there. But I disagree about avos in general, as I tend to go for sandwiches that have them. 100% agree though on the mac n' cheese and pulled pork. No way.

Another thing I'm noticing appearing more and more on sandwiches in 'murrica - primarily burgers - is pimento cheese. Never tried it though so no opinion yet.
I hadn't heard of it but just did a quick google...sounds ok. sounds a bit like an uncooked queso though. hah I feel like sticking the whole tub in your smoker for a half hour or so would improve it.

I bet you'd love this AD...my new fave cheese atm...it's like Gorgonzola but with mixed in hot peppers...actually packs more of a punch than i was expecting. really good!!

Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Any cheese named after Satan is good in my book.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Dear Booze wrote:
This reminded me of the Malibu Chicken that Sizzler used to have. Fuck, Sizzler was terrible. But, fuck, that chicken was the best!
Sizzler, eh? It was like two parts Ponderosa and one part public school cafeteria with a dash of Stuart Anderson Cattle Company thrown in as an afterthought. Yes, Sizzler was known for it’s gristly cuts of beef as well as their all-you-can-stuff-in-your-face salad bar. In fact, Sizzler was amongst the first chain of restaurants to install a sneeze guard on their salad bars. Apparently there was a lot of sneezing back in the 80s due to widespread cocaine use.

Malibu Chicken sounds like the kind of sandwich a coke fiend would order along with a Bartles & Jaymes Fuzzy Navel wine cooler.

Dear Booze
Drinking God's Good Scotch
Drinking God's Good Scotch

Post by Dear Booze »

Badfellow wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:12 pm
Dear Booze wrote:
Sizzler, eh? It was like two parts Ponderosa and one part public school cafeteria with a dash of Stuart Anderson Cattle Company thrown in as an afterthought. Yes, Sizzler was known for it’s gristly cuts of beef as well as their all-you-can-stuff-in-your-face salad bar. In fact, Sizzler was amongst the first chain of restaurants to install a sneeze guard on their salad bars. Apparently there was a lot of sneezing back in the 80s due to widespread cocaine use.

Malibu Chicken sounds like the kind of sandwich a coke fiend would order along with a Bartles & Jaymes Fuzzy Navel wine cooler.
Yep. You nailed it. The chain was founded in 1958 as Sizzler Family Steak House by Del and Helen Johnson in Culver City, California. The chain is still composed of more than 270 locations throughout the U.S. Most of Sizzler's U.S. locations are in the West, Florida, and other area where cocaine use is still prevalent.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, Sizzler promoted steak and combination steak dinners with an optional salad bar. The restaurant wanted to give customers the feel of a full-service restaurant at a price slightly more than a fast food chain. To control costs, many restaurants had in-house meat cutters that would cut steaks, grind beef, and sell cocaine. This led the company to extend their business model to include Sneezler restaurants, which became famous for their "all you can snort Sunday special" program.

Into the early to mid 1980s, competition appeared: Ponderosa Steakhouse and Go Go Powder, Bonanza Steak and Blowhouse, and The Hole Bar and Snort Stop.

Sizzler filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 1996 ("to escape costly leases due to receding level of cocaine use."), and closed over 130 of its locations. The company reemerged from Chapter 11 in 1997. During the late 1990s, new management lowered the quality of food, increased prices and began selling crack. Sizzler began an image makeover circa 2002. A new restaurant concept was created, featuring a lighter and more open dining room, nude waitresses, and free handjobs. The changes were accompanied by a new menu. In an effort to return to its roots, Sizzler emphasized cocaine, crack, heroin, PCP, and an assortment of pills.

Sizzler was sold to De'Shaun "The Mongoose" Jones, LLC, a South Central Los Angeles-based investment firm, in 2005.

Sizzler has launched its "SS" food truck to expand sales and test market new dishes in Germany and select locations in Austria.
DRINK!

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

Blow, steak, coacaine, beef, naked chicks, sizzlefied meats, booger sugar, dead animal on a clean plate, hand jobs...how did this not conquer the planet?

Seriously though I never knew Sizzler was a real place. I only heard the name in movies and on TV shows. Then again I'm not from out west or Florida and I've always avoided cocaine.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

I like going to Sizzler right after doing a line and hitting the open seas on my Lund.
Okole maluna!

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Merchant Seaman »

In the 70's and 80's there were a string of joints around the Bay Area called Sirloin & Brew, slightly better quality meats than Sizzler, salad bar and free soup (with meal) but the best part was unlimited beer or sangria with your meal.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Dear Booze wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:31 pm
Sizzler was sold to De'Shaun "The Mongoose" Jones, LLC, a South Central Los Angeles-based investment firm, in 2005.
Yes, I remember that chain. It was called The Shizzler and was a Compton-themed steakhouse specializing in everything being battered and deep fried in Jheri Curl oil. Shizzler restaurants offered a fantastic value to hungry-ass mo’fuckas with it’s coupon discounts and family feed bucket specials. Although it is fair to say that the quality of the food suffered due to the predominantly felon/drug addicted staff as well as the sheer amount of money being laundered through the tills of the restaurant itself.

The Shizzler closed it’s doors forever in August of 2008 when all 120 franchise locations simultaneously burst into flame.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Don't forget!

Okole maluna!