Oh Sammich glory, and where to find 'em

That's right. You can put them right here.

Moderators: Artful Drunktective, mistah willies, NYDingbat, Judge, oettinger, Oggar, Badfellow, Mr Boozificator

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Re: Oh Sammich glory, and where to find 'em

Post by scream ale »

oettinger wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:13 pm
Nausea wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:05 pm
oettinger wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:04 am
That cheese block sandwich looks... cheesy
Looks like a bunch of Kraft slices. You will either have horrendous diarrhea or simply become a block of cheese yourself.
Well I`m no cheese
You are king cheese. The whole world knows it.

Patchez
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by Patchez »

I'm with Scream. Reuben or Brisket. Throw in the Pastrami as a close 3rd.
Now you're ready for some anti-dry-otics!-BeerMakesMeSmarter

If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't fuck with them-Todd Snider

Blackout and be extraordinary-Absinthe of Malice

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Post by Artful Drunktective »

So I went to Katz's website after oett complained about the lack of sauces in the sandwich pics. They do have their own mustard they serve on the tables, and they also offer Russian dressing and mayo (although they aren't thrilled with you effin' up their sandwiches with mayo). Anyway all these sandwiches run about $25.00 if you drunkards can believe it. No doubt it's good...but is it really $25.00 good? I don't think I need Katz's in my life that badly. Or any $25.00 sandwich for that matter.
Okole maluna!

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

$25.00 for a sandwich is definitely one of the signs of an appending apocalypse. Pretty sure it’s in Revelations: "And behold a pale turkey sandwich on rye that was $25, and it was a total rip-off."

Let’s just say for $25 I would make all you bastards the sandwich of your choice AND on the bread of your choice. None of this fascist rye bread bullshit either. I’d rather have a McGoebels than give Katz my hard earned reichsmarks.
ພາສາລາວNONE GENUINE WITHOUT MY SIGNATUREພາສາລາວ

scream ale
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Post by scream ale »

That can't be more than $9 worth of meat

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Had the turkey salad sandwich from this menu recently. They were nice enough to add avocado and bacon. Beyond delicious. It was only $13.00 and it came with a pile of fries. What really makes the sandwich special though is that it comes served on a buttery croissant. Maybe give it a dip in some spicy mustard.

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

scream ale wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:32 am
That can't be more than $9 worth of meat
Ok if that is indeed the case, then you made me realize something and I must elaborate. The $25.00 is for an entire sandwich- like both halves- not just the one half featured in the photos. My bad! So yeah maybe that is about right cost-wise.
Okole maluna!

Merchant Seaman
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by Merchant Seaman »

Dingfelder's Deli in Seattle

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

Kramarczuks in Minneapolis is sammich glory. Totally bangin’ Polish sausage too.

Badfellow
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Post by Badfellow »

By the way, I’m not hating on the rye. Only that there is such a wide world of bread out there beyond the dense, caraway scented borders of rye. Pastrami on a baguette with gruyêre and pickled onions…

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Badfellow wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:33 pm
By the way, I’m not hating on the rye. Only that there is such a wide world of bread out there beyond the dense, caraway scented borders of rye. Pastrami on a baguette with gruyêre and pickled onions…
Rye rocks on a patty melt and a Reuben but I think I'd actually prefer the baguette overall.
Okole maluna!

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

I'm more than happy to come to the baguette party...really good french baguette with just some awesome cheese like Saint Felicien, maybe a couple of grapes or some fig.

used to be able to get awesome baguette all over the placer here...I say awesome, they were just about serviceable compared to the real deal, but still...you have to pretty much go to a full on bakery nowadays to get anything decent.

what do you guys think of the humble ciabatta? The deli near me does great ones which I always buy for mopping up pasta sauce... they use them for awesome hot or cold sandwiches as well...one of my faves is called "Peter the Goat"..it's goat's cheese log, prosciutto, roasted aubergine and peppers finished with a red onion marmalade.
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

benitobeast69 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:33 pm
I'm more than happy to come to the baguette party...really good french baguette with just some awesome cheese like Saint Felicien, maybe a couple of grapes or some fig.

That sounds AMAZING. I'm all about the cheese and fruits combo.

benitobeast69 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:33 pm

what do you guys think of the humble ciabatta? The deli near me does great ones which I always buy for mopping up pasta sauce... they use them for awesome hot or cold sandwiches as well...one of my faves is called "Peter the Goat"..it's goat's cheese log, prosciutto, roasted aubergine and peppers finished with a red onion marmalade.
LOVE ciabatta. I just bought one yesterday from the bakery section in Aldi and it's super soft. Gonna make roast beef French dips today for lunch but using ciabatta instead because the baguettes were kinda hard. Normally though, I like to make caprese sandwiches out of them (mozz, tomatoes, fresh basil, and pesto).

Onion jam. Wow. Will have to give that a try. I've also never had bacon jam. Where have these jams been all my life?
Okole maluna!

Artful Drunktective
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

While we are riding the bread train, there was a favorite sandwich of mine from this one establishment I would frequent and it was a nicely seasoned chicken breast with lettuce, tomato, roasted red peppers and and herbed aioli on Focaccia bread. Sounds like nothing special but when it all came together on thick slices of that garlicky bread, it was heavenly. I'd recreate it but can't find Focaccia of course. I'll have to do what beno said and try to find an Italian bakery I guess.
Okole maluna!

benitobeast69
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Post by benitobeast69 »

Artful Drunktective wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:09 am
While we are riding the bread train, there was a favorite sandwich of mine from this one establishment I would frequent and it was a nicely seasoned chicken breast with lettuce, tomato, roasted red peppers and and herbed aioli on Focaccia bread. Sounds like nothing special but when it all came together on thick slices of that garlicky bread, it was heavenly. I'd recreate it but can't find Focaccia of course. I'll have to do what beno said and try to find an Italian bakery I guess.
Making focaccia is simple enough if you're not making the super thin dough stuffed kind (they are awesome though but tricky and prob not what you want for your sammmidge)

I use this recipe now, it's the best one I've found...I'm sure you can get all the ingredients..if you can't get 00 flour then you can get by with a strong bread flour, it's what I used to use in the past.
It's in Italian obvs but you can put subtitles on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xphr-BVGcNM
Hangover cure: Rigorous sex, hydration, hot bath, then "go up for half an hour in an open aeroplane." - Kinglsey Amis